36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 3:40 AM by michaelkellett

Project IceStorm: fully open-source FPGA tools for Lattice iCE40

John Beetem

As some of you may have noticed, I've been obsessed for many decades with having open FPGA bitstream documentation so that people can write their own FPGA designs tools, especially FLOSS (Free-as-in-Liberty Open Source Software).

I recently found out about IceStorm, a project that has somehow reverse-engineered and documented the Lattice iCE40 FPGA.  They've actually put together a fully-open-source tool chain with Yosys for Verilog synthesis and Arachne_pnr for placement and routing.  I don't know how usable or robust the tools are.  I'm planning on taking a close look starting next month.

If you're interested, here's the IceStorm link, which has links to the other tools: Project IceStorm

Discussion of Yosys and the tools is at reddit: Yosys Open SYnthesis Suite

Update: Here are a couple of nice Hackaday items about IceStorm:

From 29 March 2015: Reverse Engineering Lattice’s iCE40 FPGA Bitstream | Hackaday

From 29 May 2015: An Open Source Toolchain For iCE40 FPGAs | Hackaday

Update 2: Here are some good IceStorm installation instructions: Projet IceStorm : le FPGA libéré ! | Front de Libération des FPGA.  They're in a combination of French and GNU/Linux.

Here's the Lattice IceStick directly supported by IceStorm: Lattice Semiconductor: ICE40HX1K-STICK-EVN iCEstick Evaluation Kit.  It's US$20.89 in the USA.

• Re: Project IceStorm: fully open-source FPGA tools for Lattice iCE40
          michaelkellett

I'm amazed and impressed at the amount of effort going into this but for so little gain !

Targeting the 1k part and no support for block ram or plls isn't really getting to the point where you could do any real design with the tools so the project has a very long way to go.

From a personal point of view it's such a shame they are using Verilog 2005  - which is a pretty low base for an HDL.

If it ever gets to the point of supporting the bigger iCE40 parts the packages will be a problem - some of the newer ones come in 0.5mm pitch BGA (or smaller if you like ).

MK

John Beetem

Michael Kellett wrote:

I'm amazed and impressed at the amount of effort going into this but for so little gain!

I see IceStorm as a huge step in the right direction.  IMO the best way to get vendors to document their bitstreams is to have projects like IceStorm and my Flavia show that it's possible to use FLOSS tools and that there are advantages to doing so, both for users and vendors.  For example, Flavia is much faster than Xilinx tools for small designs, making it a better platform for teaching programmable logic concepts.  I'm hoping these projects will embarrass Xilinx and Altera into opening their bitstreams.

I'm looking forward to playing with IceStorm.  While the iCE40 HX1K is indeed a small part, it's big enough for teaching about FPGAs and has a lot more capacity than any of my Flavia implementations.  So it looks like a good answer to morgaine's FPGA/CPLD education question: http://www.element14.com/community/thread/17692?start=56

dye025

Just FYI:

14 months on - now icestorm supports ice40(hx/lp)[1,4,8]k, in all packages, including the PLL's and embedded block srams.

There's a timing analysis tool too, and one for replacing sram images within bitfiles without recompiling.

All the tool install, compile and run happily on ARM SBC's in 32 and 64 bit flavours, and even in Mac OS X - AFAIK the only FPGA toolchain to work natively within those.

(although you will want at least 512MiB ram to run the toolchain on 8k designs without dipping into swap).

Given that the tools will run on a $5 RasPi Zero, and a fair few of the new development boards coming out support the RasPi's 40 pin connector, this makes it possible to have a low cost, embedded, and very high performance (due to the fpga logic) control system which can inexpensively be deployed whilst actually including all it's own documentation and locally hosted development tools.

And that's an entirely new capability - and certainly a gain!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                John Beetem

element14/Newark has a great price (US$20.89) on the Lattice IceStick, which is the development board used in the IceStorm demos: Lattice Semiconductor: ICE40HX1K-STICK-EVN iCEstick Evaluation Kit

John Beetem

I've got IceStorm running and my own examples working on an IceStick!

I installed IceStorm and its companion tools using instructions from: Projet IceStorm : le FPGA libéré ! | Front de Libération des FPGA.  Its in a combination of French and GNU/Linux.

Installing arachne-pnr was a pain since it's written in C++11, and the Ubuntu 12.04 I normally use has an older GCC.  Finding out how to update to 4.8.1 was an adventure, as usual.  Installing Yosys took over an hour on an ODROID-C1.  I guess I should be glad I could do it at all

The "rot" example -- which uses Yosys -- didn't work for me.  It compiled and loaded OK, but only set the LEDs to the initial pattern and didn't update it.  That's OK, because I really just need arachne-pnr and IceStorm for my work.  On the other hand, my own examples written in BLIF (Berkeley Logic Interchange Format) worked great once I figured out how to match LUT inputs I0-I3 to 16-bit truth tables.

[Update 9 August 2015:  The "rot" example works with a newer version of arachne-pnr I downloaded 4 August 2015.]

Arachne-pnr is very fast for my simple examples once it's loaded the IceStorm's iCE40-HX1K ASCII chip database, which is 7 MB.  The IceStorm tools are very fast.  An unmodified IceStick requires that IceStorm first programs the serial flash, so "iceprog" should be even faster if I have it download to FPGA configuration memory directly.  The HX1K binaries are only 32KB.

[Update 9 August 2015:  Newer versions of arachne-pnr convert IceStorm database files from text to binary as part of the "make" process.  Loading the binary database is very fast.]

My plan is to call Arachne-pnr and IceStorm from my XXICC project, using GCHD for synthesis.  This will make a nice companion to my Xilinx-based Flavia: the Free Logic Array.

John Beetem

johnbeetem wrote:

The "rot" example -- which uses Yosys -- didn't work for me.  It compiled and loaded OK, but only set the LEDs to the initial pattern and didn't update it...

Arachne-pnr is very fast for my simple examples once it's loaded the IceStorm's iCE40-HX1K ASCII chip database, which is 7 MB.

Both of these problems have been fixed in a newer version of arachne-pnr I downloaded 4 August 2015.  The "rot" example now works.  Arachne-pnr now converts IceStorm database files from ASCII to binary as part of the "make" process.  Loading the binary database is very fast.

John Beetem

iCEstick is now US$30.02 and out of stock at Newark (USA).  I don't know why it went up so much.  It's still US$21.86 at Lattice Semiconductor site.

IceStorm now supports the iCE40-HX8K with 7680 logic cells, which is 6 times the capacity of the HX1K with 1280 logic cells.  You can get an HX8K breakout board for US$42.88 at Lattice Semiconductor site.  It's not listed at Newark.

michaelkellett

The HX8K is big enough to do useful work although its lack of multipliers is a pain. It comes in BGA only -  the 132 ball 0.5mm pitch part is quite cheap but requires the use of exotic design rules to use all the pins. I think the OSHPark multi layer design rules will allow you to get one running and use most of the IO.

The part is also available in 0.8mm pitch 256 ball BGA which might allow easier design rules but I haven't tried.

I do wish Lattice would make ALL the ICE40xxxx parts available in TQFP - I'm sure it would increase the number of design ins quite a lot.

MK

peepo

John,

Are there any independently produced iCE40 breakout boards?

I did not find one, which is a concern,

as there are many guides, tutorials as well as cheap boards, for say Xilinx Spartan.

what is the reason?

Farnell UK are also out of stock.

I am keen to give IceStorm a whirl....

michaelkellett

I don't know of any.

I've designed ICE40 devices into a few commercial designs and get the impression that Lattice are only interested in supporting developers who will use huge numbers in any given design.

As I mentioned above it's a shame that the parts are mainly available only in difficult packages.

Having said that it's not hard to design a board to use the 1k part (which comes in TQFP) and I think it is possible to design a board using an 8k part in the 132 ball 0.5mm BGA package using OSHPark's 4 layer design rules. I've designed boards with that package but with 0.075mm track and gap rules which is a bit pricey (think in terms of £450 for 12 off 25mm x 100mm boards).

If I could drum up any interest I would be keen to help design a board for either part.

If you are in the UK why not come to the UK OSHG jamboree at the end of this month and see if you can find any like minded collaborators. (wutheringbytes.com)

MK

John Beetem

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

Are there any independently produced iCE40 breakout boards?

I did not find one, which is a concern, as there are many guides, tutorials as well as cheap boards, for say Xilinx Spartan.  what is the reason?

I don't know of any independent iCE40 breakout boards either.  I would say that the reason is that the boards from Lattice as so cheap (especially the iCEstick at approx US$22) that it would be hard for an independent board maker to compete.  IMO independent FPGA development boards are generally expensive because they're produced in small quantities, which drives up manufacturing costs a lot.  A smart IC vendor sells eval boards at or below cost and considers this to be part of marketing cost.

Xilinx has been around a long time, so it's not surprising that there are lots of moderately-priced boards available.  I won't say cheap, because I don't consider US$70 and up "cheap" for a Spartan-6 development board when you can get a RasPi 2 or equivalent for US$35.  OTOH, the independent boards are a lot cheaper than official Xilinx development boards, so there is definitely a market for them.  Avnet used to have a dandy Spartan-3A board they priced at $49 (and sometimes $39), which was very attractive at the time.

I often recommend Gadget Factory's Papilio One 250K as a great little board for US$38.  While the Spartan-3E 250K is now a "mature" product, it's a very nice FPGA to work with and the Papilio One brings out 48 GPIOs to headers (plus UART RX/TX) so it's great for projects with lots of I/O.  You do have to face the steep Xilinx ISE software learning curve.

For people getting started with FPGAs, particularly those who just want to play a little to see if FPGAs are something they want to pursue more seriously, IMO iCEstick with IceStorm and its companion tools are the best way to go.  Xilinx ISE is a very powerful tool suite, but it's intended for serious FPGA developers who are more willing to climb the learning curve.

JMO/YMMV

peepo

how is this different to the Lattice offering?

ie what is the significant benefit or what used to be known as USP?

Jan Cumps

Look at what devbisme2 did with the reverse engineered bitstream:

DAB

Hi John,

Having worked in the bit-slice world I understand your interest in FPGA devices.

Just having access to the raw power of the silicon to solve problems is definitely addicting.

Alas, I can no longer handle the detail needed to put this level of implementation to good use.

Do you have any projects planned or are you just getting the tools ready to use?

DAB

John Beetem

DAB wrote:

Do you have any projects planned or are you just getting the tools ready to use?

I'm planning to incorporate IceStorm and arachne-pnr into my XXICC (21st Century Co-design) software.  This will provide an alternate open-source design flow, with designs specified using my GCHD (GalaxC for Hardware Design) text language and/or logic diagrams instead of Verilog or VHDL.  GCHD is IMO a much cleaner language and lends itself better to synthesis than Verilog and VHDL, which are designed primarily for simulation.  For IceStorm, XXICC will synthesize GCHD into BLIF (Berkeley Logic Interchange Format), the input format for arachne-pnr.  The output of arachne-pnr is a text file for IceStorm, which generates the Lattice bitstream.  XXICC doesn't need the Verilog step.

I actually have a proof-of-concept version working with Boolean-only designs.  I can go from GCHD to a running example in a couple seconds, much faster than Lattice tools.  I'd like to make some major improvements to my GCHD (GalaxC for Hardware Design) implementation before the next XXICC release.  Unfortunately, I've had too many other demands on my time to work on XXICC these days so I don't know when I'll be able to get back to all this goodness.

I don't have any specific hardware projects at this time.  My goal is to make FPGAs fun and easy.  They're very hard with vendor FPGA tools, and it's really held the technology back from its potential.  The yosys - arachne - IceStorm chain is a lot better, but I think XXICC will be even better... and more fun!

John Beetem

I found out from a friend about another iCE40 board: Olimex iCE40HX1K-EVB

It's a tiny board (5x5 cm or 2"x2") with an iCE40HX1K-VQ100, 256K x 16 SRAM, 16 Mb serial flash, 2 buttons, 2 LEDs, oscillator, and connectors.  You need an external programmer.

I don't know if they've prototyped any yet, or what they're going to charge.

It's good to see more iCE40 boards.  Lattice has been terrible about making iCEsticks available.  It think they must lose money on them.  iCEsticks are supposed to pay for themselves when companies use them for evaluation and then buy millions of iCE40 parts, but the payoff isn't immediate when tens of thousands of enthusiastic experimenters buy iCEsticks just to play with and then don't design high-volume products.  OTOH there's a big long-term payoff in getting people excited about Lattice parts, right?

Jan Cumps

John,

Here's Dave Vandenbout from Xess using the tools on a Raspberry Pi, I believe:

tobia

Is there any full-featured student board for the ICE40 8k?

I mean something with:

• leds and buttons
                                            • 7 segment displays
                                            • VGA output
                                            • audio DAC and ADC
                                            • some external SRAM
                                            • maybe an alphanumeric LCD or an OLED
                                            • maybe HDMI output
                                            • tons of headers
                                            • the requisite USB and flash memory stuff
                                            • last but not least, a decent clock like 100 MHz, not the 12 MHz rubbish of the HX8K breakout board!

With the advent and continued progress of project IceStorm, I'm sure a board like this would have an audience, even if it costs a lot (still, it had better not cost twice as much as an equivalent Altera or Xilinx board with the same I/O!)

I can get the HX8K breakout board and connect some of that stuff myself (the leds, buttons, probably the LCD and VGA) but I'm not sure I can connect an external SRAM or a HDMI port without frying anything (not that the 12 MHz clock would allow be to do much of anything with the latter.)

michaelkellett

You are not limited much by the 12MHz clock, the chip has PLLs so you can make faster clocks internally - but you would find getting timing closure hard on an HX40 at 100MHz.

The ICE40 8k architecture is very limited - the lack of multipliers makes any audio signal processing very expensive in terms of gates used.

Once you use fast clocks and add external memory and video interfaces the ultra low power advantage of the ICE40s isn't very relevant - you would find development much easier with a more powerful FPGA but you would need to use 'free' tools rather than open source.

I have used ICE40s in several completed and current commercial projects and they are great in their niche. The IceStorm project doesn't support VHDL so I haven't looked at it further.

MK