9 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2019 10:26 AM by vpr_motomods

Trouble compiling nuttx

lllars

I'm working through the hello world example, and trying to get setup to compile the firmware, following the directions here: https://developer.motorola.com/build/tools/build-from-source

I'm stuck at the "make" step, under "compile nuttx".  I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/create-tftf", line 35, in <module>

from tftf import Tftf, TFTF_SECTION_TYPE_RAW_CODE, \

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/tftf.py", line 34, in <module>

from string import rfind

ImportError: cannot import name 'rfind'

dd: failed to open 'nuttx.tftf': No such file or directory

make: *** [Makefile.unix:451: pass2] Error 1

If I just comment out line 34, and retry I get:

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/create-tftf", line 390, in <module>

main()

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/create-tftf", line 332, in main

tftf_header = Tftf(args.header_size)

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/tftf.py", line 407, in __init__

self.reserved = [0] * TFTF_HDR_NUM_RESERVED

TypeError: can't multiply sequence by non-int of type 'float'

I scoured the web, but can't find any answers.  I'm using arch linux, not ubuntu, so maybe that's part of the problem.  Anyone have any clues or ideas for me to try?

• Re: Trouble compiling nuttx
          aarongfranco

make sure you have defined BUILD_TOP variables.

> echo $BUILD_TOP
          ... should output .. /path/to/your/nuttx/installation

Without it you will continue to get the "nuttx.tftf" No such file or directory error.

lllars

Yes, I have BUILD_TOP defined correctly:

lars ~/programming/moto_mod (1) $ echo $BUILD_TOP

/home/lars/programming/moto_mod

I don't seem to have nuttx.tftf anywhere, I was assuming it gets created during the build process that is failing for me.  This returns no results:

lars ~/programming/moto_mod (1) $ find ./| grep nuttx.tftf

garengllc

Can you try building one of their pre-supplied projects without any changes (like usb2)?

$ export PATH=$PATH:$BUILD_TOP/manifesto:$BUILD_TOP/bootrom-tools
                  $ cd $BUILD_TOP/nuttx/nuttx
                  $ make distclean
                  $ cd $BUILD_TOP/nuttx/nuttx/tools
                  $ ./configure.sh hdk/muc/usb2

$ cd $BUILD_TOP/nuttx/nuttx
                  $ make

Then you should have the .tftf file in the nuttx/nuttx directory.

lllars

Ok, just tried that.  I get the same error:

MuC

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/create-tftf", line 35, in <module>

from tftf import Tftf, TFTF_SECTION_TYPE_RAW_CODE, \

File "/home/lars/programming/moto_mod/bootrom-tools/tftf.py", line 34, in <module>

from string import rfind

ImportError: cannot import name 'rfind'

garengllc

Did you make sure to install all the build dependencies begore you got started?

$ sudo apt-get install -y git gperf flex bison libncurses5-dev gcc-arm-none-eabi python-pip
                          $ sudo pip install pyelftools

Also, if you type "python --version" are you get a Python 2.7.x or a 3.5.x?

lllars

$ python --version

Python 3.6.0

$ python2 --version

Python 2.7.13

I think I have all dependencies.  Like I said, I'm running arch, so my package names and versions are a bit different.

$ sudo pacman -S git gperf flex bison ncurses arm-none-eabi-gcc python-pip

warning: git-2.12.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: gperf-3.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: flex-2.6.3-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: bison-3.0.4-2 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: ncurses-6.0+20170128-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: arm-none-eabi-gcc-6.3.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

warning: python-pip-9.0.1-2 is up to date -- reinstalling

resolving dependencies...

$ sudo pip install pyelftools

Requirement already satisfied: pyelftools in /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages

Any way to check if this is python 2 vs 3 version problem?

garengllc

Hmm, I am not sure which version of python is really needed, but when I type python --version on my working system, I get Python 2.7.6.  So it is possible that that is an issue.  Anyway you can alias python to python2 and see if that helps any?

lllars

Ok, we're getting somewhere.  I got it to compile.  It was indeed a python 2 vs 3 problem.

Aliasing didn't work.  I had also originally tried changing the first line of tftf.py to #! /usr/bin/env python2, but that made no difference either, which led me to think it wasn't a python2/3 issue.

What worked was to trick the environment as suggested in the Arch wiki page for python.  The trick involves crating symlinks in ~/bin for python and python-config to the 2.x versions.

Thanks for the help guys.  It worked for usb2, I haven't actually tried it for the original hello world example yet, but I assume that will work now.

1 of 1 people found this helpful