4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 12:55 PM by DAB

Med-Tech Engineer in Dallas, TX Looking to Network w/ Other EEs

mjfuter

Howdy, ya'all,

I'm a newbie to the Element 14 community and want to introduce myself.  Here's a short bio about me.

"Michael is a Sr. System/Image Processing Software Engineer with Abbott Diagnostics in Irving, Texas.  As a member of the New Platform Technology Discovery team, he develops digital signal and image processing algorithms and codes embedded software for next-generation medical diagnostics platform research.  He earned a BS in Electrical Engineering with a Business minor from The Pennsylvania State University and an MS in Electrical Engineering from The University of Texas at Arlington.  His 13+ year engineering career spans multiple industries including Aerospace/Defense, Telecommunications and Medical Devices and technical areas such as digital circuit design, embedded software development, systems integration and test, FPGA design, and digital signal and image processing algorithms.  In his personal life, he is a husband, father, and manager of the family's finances."

Feel free to introduce yourself to me as well!

Thanks,

-Mike

• Re: Med-Tech Engineer in Dallas, TX Looking to Network w/ Other EEs
          michaelkellett

Always happy to see another FPGA user - which ones do you use, what HDL do you use.

I do a fair bit of FPGA work, used to be all Lattice but I'm moving some projects over to Xilinx. The current project will use an Artix 200 for data acquisition and real time analysis.

I use Aldec Active HDL, Vivado and VHDl.

I also do some low power analogue and signal processing.

MK

mjfuter

It's nice to meet you!

It was a few years back when I last did FPGA design at a night vision camera defense company in Dallas.  I used Mentor Graphics ModelSim for simulation and Altera Quartus II for projects.  The devices I worked with were the low-cost Cyclone III and IV.  I vaguely remember experimenting with Altera Stratix devices, too.

Have you had any experience with Altera since Intel acquired the company?  Is their FPGA device technology still cutting-edge?  And what about customer service and support?

I haven't used the Xilinx family of FPGAs much during my engineering career, but did notice they discontinued the ISE development suite and replaced it with Vivado.  What do you think of the new Vivado suite?  I downloaded and installed the free Vivado Lab Tools package recently and programmed a couple of Xilinx FPGAs and found it fairly user-friendly.  What I didn't like was the 700-800MB installer package downloaded that was required!

michaelkellett

The Vivado install package is a 20Gb download now !

I updated to Vivado 2017-1 today - nice re-vamped interface looks good so far.

I think Altera are no longer the leading edge - Xilinx are way ahead with huge parts and now with the RF SOC FPGAs with GHz ADC on the same chip. These bits are fun to read about but out of my league.

I think Xilinx have the best tools now - it's always hard to be sure because it takes a 2 month or so investment of time to get moderately proficient with a new toolset - so you have to choose before you know, if you aren't part of  a big organization.

The general vibe I pick up is that Altera@Intel isn't doing great but hasn't actually messed up yet.

MK

DAB

Hi Michael,

I have over forty years experience doing image/spectral analysis.

I have not worked with FPGA devices, but I used to be involved with bit slice technology in the old days and have done extensive work with distributed and parallel processing systems.

DAB