12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 12:54 PM by rickpandey

How come Rip * works but Smash * doesn't ?

hbridge99

As always Eagle is mysterious!

There's something in the help file which might indicate that it would

SMASH •..

What's up with that? Maybe Smash R* works?

Paul

• Re: How come Rip * works but Smash * doesn't ?
          Autodesk Guest

Paul Badger wrote:

As always Eagle is mysterious!

There's something in the help file which might indicate that it would

SMASH •..

thats a dot no '*'. A dot indicates a mouse click.

Whereas with 'ripup ' the '' actually is a parameter to the command

What's up with that? Maybe Smash R* works?

you can select multiply parts with the group command, then apply the

smash command to the group.

--

Lorenz

hbridge99

OK then consider this a feature request.  It's not rocket science to make it work like "Rip *" eh?

Yes I know I can fuss around with the group tool and make smash work, but it's just one more thing missing from Eagle.

dukepro

On 07/17/2015 09:25 AM, Paul Badger wrote:

OK then consider this a feature request.  It's not rocket science to

make it work like "Rip *" eh?

Yes I know I can fuss around with the group tool and make smash work,

but it's just one more thing missing from Eagle.

It's even easier than that.  Use the command line:

group all;

smash (C>0 0);

I use this to make sure all the text is vector font and has a

width:height ratio of 15%:

group all

smash (C>0 0)

group all

change font vector (C>0 0)

change ratio 15 (C>0 0);

I believe any or all of this can be assigned to a keystroke as well.

HTH,

- Chuck

hbridge99

Chuck,

Thanks for the tip. IMO it still should be a feature.

Just because it's possible to make Eagle work with collections of tips like this still doesn't excuse how irritating it is to have gather them.

With a proper GUI non of this would be necessary and power users could still use their collection of tips, ULPs, key commands that they have been collecting over the past three years that they have been learning Eagle. IMO that's how long it takes to decode the broken GUI.

</rant>

I'm calmer now

OK can you explain

smash (C>0 0)  to me?

thanks,

Paul

Autodesk Guest

Paul Badger wrote:

OK can you explain

smash (C>0 0)  to me?

help/Editor Commands/Command Syntax/Coordinates

--

Lorenz

dukepro

On 07/17/2015 02:49 PM, Paul Badger wrote:

OK can you explain

smash (C>0 0)  to me?

Look in the user manual, Section 5.2 under the area titled "Entering

Coordinates as Text".  In the English version it starts at the bottom of

page 93.

In short,

(0 0)    represents a left click at the origin

(10mil 20mil)    represents a left click at 10, 20 coordinates

measured in mils

(10mm 20mil)  represents a left click using mixed units for the

coordinates.

(>0 0)  represents a right click at the origin.

(C>0 0) represents a Ctrl-RightClick at the origin.

Typically Ctrl-RightClicks operates on a group.

In the context I provided earlier, it was preceded by a group command.

I'll through some prefixed comments in this time.

1. Adds all components to the group.  Be sure that the tOrigins

1. and bOrigins layers are displayed first

group all

1. Smash all components in the group.  Since we're operating on the

group,

1. it doesn't matter where the Ctrl-RightClick occurs.

smash (C>0 0);

1. Now that the names are selectable, be sure to include them in

1. the group

group all;

1. Change the font of all selected objects.  Obviously this will only

operate on

1. selected text objects.

change font vector (C>0 0);

1. Change the line width to height ratio of all selected text objects.

change ratio 15 (C>0 0);

1. One could even venture to change the size of just the tNames and

bNames.

1. First, display nothing but the top and bottom names layers.

display none tNames bNames;

1. Select all objects.

group all;

1. Change the size of text objects in the group

change size 50mil (C>0 0);

1. go back to the previous displayed layers.

display last;

HTH,

- Chuck

Autodesk Guest

Paul Badger wrote on Fri, 17 July 2015 14:49

Just because it's possible <blah, blah, blah>

</rant>

The takeaway from this is that you're a small-thinker that can't keep his

emotions in check.  Designing circuits and using sophisticated software

like Eagle requires logical thinking, not jumping to conclusions, and

looking at things objectively without emotional bias.  Since you have

clearly demonstrated problems with these, I suggest you find a different

line of work.

Quote:

OK can you explain

smash (C>0 0)  to me?

Yes, but that would be pointless (see above).  Of course this is answered

in the Eagle documenation already too.

If you want to be taken seriously in the future, refrain from childish

outbursts and Eagle-bashing.  No software will ever be exactly like any one

user wishes it were.  Of course there are things you may want Eagle to do

differently.  The right way to approach this is to explain the problem you

have, ask how it can be best accomplished in Eagle, and then actually

listen to the answers.  Approach with the attitude that the problem is on

your end until all the facts are in.  There is much more to Eagle than is

apparent even from a few days of usage.  Once people get familiar with it,

they often find the existing way of doing something is quicker and simpler,

although it may be different from what they initially envisioned.

Ranting is definitely not the way to get anyone to listen.  There is a big

difference between "How do I do xxx?", and "Why is Eagle so stupid that I

can't do xxx!?".  Not only is the latter a childish outburst, but

demonstrates that a conclusion has already been reached, so further

engagement with the child is pointless.

--

Web access to CadSoft support forums at www.eaglecentral.ca.  Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

hbridge99

Dear CADsoft guest,

I just don't know what to say

I'm not the one posting anomalously.  If I didn't care about making Eagle better I wouldn't be spending lots of my time writing ULPs (and sharing them) to make Eagle work like it should.

And I'm not the only one who thinks the interface is broken. All you have to do is Google around a bit and you'll find WHOLE ESSAYS of Eagle bugs and missing functionality. Things like "Favorite Eagle Bugs" contests.

Check the extended flame war on dangerous prototypes forum. Check all the five year old requests to do tremendously hard things like  make the bleeping arrow keys do something useful.

I've been designing circuits and boards with Eagle on and off for ten years. I also paid for my copy of Eagle, (unlike lots of people defending Eagle) so if writing ULPs (that most humans can understand) and paying for my software doesn't give me some right to bring up missing functionality then I don't know what does.  I also posted with a bit of self-referential good fun (at least I thought) in contrast to your "anonymous, childish outburst"

Anyway CADsoft guest, Eagle is still mysterious, full of bugs and bizarre interface details, and I'm also permanently swearing off this flame war, which I didn't in any manner start.

Please take a few deep breaths before posting next time. There seem to be plenty of others who have the desire to patiently explain the priesthood to me.

Paul

shabaz

Paul Badger wrote:

IMO it still should be a feature.

IMO I sincerely hope Eagle developers do _not_ make this a feature, Better to spend time on any real enhancements. Just my personal opinion! : )

With the current user interface I can still work faster in EAGLE than any other schematic and PCB CAD package I know. Sure there are people who want it more "Windows-like" but I'd rather it be fast and efficient which it thankfully is! I can't begin to state just how speedy my parts creation, schematic entry and PCB routing is - leaves me more time to do more.

Paul Badger wrote:

Eagle is still mysterious

With respect, it is software. It will behave in a predictable manner. It may not be predictable to some at first glance, but the user manual helps tremendously, as does some time spent learning the tool.

Autodesk Guest

Am 21.07.2015 um 23:59 schrieb Paul Badger:

Dear CADsoft guest,

I just don't know what to say

I'm not the one posting anomalously.  If I didn't care about making

Eagle better I wouldn't be spending lots of my time writing ULPs (and

sharing them) to make Eagle work like it should.

And I'm not the only one who thinks the interface is broken. All you

have to do is Google around a bit and you'll find WHOLE ESSAYS of Eagle

bugs and missing functionality. Things like "Favorite Eagle Bugs"

contests.

Check the extended flame war on dangerous prototypes forum. Check all

the five year old requests to do tremendously hard things like  make the

bleeping arrow keys do something useful.

I've been designing circuits and boards with Eagle on and off for ten

years. I also paid for my copy of Eagle, (unlike lots of people

defending Eagle) so if writing ULPs (that most humans can understand)

and paying for my software doesn't give me some right to bring up

missing functionality then I don't know what does.  I also posted with a

bit of self-referential good fun (at least I thought) in contrast to

your "anonymous, childish outburst"

Anyway CADsoft guest, Eagle is still mysterious, full of bugs and

bizarre interface details, and I'm also permanently swearing off this

flame war, which I didn't in any manner start.

Please take a few deep breaths before posting next time. There seem to

be plenty of others who have the desire to patiently explain the

priesthood to me.

Paul

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

http://www.element14.com/community/message/155535

Despite the fact that you are talking rubbish...

Why you address your answer to a "cadsoft  guest"?

The man has clearly given his name.

I have checked that and it turned out that he gave his answer at

"eaglecentral" which has a correct link to the cadsoft newsgroup.

You are at "element14" a forum that has the approved fact NOT to have a

correct interface to other groups/forums since years. Unfortunately!

For me another "evidence" that you are on the wrong end.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag

Autodesk Guest

Hi Paul,

I hope you're doing well. This Jorge, Element14 will show me as Cadsoft

Guest as it does with everyone who accesses the EAGLE forums from

somewhere outside of Element14.

As others have mentioned the E14 interface is not the best. For web

access to the forums eaglecentral.ca is generallly better and will

properly mirror posts as well as tell you who wrote the comments ;).

That's all I wanted to add to this.

Best Regards,

Jorge Garcia

rickpandey

Hey, I was in a similar situation when I got this solution by you. Thanks for posting it. But whenever I type the command "smash (C>0 0)" on the eagle prompt it gives me an error saying "smash command can only be used in an board or a schematic". I cannot understand the the schematic is open in front of me and I am trying to apply the command on it, but why does it give that error ?

Thanks in advance