12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2017 6:38 AM by uscdadnyc

USB not working after wiping SD Card

iholman

I've recently re-flashed my Pi, wiped the whole lot and put 'NOOBS_LITE_V2_4'. After plugging it back in, it powers up correctly, i get to the Noobs installation screen but the USB ports don't seem to work at all! So i cant install 'LibreELEC' because theres no power to to my keyboard.

I used to use my phone to control the Pi - but since wiping i cant do that either.

Anybody know why this would be happening, or if theres a way to tell if the ports are dead or just has the wrong software installed?

Any help is appreciated, cheers guys.

• Re: USB not working after wiping SD Card
          rachaelp

What Pi are you using? I think there was a change in the clocking to the IC which provides USB and Ethernet at some point and there were config changes made in the SD card image to support that for newer Pi versions. Somebody more familiar with the Pi (I've not used my old Pi model B for quite a while!) will be able to confirm but I suspect it's something in the config which is not enabling the clock to that IC, hence the USB doesn't work.

Best Regards,

Rachael

clem57

Go to a powered hub which can be had for a few $$$.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                uscdadnyc

Like the advertisement for M&M Candies' Mounds & Almond-Joy. "Sometimes you feel like a Nut. Sometimes you Don't". Here sometimes you need a Powered Hub. Sometimes you Don't. I made myself a cable that turns an Un-powered Hub into a Powered Hub. Of course it also turns the Hub into USB 2.0, b/c I only used Red, Blk, Wht, Grn Leads. I may open-up my Bidul USB Hub 3.0 w/ Ethernet Adapter, and make changes in there. Then it maintains it's USB 3.0 characteristics

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

iholman

I thought powered hubs work by connecting into the USB (And mains) - If the USB on the pi don't work, i wont get connectivity to it right?

jlangbridge

That is indeed how they work. A USB port can supply a small amount of current, and depending on the device that has the USB port, this value changes. The Raspberry Pi can't deliver much (actually, there were stories of simple USB keys that would make the Pi reboot when inserted due to power drain). If a device pulls too much power, it is simply deactivated, which might be the case here. If your keyboard is pulling too much power, then the RPi shuts it down, and nothing works. By plugging in a powered USB hub, the Pi doesn't actually need to supply any energy, so everything connected to the hub, and powered by the hub, should be visible.

I'm not too sure how to debug your situation. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that I use for my RPis, and I've never had a problem. I have had the USB key problem (which is a long story), so I know from experience that RPis can be a bit tricky, but a standard keyboard (not a flashy model with RGB LEDs) should work... Do you have a multimeter, or some way to test if the USB port is powered?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            jlangbridge

Looks good! Something like that should work. However, the title of your post still worries me... USB not working after SD wipe, that shouldn't change anything for the USB ports; if they worked before, they should still work now. I haven't looked, but I believe that NOOBS works for all Pis, so there shouldn't be a driver difference.

uscdadnyc

TO CH: CH wrote>>...Would this [URL for a powered Hub] be suitable?

USCDADNYC Reply>> Yes, but this is a USB 2.0 Hub. Get a USB 3.0 Powered Hub instead. USB 3.0 is downward compatible to USB 2.0. i.e. will work w/ the RPi which is USB 2.0.. BTW the Hub price was in UK-pounds($$) are you in the UK? AAR I ask comment(ers) to please reveal their country of residence. This way I (we) can tailor our comments/suggestions to what is available where you live. Help me, Help You.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

Roger Wolff

Small addition: The pi 1 has a sort-of-fuse in the USB that shuts off stuff when it draws too much power. IIRC this worked shitty and was removed quite quickly. So it might have been: "early raspberry pi 1 boards"....

The latest pi 3 has a dedicated chip arranging power for the USB ports. It powers up the USB port only after booting, and the chip will monitor the port for too much power and shut it down if that happens. I'm not entirely sure what the pi2 has.

(I have a many-port powered hub (15A power supply... plenty!), which I use to distribute power to several pi's on my desk. One of them is the "master" of all the other devices in that hub. So it has one cable for power, and the other from the USB port on the pi to the input port on the hub.... So when I unplug the pi's power because it needs to be powered down... it stays up. The hub will back-feed the pi. But when I unplug the input to the hub, the pi shuts down and doesn't come back up when I reconnect the USB-output-to-hub-input cable. It needs the power cable for a few seconds to enable the downstream USB ports....)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              uscdadnyc

To CH: CH wrote>>...I thought powered hubs work by connecting into the USB (And mains) - If the USB on the pi don't work, i wont get connectivity to it right?...

USCDADNYC reply>>"(And mains)" = ?? If mains = AC USB Power Brick connection, Then my answer is Yes. Both the USB (from RPi) and the Power-Brick-connection has to be cabled to the Powered-Hub. As to your Q: Answer is Yes. If the USB Port on the RPi doesn't work, then it doesn't matter whether you have a powered-Hub/non-powered-hub.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)