2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2017 7:15 PM by marcelheijkoop

Is there onboard / built-in speakers or will I still need to connect my own?

suth97

Want to hook this up to Raspberry Pi 3.

• Re: Is there onboard / built-in speakers or will I still need to connect my own?
          michaelkellett

This is the second thread in which you've asked this.

I guess that no one bothered to answer because it's kind of obvious from the spec;

A quick Google and found the spec on E14 website and from it I extracted this:

• For use with Raspberry Pi
          • Capable of rendering HD Audio, at 24-bit, 192kHz
          • 3.5mm 4-pole jack for a headset/boom mic combination for gaming or VoIP applications
          • Two DMIC microphones onboard for stereo recording
          • 3.5mm jack for Stereo Line Input for high quality audio recording or capture
          • 3.5 mm jack Stereo Line Output for connection to devices such as external stereo amplifiers or powered speakers
          • Stereo Digital input and output (SPDIF)

So no speakers.

MK

• Re: Is there onboard / built-in speakers or will I still need to connect my own?
              marcelheijkoop

Derek, Michael,

The Cirrus Logic Audio Card , is the only one compatible with a pi3, as for its 40 pins GPIO bus.

The Cirrus Logic Audio Card , has its on board amp, capable of driving 2 speakers at about 3 watt per channel.

However these pins are not soldered on from the factory, and must be done yourself.

If you have the card and the skills, I advise you to do so and test it. The usecase scripts are provided.

So quite obviously no on-board speakers on this card , but an on-board speakers out circuit is provided.

I do not own a wolfson card, but they could be very similar, for the 1st generation raspberries of course.

Regards,