11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 4:59 AM by ChariotDriver

RoHS and MSDS

hongnguyen

I've inquired RoHS information for powder coat bought from a supplier. They provided a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), can I use it to determine RoHS status? Also, is MDS (Material Declartion Sheet) same as MSDS?

• Re: RoHS and MSDS
          clem57

Powder coating aluminium can involve a pretreatment of hexavalent chrome - so you need to specify that this is not used, as there are alternatives (not as good but it can be done) You should research more for RoHS.

Clem

ChariotDriver

When assessing product for RoHS compliance we will utilise a combination of documents which would include Technical Data Sheets, Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and Statements of Compliance. If the documentation appears a little "flaky" we would support them with tests.

With respect to Powder coating our experience to date has indicated that there is little to no risk with Powder coats but I agree with Clem that you should check  the conversion coating applied prior to powder coating as there is a risk of hexavalent chrome being used.

I doubt that the SDS will be sufficient on its own although it may well identify the presence Cr6.

Michael

hongnguyen

Thanks Michael for the information ! I also think the MSDS itself will not be sufficient for RoHS review , will check with the supplier on the presence of Cr6.  What is the difference between MDS and MSDS? 

I agree. I don't beleive any MSDS you may pick up states the material it refers to is RoHS Compliant. To date, I haven't come across any such MSDS that categorically states this. So for your own due dilligence, you should state on your specification/PO that you give our supplier that the Powder Coat must comply to RoHS (2011/65/EU) and get them to provide you a D of C or C of C stating they comply to demands. The loop is then closed.

Hope this helps

ChariotDriver

No SDS will contain a statement of RoHS compliance, that is not its intention, but the contents of section 3 can form part of the evidence in the risk assessment process.

Further I would argue is it insufficient to rely upon the CofC of some suppliers and a RoHS statement on your specification or Purchase order.

Prior to placing the order a risk assessment in terms of the materials and the supply chain should be carried out. The proprietary article, Raw Material or Finish process should be assessed for compliance prior to the placing of an order or indeed inclusion in a design. Your designs should be compliant by design and not be reliant upon an RoHS statement on the drawing. That is to say the materials, proprietary parts or finishes should have been pre-assessed before becoming part of a product and as such the product will be compliant by design.

I must get out more.........

Michael

ChariotDriver

So....

MDS = Manufacturers Data Sheet

Mainly performance data; sometimes material data and sometimes an indication of RoHS compliance for which we require further supporting evidence in the form of a specific Statement of Compliance (SoC).

MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet.

Note that both pieces of controlling legislation, REACH and GHS, now refer to MSDSs as SDSs Safety Data Sheets. The relevant information if any can be gleaned from section 3 of the SDS such as the presence of Lead Chromate.

Well thats my interpretation anyway.

May I recommend the ERA guide to compliance with RoHS legislation worldwide currently in its 6th Edition. The authors, Drs Paul Goodman and Chris Robertson, work closely with the authorities.

http://shop.era.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1254

I hope the above is of some assistance Hong Nguyen

Kind regards

Michael

I agree, and also confirm design compliance with regards to raw material & surface finish is made before release to manufacturing.

My point was trying to ensure a supplier confirms his role within the supply chain, and abides by any instruction imposed.

On a slightly different note, does anyone have an example of a RoHS Technical File they wish to share? Don't see the point of re-inventing the wheel if I can learn from those already in existance....I can only ask!

Thank you.