4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2020 2:26 AM by edewit

3D STEP export issue - no tracks/silkscreen/pads

jmnich

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get my PCB exported to STEP but exported files contain no pads, tracks or silkscreen - just a plain green PCB with elements. Is there a way to include those in exported 3D model?

This is PCB as presented in Circuit Studio 3D view:

Screenshot_93.png

And here is STEP file of this PCB:

Screenshot_94.png

I badly need to get neat 3D models of my PCB and with components only they don't look as professional as I would like...

Many thanks

• Re: 3D STEP export issue - no tracks/silkscreen/pads

For better or worse this seems to be just the way it works. When I've experimented I get the same results, both in CircuitStudio and Altium Designer, so I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Why not visit my blog...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jmnich

That's too bad but it seems You are right Peter. I found on the Internet no PCB model exported from CS or Designer which would contain pads, routes or silkscreen. To be honest - I find it really disappointing. As difficult as exporting STEP from KiCAD is at least it gives you a full-featured, nearly photorealistic model like this:

pcb.png

It is really strange that Altium can not do the same as 3D models are often very important for marketing purposes and they just don't look that good without routing and pads. 

tarribred61

Altium Designer works this way also (unless it has been changed in the past year).  If you want to see copper extents near mounting holes or around the board perimeter then you could use a 3D body with minimal height.  However, CS doesn't seem to easily permit free-3d bodies on the PCB as does AD.  If there were to be a functioning step export that includes copper then it is likely the step model would be very large indeed.

Under AD we had some success exporting copper layers as DXF files.  Then a mechanical engineer could check clearances.

So the answer to your question is that the present versions do not support copper or legend export on the step file.

edewit

I know this is an old post, but for the people who still find this topic: Altium does not support copper layers in STEP, but it does support (copper) layers as PARASOLID (*.x_t) export. The parasolid file is a lot bigger ofcourse, when it contains (copper) layers, but it can easily be compressed by zip/rar, etc.