72 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2017 6:52 PM by slikk66

boot from ssd in pi desktop

gdenicolas

I couldnt find the file pidesktop.deb. The webpage is really complicated.

• Re: boot from ssd in pi desktop
          vandia

Could you please give a little more detail to what page, and what you're trying to access, and how?

More specifically, there is no native way to connect a SSD to the Pi3, except USB. Alas, USB on the Pi is still only USB2.0 (as far as I know), so you'll get speeds much slower than you want, including booting. If I remember correctly, the Banana Pi board, while having a little less support, has an integrated SATA port.

While it would be possible (I'm pretty sure) to boot from your SSD via USB, probably by modifying your Linux, you would be better off finding an integrated way to run off SATA. Unless of course, someone developed or develops a SATA to mini-SD reader. It's not impossible, but I could think of relatively few applications to make it worth making for someone else.

stone1343

i'm having the same problem

vandia

I found a useful link I think may help:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/documentation/blob/master/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

But please note:

- Not all Mass Storage Devices will work.
              - You will still need an SD card to drive the boot sector, to run files from your SSD.
              -Files LOADING from the SSD are going to be running through USB, which will throttle the speed down to lower than running something on the SD card in most cases.

Actually, it will be MUCH MUCH slower to load via USB, which may not make the trouble worth it to you, once you go through the trouble to see how slow it actually is. I can give you numbers, but you're not going to understand until you try to run files from the SD instead. Until then, you're probably going to think the Pi is a slow PoS, lol.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  balearicdynamics

I have setup a 120 Gb SSD and set the flag as mentioned in the post above. Things worked fine and the PI Now boot (fast) from the SSD without the SD card.

For now I am using it for development experiments and attached beck to a 21 inches HD display it work as oscilloscope (with the Bitscope PI) and other stuff.

Enrico

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      vandia

So wait, two questions:
                      -Since when did the Raspi have a boot sector that could boot from USB?

-What image are you using that you're booting "fast" from USB? What are you overall using this pi with the SSD for? I am saying this as one question, because I'd think that it would go pretty slow compared to a decent SD card....

rachaelp

vandia wrote:

So wait, two questions:
                          -Since when did the Raspi have a boot sector that could boot from USB?

I'm not a Pi expert (haven't used mine for absolutely ages, since it munched its SD card again and annoyed me!) but it looks like since the Pi3: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-i-usb-mass-storage-boot/

Best Regards,

Rachael

balearicdynamics

Hello Vandia

Since when did the Raspi have a boot sector that could boot from USB?

The boot process follow this path:

1. When powered on the CPU check what should be done in a sort of 2Kb of bios inside of its EEPROM. By default in the PI it addresses the boot searched from the /boot partition on the SD card.
                            2. With a terminal command you can change this bit setting to address the CPU to search for the /boot partition somewhere else, e.g. the USB port.

This is a sort of innovation introduced by build in the internal firmware of the PI B3 as they have modified the firmware to give this option. IMHO I suppose that they have just applied to the traditional PI the changes in the EEPROM processor that is in the other version of the PI, the one with the DIMM Form factor.

As explained in the same github link you cited in a previous post, there it is explained both the command and the procedure.

What image are you using that you're booting "fast" from USB? What are you overall using this pi with the SSD for? I am saying this as one question, because I'd think that it would go pretty slow compared to a decent SD card

I have just used the last Raspbian pixel image loaded on the SSD connected to the Mac via the same USB adaptor) without changing none. For image burning I have used Etcher, that in advanced mode settings gives the option to burn the image (the PI img file) on any device, not only the SD card we are used to. Take a look to  https://etcher.io/

Below the back image of my PI Desktop. It is not completely closed in a case as I should put the hans on it almost frequently so only the bottom side of the VESA support has been 3D printed.

IMG_4580.jpg

Below the video with the SSD boot sequence, that is 35 seconds before showing the desktop screen.

Also consider the incredibly amount of available space for less then 50$ and the reliability of the SSD compared to the micro SD card

BTW if I am not wrong there is not the boot sector as we are used in other OS (e.g. Windows) as the boot sector is replaced by a partition that can be edited too in some parts.

Enrico

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                          stone1343

Note, this is not the solution to the original problem, Premier Farnell sells a new product called the "Pi Desktop", distributed by element14/newark, the installation instructions specifically mention go to element14.com/pidesktop and under Downloads, download pidesktop.deb.

However, maybe it's too early and this hasn't been published yet. I understood this product wouldn't be available in North America until June 5, so perhaps something will be available then.

Thanks!

balearicdynamics

You are true Jeff.

I looked in detail to the product presentation page and it sound strange to me. The page was created in September 2016 and today the product is out of stock. But it is the first time I hear of this product just in this post; I was expecting a more intense promotion during the past months but this is obviously just an idea... No datasheet and no documentation at allo linked from the product page. Just the list of the features. Why?

Searching on google the exact term pidesktop.deb (the debian setup file I suppose for the driver of this HAT) the only reference you find is just this blog posts ... Why? Maybe someone can give us information on how to ?

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 06.49.49.png

I have already done a board to monitor the health status with some features; this project can be easily be applied to a PI HAT - and it is what I have in mind to do as I need it for several projects. The difficult it is not the powering of the system or the power-off the Pi, as well as a cooling fan controlled by PWM but how to Power-on the PI again after it was powered off. I have an idea but I am not sure it is the best solution in the world. If I am not wrong shabaz has already worked - at least in theory - in this direction...

Enrico

tomgeorge

Alright element14 what have you done with pidesktop.deb?

tuctboh

Hi,

Just got it.

https://github.com/tuctboh/piDesktop/raw/master/pidesktop.deb

It looks like the ppp-hdclone needs piclone . I'm not at my Pi, not sure if thats standard or not.

Tuc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                Christopher Stanton

Hi gdenicolas ,

You don't need the debian file to boot from the SSD. In the user manual is a step by step guide and explanation on how to set this up:

Pi Desktop User Manual_EN_Rev3.2-FINAL.pdf

I've asked internally about the debian file, and I've read through the manual where there's some typing errors that need to be fixed (eg. capitalization of linux commands).

Feel free to ask me any questions on this as I've been working with this add-on board (and have one sat on my desk).

tuctboh

My concern not loading the pidesktop.deb is that you lose out on :

ppp-hdclone (What it does probably can be done just by dd'ing the image to the mSata)

ppp-boot (This actually changes the /boot/cmdline.txt to change the root, which isn't mentioned. I had previously set the usb variable, but AFTER I put it all together so can't get the card out to test if it isn't needed)

embest.service/embest-shutdown.service/rtc.py/sync-hwclock - Seem like they make sure the HWClock is up to date, not mentioned in the manual.

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

The SDCard isn't needed when booting from USB after the bit is set. The Pi prioritises booting from SDCard if it is inserted as well as the USB device.

If you have only a USB bootable device inserted, and the SDCard removed, you don't have to change the location in /boot/cmdline.txt. It's probably best to set the bit before putting the Pi inside the enclosure.

tuctboh

None of that was in any doco I received. I actually got it all running by trial/error. I used a small SD card so don't care about its loss. But nice to have the deb for the extra RTC stuff.

Christopher Stanton

tuctboh

You're right that it doesn't say which device it prioritises, though it does say on page 15 that the SD Card is no longer needed. Do you feel it should be explicitly stated to remove the SD Card ?

tuctboh

Hi,

Yes, do think it would be useful. I think even more useful is telling you to install the "Type A to micro USB" *BEFORE* you put the lid on. I found I needed to pry the lid off (Whoever designed it meant for it NEVER to come off. ) and press/lift the hat ever so slightly to get it to align JUST right. The 2nd time I put it together when I was testing things I ended up doing it outside the case so I could take out/put in the SD card... So it really is out of the case. Adds a nice blue glow to my work room

Tuc

tuctboh

Hi,

So I shutdown the Pi, pulled the SD card, turned it on, waited 15 seconds... Nothing. Put the card, started up, checked that my /boot and / were running off the mSata (I changed the /boot/cmdline.txt on the SD), and ran "vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17:" and got the right response of 0x3020000a. Shut down, pulled the card, tried again, nothing.

The mSata was loaded by booting off SD, dd of the Raspbian Jessie to it, then I did by hand the expand of partition 2 (Delete, extend, resize2fs).

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

If you've dd'd the default Raspbian Jessie image from raspberrypi.org to the SSD you don't need to change the contents of cmdline.txt on the SSD.

tuctboh

Hi,

I didn't. It was on the SD I made the changes. But still the issue that despite having the 0x3020000a set, it isn't booting from SSD.

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

Tuc . wrote:

Hi,

I didn't. It was on the SD I made the changes. But still the issue that despite having the 0x3020000a set, it isn't booting from SSD.

Tuc

When I initially imaged the SSD it didn't boot either, and that was because of the software I used to write the image to the SSD didn't do it properly.

What software/commands have you used to write the image to the SSD and under which operating system?

tuctboh

Hi,

Raspbian Pixel, fresh install to the SD.

unzip -p|dd bs=1m of=/dev/sda

I think thats it. Might be uppercase M, I get confused, some platforms take it, others don't. I didn't have space on the 8G card in it, so I had to stream the contents of the download and pipe into dd.

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

I would suggest trying either the hard drive clone script that's included with the debian package to replicate your SDCard raspbian install, or try imaging the SSD by connecting it to another computer (this is outlined in the manual).

Have you tried wiping the SSD and partitioning it via other ways (not imaging it) to see if it's compatible and working in with the Pi HAT add-on? There could be something funny going on there, too.

tuctboh

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't. I don't own anything else that can take the mSata card (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVRYU ). The Pi-Desktop is the only thing.

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

Well, you don't need to connect the mSATA card into something else directly, you can plug it in via USB to another computer. This is covered in the user manual, as the SSD connects to the Pi in the Pi Desktop via USB, so to can it connect to another computer.

balearicdynamics

When I bought the Kinston SSH I expressed chose a SATA storage as I was having in home a number of recovered SATA-to-USB external powered boards from old HDD external boxes. These was heavy small boards to power externally 5 inches HDD with 5V 2A power supplies. This was to have a larger storage on the Raspberry PI old versions and the multi boot bit never had been mentioned.

I also published an article on how to boot from SD card but using the external USB SATA connected HDD with the entire file system on it. The blog post (from 2015) is here: Meditech: RPI master storage system with some image of the first experimental tests while the disk setup procedure is here: Raspberry PI: USB hard disk boot

As I saw none of the mechanical HDD was powered correctly by the PI including the 2.5 HDD declared as self-powered by the USB connector. Also today I use a couple of 3TB Western Digital USB HDD that work properly only if directly connected to the computer USB; if I use a HUB for these disks I should use a powered USB HUB else stability problems in data transfer still occurs.

Seeing that the concept was working I bought a very low power consumption SSD Sata from my local retailer and a Startech SATA to USB connector supoprting both USB3 (full speed) and USB 2 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Applying the settings mentioned above things worked fine. The PI was anyway booting from the SD card no longer stressed during the normal usage.

Now with the introduction of the multi boot option settings in the PI3 things are working better and it was finally possible to remove the micro SD card.

Just a note: as in terms of reliability an SSD is more durable than the SSD card thinking to make a device that should work for long time boxed (maybe to a client site) it is the worth to use this setup instead of the traditional one despite the advantage of a larger storage space for the file system with a cost of 50-60$

Enrico

tuctboh

Hi,

We might be misunderstanding each other. My card was a true mSATA, came with just the drive. No connectors/enclosures/etc. I connected to the hat, booted off SD, dd'd to the mSATA.

So, I went on Amazon to get a connector. USB to SATA, then a card that converted SATA to mSATA. When I got it, I shut down the machine ready to take out the mSATA and put it into the adapter and run USB. I figured JUST for giggles I'd make sure one more time it didn't work. I already had the machine down, so I just pulled the SD card. Turned it on. Eventually got the 4 raspberrys, colorful screen, seemed to do that again, and finally booted Pixel. I shut down, restarted, and it seemed to be fine. Tried a few more times, worked. <SHRUG> Maybe I was too impatient the first time. But, the news is, I'm fine.

Tuc

Christopher Stanton

cstanton wrote:

I've asked internally about the debian file, and I've read through the manual where there's some typing errors that need to be fixed (eg. capitalization of linux commands).

This should be uploaded today as the folks in America get in the swing of things

tomgeorge

Several questions:

1 gparted says my ssd card is not partitioned.  Should I partition it first or clone uCD card to SSD and then enlarge the partition?

2. I did find and download pidesktop.deb. Is this the better way?

3. Must the mCD card be removed to boot from the SSD?  Or can the 32 Gb mCD  be used for data?

4. My current Debian desktop allows resetting the BIOS boot order so can have the boot sector on several hard drives and choose which to boot from. Is this possible? 

balearicdynamics

Hi Thomas,

gparted says my ssd card is not partitioned.  Should I partition it first or clone uCD card to SSD and then enlarge the partition?

None at all. Just format your ssd as Fat32 then when you create the image over it it is properly partitioned

If you download and install the last Raspbian pixel image (I strongly suggest) at the first boot you see a screen saying that it is resizing the partition automatically. So no problem to enlarge the partition after.

Anyway if the partition is not automatically resized it is one of the options of the command raspi-config

I did find and download pidesktop.deb. Is this the better way?

As the .deb extension of the file says, it is just a sort of program that I don't know but I can say for sure that it is not essential to the entire procedure. For now you can start ignoring it.

Must the mCD card be removed to boot from the SSD?  Or can the 32 Gb mCD  be used for data?

None at all You should flash the SSD directly as it is a common micro SD card. No matter of the size (mine is 120 Giga). you should flash it with Etcher that is specific for this role, running on any platform (Linux, OSX and Windows). With this program you can flash any image on any external device. If Etcher refuses to flash your SSD as it is recognised as a HD instead of a external (removable) device, from the Etcher settings set the unsafe mode. Warning: in unsafe mode you can flash any img file also on your main pc hard disk so double check that you are selecting the correct device.

My current Debian desktop allows resetting the BIOS boot order so can have the boot sector on several hard drives and choose which to boot from. Is this possible?

As far as I know the process is specific for the Raspberry PI B3 that has a command supporting the boot device bit set changed from the microSD to a USB device (the SSD USB connected disk).

For details and links take a look to my previous posts in this discussion.

Enrico

Christopher Stanton

Enrico Miglino wrote:

Hi Thomas,

gparted says my ssd card is not partitioned. Should I partition it first or clone uCD card to SSD and then enlarge the partition?

None at all. Just format your ssd as Fat32 then when you create the image over it it is properly partitioned

Formatting the SSD to Fat32 first isn't necessary though this can be a simpler way of allocating a drive letter to the device, and getting some software to acknowledge the device.

If you're using Linux you can use the command 'dd' to write to the SSD with an image file, or from a microSD card. If you're using Windows then you can allocate a drive letter to the SSD and then do the same with software such as Win32DiskImager, or you don't need to assign a drive letter if you're using drive cloning software such as Norton Ghost.

Also, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/usb.md alludes that the ability to set the required 'bit' for the Raspberry Pi to boot from USB is not limited to the Pi 3 and is capable on every model of Raspberry Pi.

balearicdynamics

Christopher,

I am sorry but you are wrong in what you assert. Let me explain:

Formatting the SSD to Fat32 first isn't necessary though this can be a simpler way of allocating a drive letter to the device, and getting some software to acknowledge the device.

This is almost true but most of the GUI procedures want a flat pre formatted microSD or SSD or anything else to proceed with best reliability. To this we should add the fact that USB memory stick, microSD and SSD most of them are Fat32 pre-formatted for maximum compatibility with all the platforms (I guess they don't include Linux Raspberry PI!). So first I have mentioned - deliberately - only the most reliable today available for free Flashing GUI. It is true (I say) that dd on Linux and Mac will work but this is not the default method not high skilled users approach to flash an image. Second, just because most of the USB storage devices are sold formatted Fat32 I had to keep away the doubt if the storage device should be formatted before in some strange way.

Also, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/usb.md alludes that the ability to set the required 'bit' for the Raspberry Pi to boot from USB is not limited to the Pi 3 and is capable on every model of Raspberry Pi.

With a more detailed investigation it is not difficult to discover what the same firmware guys of the Raspberry Pi org says:

In Raspberry PI Bootmodes documentation page on GitHub you can read that an alternative boot for PI 1, 2 and zero is available (under download) as a workaround for some non-booting devices from SD card. In particularly they say:

For the original Raspberry Pi and the Raspberry Pi 2 (based on the BCM2835 and BCM2836 devices), and in situations where the Pi 3 fails to boot, there is a new method of booting from one of the new boot modes (MSD or ethernet).

that is not a normal, regular available procedure.

The Raspberry pi org blog post you mention is just a non-technical information (more attention should be paid to what they write, the PI3 reference is missed!) and it is non-relevant to find a good procedure.

Instead if you read a more technical reference documentation about the PI Booting modes in the specific tutorial, always on the same site

PI 3 BOOTING PART I: USB MASS STORAGE BOOT BEThttps://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-i-usb-mass-storage-boot/

you can read:

Will it be possible to boot a Pi 1 or Pi 2 using MSD?

Unfortunately not. The boot code is stored in the BCM2837 device only, so the Pi 1, Pi 2, and Pi Zero will all require SD cards.

So as I stated before IMHO it is just a question of hardware to which we can't workaround in any way.

Enrico

Christopher Stanton

Enrico Miglino wrote:

Christopher,

I am sorry but you are wrong in what you assert. Let me explain:

This is almost true but most of the GUI procedures want a flat pre formatted microSD or SSD or anything else to proceed with best reliability.

To be able to write system partitions to any device, the software needs its hardware identification handler, you could call this a pointer (though it may be more accurate to call it a file descriptor).

In Linux, this is /dev/sd<x> typically, and in Windows it is \Device\Harddisk#\DR#

Since Fat32 is a partition type, this is not a hardware identification handler, and software writing to the device shouldn't really care. I'm going to assume you're referring to Microsoft Windows here, and what is necessary by some software that isn't coded so well, is a drive letter (E:\ , F:\, etc.), so that the software can enumerate the device as it uses this as the handler, as opposed to the device name (\Device\Harddisk..etc). A device does not have to be formatted with a partition on it for it to have a drive letter.

Having a partition formatted to fat32, like on the Raspbian SDCard can confuse some software.

For example Win32DiskImager. If you have an SDCard with Raspbian installed onto it, Raspbian has two partitions, one with be an ext<x> based partition, and the other will be Fat32. With Win32DiskImager, if you try to over-write the SDCard with a new Raspbian image, it will complain that there's not enough storage space.

Win32DiskImager, being primitive, enumerates the drive letter allocated to the Fat32 partition and calculates the capacity of the partition, then saying "there's not enough space on this partition, I'm going to quit!" and yet, you could be working with a 16gByte SDCard.

The only solution in this case, is to delete the Fat32 partition and then mount the SDCard as a 'simple volume' using Disk Management, from the management console (mmc) and assign a drive letter. You can then use Win32DiskImager to write a full SDCard image to the device. At this stage, re-creating a Fat32 partition to the full size of the SDCard is superfluous because Win32DiskImager will calculate the capacity of the SDCard correctly.

This is where Linux tends to happily trump over Microsoft Windows as an OS, because it has such low level commands and it's a little harder to get this wrong, 'dd' doesn't care what's on the drive, it treats it as a device that you can throw data at, in fact, you can throw that data at any point in the sectors of the drive, though not always a great idea to do so.

I am not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that I'm not wrong either, and we're both correct.

Enrico Miglino wrote:

With a more detailed investigation it is not difficult to discover what the same firmware guys of the Raspberry Pi org says:

That's a good find, and to me it reads in a contradictory manner to what I saw I may be tempted to test it anyway, thanks! It's worth noting that the Raspberry Pi 2 v1.2 now runs the same processor as the Pi 3, so it will also be able to USB boot without an SDCard.

balearicdynamics

The point I ave cited you is that the "common" user, or newbie, not super experienced, does not know nothing more than follow the instructions. So as reported in the "official" (?) documentation using Etcher it can do it in the almost secure way.

By the way, it is interesting to ask "what is exactly the "Etcher" application? It is just a GUI multiplatform wrapper that depending on the operating system it uses dd or similar calls to do just the low level job in a more structured way to make life easier to the users

About the fact that Pi2 and 1 will work, I am not 100% sure that the processor is the same. But what I am almost sure is that also the other processors should include a sort of boot selector. The deduction came form the field where these are also applied: the mobile devices. If you have time you can try. I suppose that they have not provided this as the boot eeprom firmware on the processor. I am curious to see it.

Enrico

Christopher Stanton

Enrico Miglino wrote:

The point I ave cited you is that the "common" user, or newbie, not super experienced, does not know nothing more than follow the instructions. So as reported in the "official" (?) documentation using Etcher it can do it in the almost secure way.

By the way, it is interesting to ask "what is exactly the "Etcher" application? It is just a GUI multiplatform wrapper that depending on the operating system it uses dd or similar calls to do just the low level job in a more structured way to make life easier to the users

About the fact that Pi2 and 1 will work, I am not 100% sure that the processor is the same. But what I am almost sure is that also the other processors should include a sort of boot selector. The deduction came form the field where these are also applied: the mobile devices. If you have time you can try. I suppose that they have not provided this as the boot eeprom firmware on the processor. I am curious to see it.

Enrico

The Pi 1 uses the BCM2835 and the Pi 2 v1.1 uses BCM2836. The Pi 2 v1.2 uses BCM2837 which is the same as the Pi 3.

I'll check out Etcher, looks like it was mentioned as part of MagPi https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/pi-sd-etcher/  , thanks! There's also DiskImager which I happened upon: https://github.com/DynamicDevices/DiskImager

balearicdynamics

Thank you for the clarification Christopher!

As a matter of fact the difference in processor was anyway a fact as I have at home all the three (four including the first PI prototype part of my personal museum ). Then all the raspberry pi.org blogs point on the PI B3 the possibility to seriously manage the boot mode bit. There is also a good article on how the on-chip firmware has been upgraded to support this nice feature.

I have used Etcher for the first time when I have flashed the SSD for booting with the Raspbian jessie pixel version. In addition to DiskImager there is also PiBaker, very good for SD card flashing. The problem is that all these imager software only support SD cards or some kind of USB memory stick. Etcher instead has a "unsafe mode" that permit to flash any image on any device. Including your boot storage of the pc so it should be used with a lot of caution. But it is good for SSD and external HDD flashing.

Enrico

gdenicolas

I am still struggling to run pidesktop without errors.

I have an sata drive 120gb connected inside the pi desktop.

The error when I run pidesktop.deb is:

"Failed to execute operation: No such file or directory" two times, as shown in the attached picture.

pidesktop error.jpg

slikk66

Hi Just am trying to setup my pi desktop.

Stuck an 8GB microSD in the pi, booted it, updated/upgraded, installed dpkg of pidesktop-base.deb, but when I run ppp-hdclone, it has no selectable options for source or dest.

Source is blank, dest says "no items available"

I have an adata msata 128GB drive connected.  Do I need to setup/format this drive first?  Any steps I'm missing?

tuctboh

Whats the results of :

ls -la /dev/sd*

slikk66

Thanks for replying!

I just restarted the whole process over again, I continued to dig and think I got myself to a point where it's time to start over.

I just reflashed the latest rasbian + pixel image, and it's currently going through the apt-get update/upgrade process.

If I run your command, I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -la /dev/sd*
                                                                                            brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Apr 10 10:09 /dev/sda
                                                                                            brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 Apr 10 10:09 /dev/sda1

I tried to install gparted as I read in another thread I would need to format the ssd first, but when running "sudo startx" it would give me an error about "agent already running" or similar, seemed like it couldn't run another graphical interface while I was already in one? Not sure about that.  Then I tried to run "parted" and gave it a gpt label, and tried to make a primary ext4 partition, but that didn't seem to do anything, so starting over.

Any advice?

Edit: bit more info about current status:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
                                                                                            Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                                                                                            /dev/root       7.2G  3.7G  3.3G  54% /
                                                                                            devtmpfs        459M     0  459M   0% /dev
                                                                                            tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /dev/shm
                                                                                            tmpfs           463M   13M  451M   3% /run
                                                                                            tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
                                                                                            tmpfs           463M     0  463M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                                                                                            /dev/mmcblk0p1   41M   21M   21M  51% /boot
                                                                                            tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
                                                                                            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/fstab
                                                                                            proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
                                                                                            PARTUUID=038c4707-01  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
                                                                                            PARTUUID=038c4707-02  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
                                                                                            # a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
                                                                                            #   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that

slikk66

Kept poking, think I found a work around.

I found that in the start menu -> accessories there is a "sd card copier" utility.  This seemed to be exactly the same as what popped up after running "ppp-hdclone" except this one allowed me to select the source card and my ssd.

I ran this, and then ran "ppp-hdclone" closing the UI that popped up (same issue with unselectable items) but then I entered "Y" when it asked if it worked, I then restarted the Pi3.  Now it seems my /dev/root is pointing to the SSD:

I did notice that the SD card still seems to need to be in the Pi or it won't boot, I assumed I could remove it, but here's the df view after this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h
                                                                                                Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                                                                                                /dev/root       118G  4.0G  108G   4% /
                                                                                                devtmpfs        458M     0  458M   0% /dev
                                                                                                tmpfs           462M   75M  388M  17% /dev/shm
                                                                                                tmpfs           462M   13M  450M   3% /run
                                                                                                tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
                                                                                                tmpfs           462M     0  462M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                                                                                                /dev/mmcblk0p1   41M   21M   20M  52% /boot
                                                                                                tmpfs            93M     0   93M   0% /run/user/1000
                                                                                                /dev/sda1        41M   21M   20M  52% /media/pi/boot
                                                                                                /dev/mmcblk0p2  7.2G  3.9G  3.0G  57% /media/pi/b105f9a8-f450-4976-8ac8-69053f57bab4

All done?

Christopher Stanton

Hi slikk66 ,

If you've set the 'bit' on your Raspberry Pi 3 as per the user manual for the Pi Desktop, and setup your SSD appropriately, you don't need your SDCard in the Pi 3 to boot from the SSD. So long as it has been setup properly with the image.

If ppp-hdclone is setting it up so that it copies from the sdcard and then still boots from the SDCard, but points the root file system to the SSD, this is kinda useful I guess, but superfluous.

slikk66

I'd be happy to do it the right way.. but following the instructions from the PiDesktop documentation it's not working for me.

I've explained the situation above, do you have any insight into the issue?

tomgeorge

I followed instructions to boot pi from a usb ignoring the fact I had a

ssd not a usb. Worked perfectly. When finished pi booted from the ssd

and the cd card was moved /media/pi/. I can no longer find the link to

these instructions but I copied them down as I executed them. I could

post them if anyone is interested.

balearicdynamics

It is correct Thomas, as by the point of view of the Pi an SSD connected via SATA to USB is a bare USB Memory stick. No matter what is the speed of the SSD itself or the data transfer available to the SATA side as the speed of data transfer is determined by the USB 2 protocol that is the physical connection between the devie and the PI.

As a matter of fact, - despite some issues related to some firmware problem - any storage device connected to the USB is saw by the PI as an external USB storage. To call it in the instructions USB memory stick is just a formal convention. Nothing to do with electronic as the interface (USB data storage) is the same for all.

Enrico

slikk66

Hi Thomas, yes please paste them if you can!

Thanks!

tomgeorge

OK

pi booted from cd. Downloaded raspbian image to pi

from root terminal proceed as follows:

lsblk to confirm ssd is /dev/sda

dd bs=4M if=2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie.img of=/dev/sda (doesn't matter

if ssd is unformated)

lsblk now shows sda1 /media/pi/boot and sda2 /media/pi/disk#

use gparted to enlarge the sda2 partition

mkdir /mnt/slash

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/slash  (slash is just any name you choose)

rsync -avxS / /mnt/      (I think -a = archive necessary to copy entire

content of /)l

lsblk now shows sda1 /media/pi/boot and sda2 /mnt/slash

ls /dev/disk/by-partuuid to list the partuuids for both the cd card and

the ssd

cd /boot

vi cmdline.txt

You will find root=partuuid=cd card #-2

change this to root=partuuid=ssd #-2

close the edit with the new root id.

Hold your breath and reboot. It worked for me

pascalheijnen

"I found that in the start menu -> accessories there is a "sd card copier" utility.  This seemed to be exactly the same as what popped up after running "ppp-hdclone" except this one allowed me to select the source card and my ssd."

saved my day THIS WORKS Thanks

actor39

I don't have any of the hardware yet, but I am trying to plan for acquisition.  Can someone tell me how the mSata connection is situated on the add-on card?  In particular, if I were to buy a true mSata drive, would it fit within the Desktop inclosure?  I haven't seen any pictures of the Desktop "card" so I don't know what to expect in the way of mSata connectivity.  Thanks!!!