1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 18, 2017 3:00 AM by balearicdynamics

Remote control your robox

Andy Clark (Workshopshed)

82a3f12957c20f9be8c4895fe004cae5_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1483973229&auto=format&lossless=true&s=55adcb479dc6e95007d0cedeef6cf259

The root is a Raspbery Pi based "remote" that hooks up via the Wifi and monitors a Robox. It needs presliced files at the moment but slicing an STL is a planned future enhancement. As the root is Pi based you can add anything else custom you want such as a remote power switch for the Robox or a Camera.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robox/root-tree-and-mote-for-robox-micro-manufacturing-p

There is an obvious comparison to be made with the OctoPrint which does support slicing and STL uploads. CEL's automaker software is a bit more sophisticated than Octoprint in that it reads the spool for an ID then loads a custom profile based on the material loaded.

The Mote is a screen to control the Root and the Tree is a flatpack stand to allow you to run a print farm of devices.

• Re: Remote control your robox
          balearicdynamics

The project proof of concept is really interesting. To be honest I don't see nothing so new than a nice design and a curated presentation style, almost all the 3D printers can be remotely controlled by definition and I am doing the same with my prusa i3 from Geetech. As I have the presumption to be a bit experienced with 3D printing I have some serious doubts that you can really place 2, 3 or more robox printers (I am aware this is one of the best and advanced models) and these can start printing without difficult like in a small home plant. 3D printing is not so super easy that you can just start and forget, IMHO...

Enrico