4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 2:52 PM by titou43

Is the element14 Desktop enclosure compatible with GPIO add-on cards?

jdb2

Hello. I've been thinking of getting an Element14 Raspberry Pi Desktop enclosure for my RPi 3, but, I need to know if the enclosure is compatible with the UPS-Pico GPIO add-on board ( UPS PIco HV3.0A Stack Plus with 450mAh Battery  ). I've called Newark/element14 tech support, but the support rep didn't have a definitive answer as even he couldn't find any dimensions for the Desktop enclosure.

Any help regarding this topic or how to possibly get around the space constraints, if possible, would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT : Stupid oversight on my part -- I missed the dimensions of the Desktop enclosure in its manual. The manual indicates a thickness of the Desktop enclosure's add-on card at about 1.4mm, which makes me think I'm getting the dimensions mixed up -- please correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't find any dimensions for the aforementioned RPi HAT, but it's at most 50mm tall which only gives me about 41.72 mm of room, assuming my calculations are correct. So,it may or may not fit...

Thanks,

jdb2

• Re: Is the element14 Desktop enclosure compatible with GPIO add-on cards?
          uscdadnyc

To JB:  I have the same Q (sort of). [I do not have a e14-desktop yet either]  AAR does the e14-desktop use of the GPIO pins for their GPIO => mSATA=> mSATA SSD (up to 1TB), PRECLUDE Any Additional use of the GPIO pins?. Actually mSATA is a little antiquated (?), isn't there an m.2 Standard. I had an m.2 SSD in my Intel NUC5i7RYH, but it died. AAR my plans for an e14-desktop is to put an Up-board (SBC-Single Board Computer) inside. The Up-board has the same LxW dimensions as a RPi3B, but the H (Height) is a little larger. And instead of using the mSATA, I would try to expose/feed-back-in the USB-3.0-micro-B-connector on the Up-board AND(?) put a USB3.0 SSD (if there is such a Thing Yet). I already have Two WD PiDrives (HDDs) that are USB3.0, power consumption maybe too much for the e14-desktop. BTW1, I have an Up-board inside a Pi-TopCEED, running WIN10-64Pro. This Pi-TopCEED also accomodates my RPiZ's, RPiZW's as well as my Up-board. Of Course, One At A Time though. BTW2 My RPi3B is inside a SmartiPi Case, along w/ a 7" TouchScreen. I have posted on other e14 community discussion post(s) on how to Free the HDMI port that is Blocked on the SmartiPi Case. If you do purchase e14-desktop, please post Pictures of the inside. Thx.

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

uscdadnyc

Correction/Admendments to my 08JUN17 3:47AM Comments. (a) at the e14 discussion thread; Raspi>Raspi 3>Discussions>Boot From SSD in Pi-Desktops. Has More Timely Info than what I had mentioned: (a:1) CS wrote on 07JUN17 3:46AM >>...as the SSD connects to the Pi in the Pi Desktop via USB, so to can it connect to another computer... || Maybe this is why pictures of the Pi-Desktop show only 3 out of 4 USB Ports. Is the 4th actually used internally to connect to the mSATA? (a:2) At 08JUN17 8:14 AM there was posted Pidesktopuser_manual-en rev3.2-final.pdf || I have not viewed the  pdf yet, but it does make more sense to connect mSATA to USB RATHER-THAN the GPIO. The Newark/e14 description SAID mSATA was through GPIO. Sorry

USCDADNYC (NY NY USA)

chris_b2b

The Pi Desktop board uses a loopback USB2 connector for the SATA functionality so no GPIO's are used for that.

Since my project uses SPI & some GPIO pins i mapped them out, maybe it's useful to others too.

The onboard MCU consumes i2c, SPI, UART and GPIO's 6, 13,19 & 26.

Will have to see if CE1 (GPIO7) can still be used with an nRF24 device while this hat is on.

pi desktop - pinout