5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 6:11 AM by mcb1

Arduino

yevykuz

I just started to work with the Arduino UNO R3 and my question is can put 12V in to arduino or not?

• Re: Arduino
          jw0752

The Arduino Uno has a built in linear regulator that will accept voltages as high as 12 volts on the VIN terminal or through the barrel DC adapter plug. The linear regulator then drops the 12 volts down to 5 volts for the Atmel CPU and other chips to use. The minimum unregulated voltage that you can use is about 7 volts. This is because the linear regulator needs some room to work with, in this case 2 volts more than the 5 volts. Finally if you have a regulated 5 volt source like a USB connection then the 5 volts from that source is put into the circuit after the linear regulator which isn't used in that case. This regulated 5 volts can be connected through the USB port or by connection to the 5V header pin jack.

John

jw0752

One more thing you will need to watch the polarity of the voltage. The center of the barrel jack is positive as is the VIN header pin. The GND and the outer connection of the barrel jack are negative.

John

mcb1

Since you've posted this in Car Electronics, I'm assumming you intend to mount it in vehicle.

Car electronics generally run at 14.2v when the engine is running, so while the Arduino is rated for 12v, you're tending to be just past the compfortable range.

For my application I added a 7808 (8v) regulator ahead of the Arduino to give it some protection.

There are some ruggedised versions available that do 24v DC (Industry standard) but since you're likely to be adding parts anyway, a regulator is one more item.

This is one useful one that goes up to 20v

Eleven (100% Arduino Uno Compatible) | Freetronics

Mark