11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 12:34 PM by jimmallabar

dwg/dxf into schematic document

slowertech

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a dwg or dxf into a schematic drawing?

Thanks

• Re: dwg/dxf into schematic document
          tarribred61

Do you mean into a PCB document?  The PCB has an import function for DWG and DXF but I don't know what restrictions such as versions it can accept.  This function brings up a window to Import from AutoCAD and you enter the layer mappings and scale.

If you attempt to import a DWG or DXF into a schematic it will instead open a PCB document and attempt the import.

e14softwareuk

It is correct that you can only import DXF onto a PCB, not directly onto a schematic. However it is possible using the copy/paste functionality.

You may need to play around with line widths, scaling and layers when importing the DXF. Once imported select the items of interest, click Copy, switch to the schematic sheet and click Paste. Don't forget to make sure you have the DXF import package installed otherwise nothing will appear to happen when importing.

slowertech

Just tried it and it works!

Thanks!!

jimmallabar

Hi Peter,

This is not exactly related to he original post, but how do I install the .dxf importer.  When I go to File->Import .dxf is an option, but .dxf is not listed  in my system preferences.

Thanks,

Jim

e14softwareuk

You may need to install the DXF importer, this is supplied with CircuitStudio but may not have installed automatically.From another post on the issue (note the file path will depend on where you chose to install CircuitStudio)

"You may need to uninstall/reinstall the installation of TeighaX, the installer is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Altium\CS\System\Installation\TeighaX_Setup_3.9.0.msi. TeighaX is a 3rd party utility used during import of dxf/dwg."

Also check View > Start (Home) > My Account > Extensions & Updates : Configure... to see a list of installed importers and make sure DXF is selected.

jimmallabar

Thanks for the post, but it still did not work.

I had run C:\Program Files (x86)\Altium\CS\System\Installation\TeighaX_Setup_3.9.0.msi yesterday.  I think I had found the post you quoted from.

I checked "My Acount > Extentions & Updates" and found "DXF and DWG" is checked.  Do I need to have that unchecked when I install the TeigaX utility?

Am I performing the right steps?

1. I go to a blank PCB.
                          2. File > Import and navigate to my DXF file
                          3. I've tried all combinations of Blocks (components/primitives) and Drawing Space (Model/Paper)/
                          4. I've selected several Scale options, "inch" makes the size the correct size, but the text turns red when I do that.
                          5. I've tried a couple of options for Layer Mapping, from leaving it all as default to setting all Source Layers to PCB "Layer Mechanical 3"
                          6. I always get an Information Box indicating "Done".
                          7. After I click "OK" I get a little spinning wheel for several seconds, and then nothing.  None of the mechanical layers indicate that that they are used.

Can you send me a known good DXF?  All the ones I have are generated by SolidWorks (various versions from 2010 to 2017).

Thanks for your help

Jim