2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 6:27 AM by mikeyd

Q: Super User access via SSH on BeagleBone Black (Debian Ver 8.7)

mikeyd

Hi All

I wondered if there is anyone who can help with some advice o the best way to manage root user login with the new 8.7 image version of BBB .....

The new image seems to have a tighter password system in place from the get go. I can log into my BBB as a standard user using logon: 'debian' and password: 'temppwd'. If I try and login via ssh as the root I get an 'Access denied' message.

Without the root access it makes tree navigation very difficult with tools like WinSCP and/or mobaXterm (as again it keeps saying that access is denied when you try and open certain tree elements in the tools browser.

Can someone suggest the best method of :

• Changing the normal logon password from the default 'temppwd'?
      • Creating a new standard user and associated password?
      • Creating a 'root' / super user  logon with password strong password?

Many thanks for any help you may offer

Cheers

Michael

• Re: Q: Super User access via SSH on BeagleBone Black (Debian Ver 8.7)
          koudelad

Hello,

Can someone suggest the best method of :

• Changing the normal logon password from the default 'temppwd'?

If you want to change a password of a current user, type just passwd . If you want to change (as a super user) a password of another user, type su passwd [username] and provide root's password.

Creating a new standard user and associated password?

Since you might need to add a user to a specific group to be able to log on via SSH, I will forward you to this Linux Documentation Project (LDP) guide: Creating a user

Creating a 'root' / super user logon with password strong password?

This is just a specific case of the first scenario.

The basic principle to have a machine secured is to work with a user with limited privileges and and execute all the commands that require higher privileges with the super user permissions via a su command.

David

2 of 2 people found this helpful