5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 2:40 PM by DAB

photo frequency rate in picameraboardv2

setcamerav2

Hi,

what is the pictures (stills at 8mp resolution) rate for a picamera board v2 connected to RPI and taking only pictures (no other task).

Would it possible to shoot pictures at 8mp resolution at a rate of 2 pics per second for half an hour or so?

Thanks.

• Re: photo frequency rate in picameraboardv2
          Frederick Vandenbosch

Hi,

I don't know the supported rate, but you can easily try it out and verify the result.

raspistill -o a%04d.jpg -t 1800000 -tl 500

This command will take pictures for 30 minutes (-t) every 500ms (-tl).

More info on https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/camera/raspicam/timelapse.md

Let us know how you get on!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              mcb1

The rate will also depend if "Auto" is set on any of the settings.

The answer will be interesting, but if you need almost continuous then video may be an option.

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  balearicdynamics

Mark, unfortunately I think no as - despite what is seems - it needs more process. If you capture video, frames are not a sequence of images but a video stream in some format (e.g. H264, MP4, etc. depending on the encoder you will use). The result is that after the very large storage you will use (half an hour or more) then you should extract just the frames you need and save them separately before deleting the video sequence. The other problem I see in this case is related to the very low frequency (2 fps) for the case of a video. Also on a professional machine for this kind of extra slow capture best practice suggest multiple shooting with stop motion techniques.

In addition we should consider the resolution: a full HD video has a resolution of 2 MP while the image sensor resolution is 8 MP

Enrico

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      setcamerav2

Thank you all very much!

I do not have an RPI yet. I was asking just to know the capabilities of the processor.

For example Gopro 4 can shoot time lapse photos at full resolution (12 Mp) at 1/2 second rate; each time calculating different exposure times and iso, I suppose. Yi cam can do that at a 2second rate.

I am a complete newbie in computer.

I would like to make a set of 6 cameraboards to take pano pictures, 360 deg x 180 deg.

So, six RPIs and six cameraboards. I would need all the six cams to shoot at the same time. i.e. with a tolerable delay of 2 ms about, due to problems in scenes with moving objects

I think I should use one RPi to send a command to shoot to all the others. But I have no idea if that is possible and, if yes, how.

In general: how to connect some RPIs and use one to send a signal to the others to execute the same task at the same time.

Thanks for any hints.

Giuseppe

DAB

Frame rate depends upon the resolution you choose.

At 8 MP, it might only support 2 frames per second.

The older camera would run up to 90 frames per second, but I think you were down to something like 320 by 240 resolution to make it work.

The key is the data transfer rate.  You can only move so many bits per second.  So the more data you collect, the slower the transfer.

DAB

1 of 1 people found this helpful