5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 10:42 AM by shabaz

1980's Heathkit Hero robot teardown / modern equivalent

beacon_dave

This cropped up in discussion elsewhere on Element 14 and may be worth considering for a future show.

https://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-83675#comment-96896

Heathkit in the 1980's produced and sold an educational/personal robot in kit form or pre-assembled called the 'Hero 1' and then later the 'Hero 1 Jr.' and the 'Hero 2000' models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HERO_(robot)

They were much sought after by young technical enthusiasts at the time, but the pricing probably placed them more in the college/university domain.

If one can be obtained (around 20,000 were sold according to Wikipedia) then it may make an interesting teardown project for the show. If not, then perhaps building a modern equivalent would be an alternative idea for the show.

• Re: 1980's Heathkit Hero robot teardown / modern equivalent
          shabaz

Hi Dave,

This is a great idea to start a thread on it! Even if it isn't considered for a show, the information could be useful to anyone who wants to recreate something similar.

Here is some basic information on it, I've had to re-type in my own words, since I didn't want to publish a photo of the entire article since it is copyrighted.

HERO 1 Basic Information

Hero1.jpg

(Image source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hero1.jpg  (license CC BY-SA 3.0)

Dimensions:

Around 500mm high

Hardware:

14 PCBs!

1 PM DC motor

7 stepper motors

Base:

Contains motor drive and steering, and three of the four total batteries.

The batteries are 6V, but in series to make 12V. So there is a 12V supply for the motors, and a 12V supply for the electronics.

Body:

Most of the PCBs fit here around the body. There is a door for the wiring looms.

Head:

Rotates almost 360 degrees. There are a variety of sensors on it including movement (ultrasound), light, sound and distance (using ultrasound). There is also the fourth battery here.

The top of the head has a proto-board area, LED display, and hex keyboard. The proto-board allows access to GPIO, supply lines and so on, for connections into the CPU of the robot.

Arm:

This is attached to the rotating head and can therefore rotate close to 360 degrees. The arm moves up and down 150 degrees. It is possible for the arm to expand by about 120mm.

The gripper can bend by +-90 degrees from the arm. It can rotate about the arm axis by close to 360 degrees. The max opening is about 85mm.

Electronics:

There is an RTC, and a speech synth. The processor is 6808, 8k ROM (expandable up to 16k total), 4k RAM.

Software:

The keypad has an 'Abort' button which won't quit the program, but will halt the robot and display the program counter value. It can be resumed.

The keypad is hexadecimal because HERO is programmed in machine code instructions. As far as I understand, it is possible to jump to a interpreter which will handle simplified instructions for doing tasks like moving the arm, and then you can jump back into the machine code. This means you don't have to do everything in machine code if you don't want to.

There are in-built utilities that can be run from the keypad, to perform tasks like move the head and arm to a set position, setting the time, load programs, save programs, etc. (Load and save uses a tape player/recorder).

Teaching Pendant:

This has a rotary switch which can be used to select Head, Arm, Gripper etc., and also left/right push-buttons and a go finger-trigger button. So, you can select a part of the robot using the rotary switch, and then move that part using the left/right push-buttons or the go trigger. As a result it is possible to move the robot (at three different speeds) forward or backwards, make it turn, and control its head, arm, gripper and so on. The pendant is used for either manual control, or for the learn mode, i.e. the robot remembers how long you press the finger-trigger and records all the settings.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            necron9x11

Just discovered you guys. Y’all ever get round to doing this?

I have all the Hero’s. My 2000 is still brand new in the box and never been built yet. Been planning to do the build and post videos of it on the web. Life keeps getting in the way though. I also have two Hero 1’s I’m repairing. I tore one down and was planning to do a series of videos on re-assembly.

Never enough time to play with all the toys. :/

Oh and I scored the Heathkit alarm the Jr interfaces with in guard mode as well. I’ve never seen anyone show that off yet on YouTube so I figured I’d do that eventually as well.

Cool site.

~necron9x11

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                shabaz

Hi!

Sadly most of the current information online is ancient, the photos are from the 1980's etc., low-resolution.

That's awesome that you have them all. A video would be great to see!. If you don't mind, some high-res photos could be uploaded here too if you're ok with that. Either in these comments, or if you create a blog post, photos can be inserted inline, and they can be huge (up to 10MB in size) so that it becomes a nice resource of detailed information on the Hero's. I think many people would find that helpful, and might even have suggestions on how to upgrade parts of it.

This link shows how to insert pictures and videos (these can be inserted as youtube links, and they will appear as inline videos too) into either the comments, or in a blog post (the editor tools are the same):

Using Editor Tools for Blog Posts

This website has a lot of engineering information, so lots to explore, and if you need help with repairs or enhancements, or just general engineering discussions, usually someone will always respond.

Here's my crude robot attempt:

Building an XMOS and Raspberry Pi Robot XMP-2

There were a lot more projects here, there was a competition a few months ago:

Robots with Wheels

shabaz

Adding some photos - these are not mine, and I wish I knew who to ask for permission, but if anyone has a copyright on them, I'll remove them.

The photos were publicly accessible in some e-bay listing a few years ago.