2 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2019 4:09 PM by rokib

Best SNES emulator?

strider_

Hey there,

I am looking for suggestions on what SNES emulator works best on RPI 2.

I have found ones such as "RetroPi", however I wish to only emulator SNES - not all the other bulk emulators.

I am having trouble finding information on where to start.

I know how to flash an O/S to an SD card and can manage my way around the needed terminal commands to get things going.

The goal is to make this "user friendly" for my friends and other people who do not understand how to work these things.

If need be I can write a python script that accommodates whatever configurations need to be set at boot...

I figure there is not much out there that has all the "user friendly" aspects and therefore, given the right direction, I can most likely program the needed interface (I have a few years programming experience).

Any information would be great!

• Re: Best SNES emulator?
          rokib

You have a lot of emulator for SNES games at this time and the best one is RetroArch, you should try this emulator first then the other ones. RetroArch is one amazing emulator who provides good graphics good sound and the most important no lag during playing the games.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Best SNES emulator?
            shabaz

Hi,

Others may be able to comment with better advice, but for what it's worth I believe Retropie is closest to meeting the need to be user-friendly, because the developers aim was to simplify it and have a common interface and config capability. No additional RAM or processing resources are consumed, just SD card space, by having the unused emulators there. Retropie includes about half a dozen SNES emulators, so you can choose which you prefer. There's also a command line to directly launch a game as I understand. So, it may be better to install Retropie, and build your scripts on top of that to meet any specific needs. The script could even delete unused emulators if desired (although as mentioned, there's no major drawback to keeping them, apart from a very small amount of SD card space). Retropie has good community support, so if things change (e.g. Linux upgrade, or future new hardware (e.g. Pi or games controllers), or better emulators become available) then there's a high chance it will be easy to benefit from that with little effort.

EDIT: Just realized this was a 4-year old post. Not sure why it came up in the latest activity feed..