4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 10:54 AM by neilk

New release of MIT AppInventor supports BBC micro:bit and Arduino101

neilk

On 21st June 2017, MIT announced the release of a new version of their BLE extensions for AppInventor: iot.appinventor.mit.edu

As well as a completely revised set of general BLE functions, the release also includes a specific set of functions for the BBC micro:bit and the Arduino101 in which the Device Specific Service and Characteristic UUIDs are already built into the functions and therefore hidden from the user - so much simpler!

I spent a lot of time trying to get the original version of the BLE extension (released last year) to work with the micro:bit - it was tortuous and not everything worked! I was lucky enough to get asked to help beta test the second version and did find a couple of bugs!

Virtually everything you might want to do over BLE with the micro:bit is now fully supported (I can't comment on Arduino101 support because I don't have one) - all you need to do is load the the relevant extensions: BLE, Microbit, and Arduino101 into your AppInventor project and off you go.

I intend to publish a some tutorials on my blog, if anyone is interested.

Neil

• Re: New release of MIT AppInventor supports BBC micro:bit and Arduino101
          jlucas

Great stuff Neil - if you could share the tutorials here we'd love to see and share them.

notcuvtixo

Maybe you could clear this up for me. The Arduino 101 isn't available right now on element14, and is a discontinued product on Sparkfun, (they do have Arduino 101 Industrial). Now why in the world have they developed for what seems to be a discontinued product?  Are American schools inundated with Arduino 101 boards? BBC micro:bit is easier to understand, from what I've seen they can be bought at half the price at retail, It's clearly designed for IoT educational purposes. Has the MIT program already invested a lot of work in Arduino? Why not ArduinoUNOs or other Arduino boards with WIFI/Bluetooth hats/expansion boards? I don't get what seems to be an unnecessary duplication of effort.

shabaz

Hi Chris,

Arduino 101 relied on a module from Intel, called Curie. However, it was discontinued by Intel around July of last year (and not many people were notified until it had occurred).

The "Arduino Industrial 101" is a very different board to the "Arduino 101", the so-called industrial version doesn't use the Curie module.

The micro:bit is still an actively shipping/supported board.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  neilk

Hi Chris

I can't comment on the original decision of MIT to work with the now discontinued Arduino 101, as  I'm not involved with MIT.

Indeed, I wasn't aware that the Arduino 101 had been discontinued (thanks shabaz for that update).  My own interest is in using App Inventor with the BBC micro:bit

To give you a little history: My original post was June 2017 - over a year ago. I first became involved with App Inventor and BLE, with the micro:bit, in about November 2016 - at this time MIT were already using Arduino 101 as their target device and had been doing so for some time - at least 6 months from memory.

I hope this clarifies things.

Neil