18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 12:28 PM by CadSoft Guest

Eagle 7.7 Download

CadSoft Guest

I have a licensed copy of Eagle V7, but the latest revision I have

downloaded is 7.5. I believe my license authorizes me to obtain the

latest revision of V7. I have no interest in subscribing to V8.

How do I obtain the download for the last V7 revision?

• Re: Eagle 7.7 Download
          CadSoft Guest

On 1/19/2017 12:49 PM, Reece R. Pollack wrote:

Hi Reece,

Please visit ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program to download V7.7. I do

encourage you to at least play with the V8 freeware so you can see the

new features.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Best Regards,

Jorge Garcia

CadSoft Guest

On 19.01.2017 19:17, Jorge Garcia wrote:

I do

new features.

Can I install V8 and does it accept the same cmd line options as V7

regarding .eaglerc file location and such? (I guess -U that was)

I usually keep a complete directory tree on a network share for each

version (V6/V7) and that is the only way not to mutually overwrite the

eagle config files when switching between versions.

Markus

CadSoft Guest

On 20.01.2017 08:55, Markus Rudolf wrote:

On 19.01.2017 19:17, Jorge Garcia wrote:

I do

new features.

Can I install V8 and does it accept the same cmd line options as V7

regarding .eaglerc file location and such? (I guess -U that was)

I usually keep a complete directory tree on a network share for each

version (V6/V7) and that is the only way not to mutually overwrite the

eagle config files when switching between versions.

Markus

Hi Markus,

EAGLE V8 accepts the same commandline options as V7 does.

--

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Richard Hammerl -- EAGLE Support

CadSoft Guest

On 01/19/2017 01:17 PM, Jorge Garcia wrote:

On 1/19/2017 12:49 PM, Reece R. Pollack wrote:

Hi Reece,

Please visit ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program to download V7.7. I do

new features.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Thanks, Jorge. The link worked for me. You've always been a great help.

I have no interest in V8 because the costs are prohibitive for a

hobbyist like me. Two layers isn't enough for me, and even if it were

$100 a year is far too much for someone who may use Eagle for a couple

of weeks then not at all for several months. At $500/year the Premium

version is cost-prohibitive, and forking over $65 because I want to work

on some project for a weekend is absurd.

I'm sorry to see this happen. I've been using Eagle since 2000, if not

before (4.09r2). Eagle V7 does everything I need for my current projects

and the new licensing scheme will be the push I've needed to switch to

KiCad for new projects.

dharris2112

Thanks Jorge. I was about to ask the same question WRT v7.7.

I too wanted to update to the latest version before subscription. As others have stated, the subscription structure is cost prohibitive for me (as a Premium owner).

Hopefully, Autodesk will adjust their strategy and restore a perpetual license option.

Thanks again.

Dave H.

pstemari

Unfortunately that link no longer works.

I have to say that I am really disappointed by this new change. I paid the price for the full unrestricted version of Eagle, and have always considered it a good investment. However, I categorically will not pay for subscription-based software. Like buying things on credit without a clear plan of how to pay them off, it's a long slow bleed. There's also no assurance that the price won't skyrocket or that the product will be simply cancelled, leaving you with nothing and no way to access your existing designs.

CADsoft has always been good about fixing bugs in the product, and at providing reasonably priced upgrades for existing customers. The new subscription pricing is far more expensive than the cost per year of the V5->V6->V7 upgrades ever were.

rachaelp

Paul Ste. Marie wrote on Sun, 12 February 2017 21:27

I just checked and the URL for downloading the latest v7 does still work:

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/7.7/

Best Regards,

Rachael

--

EAGLE support forums at http://www.eaglecentral.ca :: Where the EAGLE community meets.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            rachaelp

Paul Ste. Marie wrote on Sun, 12 February 2017 21:27

I just checked and the URL for downloading the latest v7 does still work:

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/program/7.7/

Best Regards,

Rachael

--

EAGLE support forums at http://www.eaglecentral.ca :: Where the EAGLE community meets.

CadSoft Guest

Here here! Unfortunately Autodesk has now taken over Eagle, so if their other products are anything to go by it means a compulsory, new unstable version every year, subscription only, local overpriced pushy sales reps, and completely incompetent customer support!

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/235524

CadSoft Guest

Here here! Unfortunately Autodesk has now taken over Eagle, so if their other products are anything to go by it means a compulsory, new unstable version every year, subscription only, local overpriced pushy sales reps, and completely incompetent customer support!

--

rachaelp

cadsoftnntp  wrote:

The only part of this statement which is correct is that EAGLE is now subscription only.

Updates to newer versions are not compulsory nor are they forced upon you in any way. In fact you can have multiple versions installed alongside each other just as you have always been able to so you can test a new version and fall back to an existing version you are comfortable with if you need to.

Updates aren't every year. They are much more frequent than that, there is a new release with major new features every couple of months and then they have minor bug fix releases in between to resolve any issues which are found. In case you haven't noticed, since Autodesk took over EAGLE, the pace of development has increased significantly. There is now integration with Fusion 360, SPICE simulation built natively into EAGLE. Live DRC, Push and Shove routing, a new CAM processor, and much more.

There are no pushy overpriced sales reps, at least none that I have seen.

The customer support team for EAGLE are still the same guys who've been supporting EAGLE for many years going back to the CADSoft days and they could never be described as incompetent. The difference being now they are backed by a much larger team of developers which helps with getting issues resolved more quickly.

Best Regards,

Rachael

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                        morantz

I have Licenses for the Eagle 7 version and a subscription to version 8.  Once in a while I find myself using version 8.  But I use version 7.7 about 98% of the time.  Reasons being:

1 - I don't need to have internet access.

2 - I don't have to LOG IN!   Needing to remember YET ANOTHER PASSWORD really does suck!!!!!

3 - I don't normally NEED the newer features.

I know someone is going to jump on this saying that you don't have to constant internet access while using the subscription version, but I don't use it every day either.  I might not log in for a month and then while out and about see something that generates a spark in my mind that I want to quickly map out in a schematic.  When this happens, I am not normally in a wifi zone.  I could be at a customer location or at dinner.  Who knows?  Version 7 just works.

Some of the new features are really nice.  I get that Autodesk has enabled the developers to add features to Eagle much faster than they were able to before.  That said, I am NOT a fan of software as a service.  Before the merger, I had been setting money to the side to purchase a personal license of Eagle for my own use at home.  I can't afford a subscription for personal use.

I too am thinking about making the change to KiCad.  The only thing holding me back before the merger was having to rebuild all my libraries.  Now I am thinking it is a small price to pay.

rachaelp

Hi Dan,

morantz  wrote:

I know someone is going to jump on this saying that you don't have to constant internet access while using the subscription version, but I don't use it every day either.  I might not log in for a month and then while out and about see something that generates a spark in my mind that I want to quickly map out in a schematic.  When this happens, I am not normally in a wifi zone.  I could be at a customer location or at dinner.  Who knows?  Version 7 just works.

Well if your subscription license (if you had one) had expired then EAGLE would just revert to the free license. It'll run indefinitely on the free license after the initial online activation for the version you have installed. You could do quite a lot of mapping things out in a schematic within the limits of the free license, certainly plenty to be going on with while you are out and about.

Best Regards,

Rachael

PS. I imagine your friends and family are probably less than eager for you to be whipping out your laptop and firing up EAGLE while you are at dinner with them!

CadSoft Guest

On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 13:20:28 GMT, Dan Brown

wrote:

I too am thinking about making the change to KiCad.  The only thing holding me back before the merger was having to rebuild all my libraries.  Now I am thinking it is a small price to pay.

KiCAD can import Eagle stuff.  I swapped my company over to KiCAD when

the Eagle rental model came out and we haven't looked back at all.

I'm on the KiCAD developer's mailing list.  The next version is at the

release candidate stage.  I'm amazed at what they've accomplished.

Import from Eagle will be MUCH smoother than it is now.

John

John DeArmond

http://www.neon-john.com

http://www.tnduction.com

Tellico Plains, Occupied TN

See website for email address

dukepro

On 04/05/2018 11:35 AM, Neon John wrote:

<noreply-266052@element14.com> wrote:

John,

How well does KiCAD handle importing Eagle libraries?

Thanks,

- Chuck

dukepro

John,

Thanks,

- Chuck

dukepro

John,

Thanks,

- Chuck

CadSoft Guest

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:26:54 -0400, Chuck Huber

wrote:

I've only tried it once as a test.  Worked fine.  Most of my custom

Eagle library consists of old parts that I don't use anymore.  KiCAD

libraries are quite complete so when I need a custom symbol, it's

easier to just do it than fooling around trying to import one item out

of a library.

John

John DeArmond

CadSoft Guest

wrote:

of a library.

John

John DeArmond

CadSoft Guest

wrote:

of a library.

John

John DeArmond

CadSoft Guest

--