14 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 5:30 PM by uscdadnyc

Up Board Pi-Top

dheald

Has anyone else put an Up Board in a Pi-Top?

• Re: Up Board Pi-Top
          uscdadnyc

Pi-Top is a Rasp Pi placed in a Laptop Enclosure? IDK (I Don't Know) what an "Up Board" is though?

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

After a little googling, I know a UpBoard = Atom (tm) SBC from Intel. Same Form factor as RaspPi2, RaspPi 3. Is DH (David Heald) locked-into using a Pi-Top Laptop enclosure? An alternative is an

IndieGoGo (sp?) enclosure. Although an IndieGoGo is more a Flat-Panel Enclosure. Rather than a Clam-shell Laptop (like the Pi-Top). I watched a video on the GoGo and a Ben Heck video on the Pi-Top. Some observations: (1) GoGO has "rails" onto to which you can mount RaspPi (or UpBoard), Pi-Top  has distinct mounting Posts. (2) The GPIO Pins (on either RaspPi OR UpBoard) are more accessible on a GoGo Than on a Pi-Top. I use a Smarti-Pi Touch Enclosure for my RaspPi 3B and 7" touch-screen.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

The flat-panel enclosure is  piTopCEED.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

My pi-TopCREED (Case Only , No RPi Board) should arrive today (21MAR17). My only RPi3 is in my SmartiPi Enclosure. B/c there are magnetic mounting Rails, I can put any SBC (w/ footprint of RPi3 OR Smaller) into this Pi-TopCREED. I am going to get an UP SBC Board (NOT an UP^2 b/c of a Larger Form-Factor and Ports are placed differently). I have unused Legitimate Win8.1 Product Keys, which I can parlay into Win10 ver 1067 (using a USB Flash Drive)

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

dheald

I was referring to the specific Pi-Top product. I put an up board in one for my wife. She loves it. I had to make my own power cord for it, but otherwise it works great.

uscdadnyc

To DH: so you put an UP Board in the "clam-shell" laptop Pi-Top product? Didn't it come w/ a power Brick.? My Pi-TopCREED uses a 18Vdc @1A Power Brick. I believe the Pi-Top Laptop and Pi-TopCREED share the same inner components. But the Pi-TopCREED does not have Battery, Keyboard, Trackpad. Since I haven't bought an Up board yet. I am going to test my Pi-TopCREED  w/ a RaspberryPi Zero-Wireless.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          uscdadnyc

To DH: Have you used your Pi-Top Laptop(?) as a External HDMI Monitor? I mean cabling the HDMI Cable of the Pi-Top to an External (to Pi-Top) HDMI source? No other Connections aside from DC Power to my HDMI Source (RaspPi Zero). Did Not connect to the GPIO Pins. Pi-Top Support is working this Issue

BTW the Pi-Top that you configured for Your Wife, the one w/ Up SBC, what O/S did you use?

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

To DH: I successfully got my Pi-TopCREED to work w/ my RPi-Zero (v1.3). The 40pin Header MUST BE CONNECTED to the 40pin GPIO Pins for the HDMI/LCD Screen to work. Not all 40pins are used. Just pin4 [5V], pin6 [Gnd] (duh. of course), pin19 [SPI_MOSI], pin21 [SPI_MISO], pin23[SPI_CLK], pin26[SPI_CEI_N]. I think these Signals on the GPIO pins are used in conjunction w/ the HDMI Input (into) the Pi-TopCREED internal "Hub" board that produces Output on the LCD Screen. If this is the case, then it looks improbable that I can use the Pi-TopCREED HDMI/LCD Screen as an external HDMI Display Screen. THIS even if I leave my RPI-Zero connected to the GPIO Header and attempt to "drive" the PitopCREED HDMI w/ external (video) Content. Darn. I was hoping this Pi-TopCREED would do Double Duty: (1) as RPi Enclosure, (2) as External HDMI/LCD Monitor. At least my LCD Display is proven to be Good. AAR can you (DH) verify that your (wife's) Pi-Top Laptop is: (1) UP and Running w/ the Up SBC board [Pun Intended], (2) the GPIO Header is connected to the GPIO pins on the Up SBC. BTW what O/S is running? Thanks.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

W/ help from Pi-Top Support Staff, I found out about the Pi-TopCREED: (1) The HDMI Cable allows the LCD Screen to be used as an External HDMI Display. No connection to the GPIO pins required. (2) the power Supply inside the Pi-topCREED can supply +5V @ 1A. This opens the possibility of Installing an Up SBC instead of RPi 3B (or Zero). But will have to add an additional Power Brick b/c the Up board will draw 3A @ 5V.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

dheald

It came with the power brick yes, but the power connector from the Pi-Top Hub board to a regular Pi is a usb cable. The Up Board doesn't support that, and instead uses a barrel connector. So, I merely soldered a barrel connector onto the end of a usb cable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    uscdadnyc

To DH: Thx for your Reply. Q1 So your (wife's) is the Pi-Top Laptop Not the Pi-TopCEED (which I have)? Q2. WRT powering the Up SBC, the current draw is spec'd at 5V@3A. Tech Support at Pi-Top said that the Pi-Top Hub Board is only 5V@1A. But you run OK off this Internal 5V? Q3: I am going to put Win10 on my Up SBC. What O/S is on yours? Q4 Do you want a Legit Win8.1 Product Key that you cab parlay into a Free Legit Copy of Win10 H/P 32/64? For Free.

USCDAD (NY NY USA)

dheald

Yeah, it's the clamshell style regular Pi-Top, not the CEED.

It's been running fine. I suspect the Up is rated for a maximum draw of 3A, but doesn't necessarily need that much if it's not accessorized.

I am currently running Android, but intend to install Windows 10 when I can afford it.

That would be great actually. My wife would get a lot more use out of it if it ran Windows.

uscdadnyc

To DH: Great. 1) go to the microsoft site and try to find "Win10 Upgrade to ver. 1607", there also should be instructions to put it on a Flash Drive (that becomes Boot-able). Flash Drive capacity should hold at least 2.72GB.  I made mine on 03OCT16. I hope it is still there up at Microsoft, 2) send me an email at elyee@verizon.net, and I will send you a legit Win8.1 Product Key. 3) You boot off the Flash Drive, I read somewhere that the Up SBC has a similar BIOS/UEFI (like PC computers. 4) When asked for a Product Key enter the Win8.1. Product Key. 5) What do you want? (a) W8H 32/64bit OR W8P 32/64bit.?

Thx for your take on the Current (mA) needs of the Up SBC. I agree, the Pi-Top Hub should be able to power it. I have ordered mine today. When I put it together, I will interpose my "portaPow" USB Voltage/Ammeter Tester, between the Pi-Top Hub and the Up SBC. I may go through  GPIO pins 4 & pin 6 though. Instead of the Barrel Connector

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

TS {Time Stamp] =19MAY17. At Microsoft WIN10 Download Site , download ver 1703 onto USB Flash Drive (4GB will do). Stick USB Flash Drive in USB Port. "hit" F7 at BIOS/UEFI Screen. Your USB Flash Drive should show up. select the USB FD, "hit" Return. BTW Win10 Ver 1607 on a USB FD, DID NOT BOOT