12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2016 4:37 AM by Christopher Stanton

Pi2 Model B v1.2 kernel issues

pi2bv1.1

The new Pi2 B v1.2 uses a new chip that functions differently from Pi2 B v1.1. I wish we were told this before ordering more Pi's. We are using custom kernel in our current products with Pi2 B v1.1 and cannot just upgrade to the latest kernel/firmware. Can you point me to documentation on how to change the kernel 3.18.14 to use the Pi2 B v1.2 hardware? If that is not possible, where can I buy Pi2 B v1.1?

• Re: Pi2 Model B v1.2 kernel issues
          Dudley Nelson

That's odd - I wasn't aware of any significant hardware differences between the various versions of the pi2 B.

Are you sure that what you have isn't a B+? The B+ does have different chip to the B, and the B+ also has a v1.2.

On the pi silk screen, is it definitely labelled as a B, or is it a B+?

We sell the B and the B+ separately as separate products, so confusion is possible

Brian Welsby

Dudley Nelson wrote:

That's odd - I wasn't aware of any significant hardware differences between the various versions of the pi2 B.

Are you sure that what you have isn't a B+? The B+ does have different chip to the B, and the B+ also has a v1.2.

On the pi silk screen, is it definitely labelled as a B, or is it a B+?

We sell the B and the B+ separately as separate products, so confusion is possible

It does look like the SOC has changed on the RPi 2  model B .   The v1.1 board that I have has a BCM2836

The v1.2 that you now show on your site here Raspberry Pi  says the RPi 2 model B has the same SOC (BCM2837) as the RPi3  but running at 900MHz

Brian

Dudley Nelson

Today I learned.

I've just gone and had a chat with one of our pi people (a phrase that conjures a weird mental image!)

So, everyone else is correct, and I was wrong. The chip * has * changed on the latest B model. This was because the BCM2836 was getting very difficult to source, so they used the BCM2837 chip in it instead. So it now has the same chip as the pi 3 and has been underclocked to run at 900MHz.

This leaves you pi2bv1.1 in a difficult position, either you're going to have to source old 1.1 versions of the B, or you'll have to bite the bullet re your Kernel, and I don't think either is palatable for you :/

There was someone here who had some ideas, so I'll get him to post. cstanton

clem57

Brian can you ener

cat /proc/cpuinfoto check what processors are there?

Clem

gdstew

Could you be more specific as to what no longer works. The description of the problem, "functions differently" is way too broad to make any kind of

recommendations on if or how it can be fixed.

Christopher Stanton

Hi pi2bv1.1 ,

Yes it looks like the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B has changed its SoC (processor) from the v1.1 to the v1.2, it is now running the same 64bit Quad Core processor as the Raspberry Pi 3, however it is downclocked to 900mhz processor. This means that your custom kernel isn't going to work.

Your choice will be to either find Raspberry Pi 2 v1.1 devices, or to recompile your linux kernel, and you will find the sources on git, so you may be able to 'diff' between your customisations for the kernel and the sources from the Pi Foundation. This may be made a bit easier for you now that Linux Kernel 4.8 has arrived with support for the new BCM SoC chip.

The Pi Foundation only recently (this week) got Raspbian booting on the Pi 2 v1.2, so if you've already tried to do this, it would be a good idea to try again.

Has anybody successfully configured a HotSpot/SoftAP running on a Pi2B v1.2.

It looks like there are driver errors for the RT5370

This is becoming a serious issue trying to get this to work :-(

the kernel outputs the following errors before disconnecting the clients

Dec  9 17:41:34 raspberrypi kernel: [  593.401956] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_tx_sta_fifo_read_completed: Warning - TX status read failed -71

Dec  9 17:41:34 raspberrypi kernel: [  593.402335] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_tx_sta_fifo_read_completed: Warning - TX status read failed -71

Dec  9 17:41:36 raspberrypi kernel: [  595.508947] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset

Dec  9 17:41:38 raspberrypi kernel: [  597.228951] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00usb_watchdog_tx_dma: Warning - TX queue 2 DMA timed out, invoke forced forced reset

Christopher Stanton

You might get a better response by starting a new discussion in the Raspberry Pi area

spannerspencer

I wonder if we might be able to solicit some advice from our resident Raspberry Pi experts from the Community if we move this conversation into the Raspberry Pi 2 section?

I'll move it across, and maybe one of our Top Members could kick things off?