72 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2019 4:19 AM by Christopher Stanton

Page changes painfully slow on Farnell website

rachaelp

When trying to navigate between pages (the ones that work) on Farnell element14 UK - Electronic Components Distributor  it often take 10 seconds or more for the next page to load when clicking on a link. This makes navigating around to find products exceedingly tedious and will definitely be putting people off purchasing from Farnell. UX studies show that a lot of people will go elsewhere if pages take more than a couple of seconds to load. Here is a link I found on this topic https://velocitize.com/2017/03/27/how-site-speed-impacts-your-seo-and-ux/ and a quick search on Google will find a lot of results for pages showing similar statistics so at 10+ seconds I think there is significant cause for concern.

The problem isn't my internet connection, computer, or browser, it's definitely a problem with the Farnell website.

Best Regards,

Rachael

• Re: Page changes painfully slow on Farnell website
          Sarribas

Hi Rachael,

Thanks sending us this feedback. We've opened a ticket for our Web Team to look into it.

Kind regards,

Sonia

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            e14phil

Some one let the gremlins out

giphy.gif

Whatever you did it didnt work. The website is slower than ever. RS have recently overhauled theirs and fixed any slowness. If you do a bit of googling, you'll find a web designer forum that references Farnell's website as an example of particularly bad programming. This is not a good position to be in.

Hi!

Norwegian user here, using no.farnell.com.

Have the same problem and it is a real problem. When I try to find the right part among thousands, every second counts.

What keeps me coming back is your enormous sortiment and fast delivery.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Best regards

Einar, Norway

valve5425f

Just come back to the site to check some items and, finding that things haven't improved, thought I'd check to see if it was just me! Obviously not.

I often get bored of waiting and go to RS, Mouser or Digikey.  I've pointed it out to them previously but not had a satisfactory response. (My broadband speed's around 210Mbps, so hardly slow!)

Lost sales Farnell!

rachaelp

valve5425f  wrote:

Just come back to the site to check some items and, finding that things haven't improved, thought I'd check to see if it was just me! Obviously not.

Well lets see what happens now. It seems they know there is an issue now and are taking it seriously. I'll make sure I highlight the issues to them every time I come across them.

valve5425f  wrote:

I often get bored of waiting and go to RS, Mouser or Digikey.  I've pointed it out to them previously but not had a satisfactory response.

Lost sales Farnell!

I think there are probably a lot of people who take the same view as you and I understand why, but it's a shame for Farnell. I do buy some things elsewhere when Farnell don't have the stock but I try to stick with Farnell because I want to support Element14 and indirectly the long term fortunes of this community which I find very rewarding and helpful. Also, their website may be slow but their deliveries are second to none. I can get stuff delivered to me incredibly fast from Farnell, even if I am ordering later in the day, it usually still comes next day if the items are in stock.

valve5425f  wrote:

(My broadband speed's around 210Mbps, so hardly slow!)

Awesome! What connection do you have that gives you 210Mbps? I thought I was doing well with my VDSL2 connection... I'm obviously behind the curve on internet performance

Best Regards,

Rachael

shabaz

Speeds here are sadly behind the times : ( There will be a rollout of G.Fast in the UK to increase broadband speeds, but it is taking ages : (

Also, in some European countries, the 4G/LTE speed exceed our broadband speed : ) A bit more latency though.

And realistically 5G is still several years away for Europe as I understand : (

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            valve5425f

Got to agree Rachael with your point about not using Farnell because, once you've managed to get the order in, their service is excellent. Can't fault customer service either. It's just so frustrating when you're searching for different parts, checking data sheets etc, that everything takes so long. In the past I've even done the research with other suppliers, then come back to order with Farnell. However, if it's a bigger order, I think why bother. I sincerely hope that they address the issue, as this has been a problem for a while now.

Broadband's with Virgin on their 200Mbps package. Speed was usually there or thereabouts, but recently it seems to have crept up to around 210. Reliable connection, but spookily enough it went off for half an hour today!

(I don't work for Virgin by the way. )

johnr2

Six months after the original post in this thread the problem is much worse. Pages take around 30s to load, making ordering large numbers of items impossible as I can't afford the time it takes. I've almost stopped using Farnell. The RS website doesn't have this problem so I've been buying from them.

This isn't a problem with my browser (Firefox 52 ESR) or ADSL connection (fast); it's definitely the Farnell website. I haven't encountered another website anywhere else that takes so long to load new pages. Come on Farnell, get your act together or lose custom.

johnr2

Replying to my own post, the problem is that setting NoScript to temporarily allow scripts from farnell.com is no longer sufficient to use the site (it used to be). It appears that JavaScript now has to be enabled globally, which is unwise due to security concerns.

I don't see why a private business transaction between Farnell and me should require scripts from bing.com, demdex.net, baynote.net, hs-analytics, hs-scripts.com, omtrdc.net, criteo.net, marinism.net, google-analytics.com, googleadservices.com and facebook.net just to work. This is not good web design.

I have experienced the same slow access problems for some time now. If Johnr2 has got it right then it seems that Farnel are maybe making money off the back of our browsing. I am going to switch to RS its just too frustrating and often they offer better prices.

Christy-Admin

Hi everyone,

Those of you who have recently posted that you're not seeing an improvement - johnr2, valve5425f, Stillwaiting, PaulD, Jarl Einar Ottesad - our web technical team would really like to work with any of you directly that are willing to try to pinpoint what is causing the issue. We know the site isn't perfect, and work continues to improve it, but there are so many variables that can affect the site load times that it will be most helpful if we can troubleshoot directly with a few of you to find out if there is either a common issue or other things we may not even be aware of yet that need to be addressed.

Please feel free to message me directly, and I will put you in contact with our IT team.

Sincerely,

Christy

valve5425f

Messaged you Christy. Happy to help if I can.

johnr2

Christy, the problem here is the amount of off-site scripts that have to be enabled to make the web pages load in a reasonable time. NoScript lists the following: bing.com, demdex.net, baynote.net, hs-analytics, hs-scripts.com, omtrdc.net, criteo.net, marinism.net, google-analytics.com, googleadservices.com and facebook.net.

None of those are appropriate for a professional electronics supplier's site IMO. I used to be able to use the site just by temporarily enabling scripts from farnell.com, but not since I updated my version of Firefox to 52 ESR (running on OpenBSD 6.2) along with the current version of NoScript around a month ago.

To re-iterate, scripts from the company I'm doing business with are ok, but I don't want other companies involved in what should be a private transaction. Allow these scripts for those who want them by all means, but choosing not to load them should not prevent a customer from being able to submit an order. No other supplier I deal with imposes this restriction.

BTW, I tried sending  you a message but the message form required me to allow Facebook, which I don't use.

Christy-Admin

Thanks John. I will pass your feedback to the pertinent people at Farnell. I personally use Privacy Badger or something similar to block a lot of these kinds of retargeting/3rd party scripts, but I also know that it is now fairly standard for marketing teams to use them - and the Facebook one for instance is due to the fact that we have/use Facebook in support of all of our Transactional sites AND the Community and linking various promotions together between them. I completely understand not wanting to have those fire for you though, and the site should definitely not become unresponsive if you choose to disable them.

Also, thanks Dean Wilson. I will reply to your message. I've been out ill for a few days so apologies for the late reply.

Christy - Director of Development, element14

Christy-Admin

Hi John,

After passing your feedback to our IT team, we've done some testing here on our end, using No-Script version 10.1.6.3 in FF 57.0 64-bit, and we weren't able to replicate the site having any issues - either anything breaking or it adversely impacting the speed. The features that some of those scripts are used for weren't in evidence, as you'd expect. For example, Baynote is used to provide customer also-bought and similar kinds of recommendations. But otherwise, the pages seemed to load ok and we were able to complete the core site functionality that you'd expect - including adding a product to the car and checking out. We tried this on both Windows and Mac machines.

I've got a copy of the NoScript settings we used I'd be happy to send to you if you'd like. Since you can't message me here (you mentioned it was requiring Facebook - which I'll also have the team investigate), please feel free to email me at czurkawicz@newark.com if you'd like me to send them to you, or continue this discussion offline.

I very much want to try to get to the bottom of these issues and find out if there is something we need to change on the site, or if it's some issue with specific browsers/settings, etc. so that we can provide some help information to other members who are likely to be having similar issues.

Thanks,

Christy - Director of Development, element14

johnr2

Christy, thanks for the reply.

I can get the farnell.com site to work properly if I set NoScript to allow scripts globally, then restart Firefox. It continues to work if I then set all scripts individually to 'Untrusted' apart from the ones from farnell.com.  I can use this as a workaround.

If I set NoScript to forbid all scripts globally, then temporarily allow farnell.com, I just get a blank white page that hangs indefinitely.

I tried installing Firefox 56 (the latest version available for OpenBSD 6.2) but the behaviour remained the same.

Interestingly, if I use the Dillo browser which doesn't support HTML5 or JavaScript, I can navigate the site quite efficiently including using the search engine (but the shopping basket doesn't work, presumably because it needs JavaScript).

I'll stick with the aforementioned workaround for now. Thanks for looking into this.

I have noticed that Firefox stops loading the farnell country websites after a few hours, I just get a long timeout and 'connection was reset' message. It has only been happening for the last few days.

I am using latest version of Firefox under Windows 10, no adblockers or any other addons, cache cleared and still it happens.

Using another computer, or even a virtual machine does not have a problem, so not a hardware issue.

My view after many years in software engineering is keep things simple, don't change stuff just because you have engineers with free time (apparently a big time Microsoft strategy).  The old maxim 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' absolutely applies in this case!

michaelkellett

I've been having the same problem and it also affects the CPC web site. RS, DigiKey and Mouser are all OK so it's definitely a Farnell problem - I had windows and orders in progress on all 4 at the same time.

Yesterday I was trying to place a big order for components and experiencing very very poor web page refresh (>> 10 seconds waits) in searches and shopping basket. This wasted a lot of time.

And another thing, why have you stopped stocking Linear Technology branded parts - they are are part of Analog Devices now and it means that pretty much every big order we do, Farnell are not a one stop source. When you couple the website issues with the LT problem it's not good.

MK

The website is painfully slow for me too, I've just a few "our website is down" pages come up too.

Trying to login to it now to download some invoices and it has taken over 30 seconds for the login page to appear. For months I've been having the same problems as other customers with very lengthy delays between pages.

I'm running Firefox 58.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux. Other sites do not have this problem.

James

Does anyone else try to place orders after normal closing hours, ie from 6pm till 8pm?

If they do have you ever tried to change the basket?

When I try to delete a product which is out of stock or change a quantity the farnell website becomes      the  WORST WEBSITE IN THE WORLD

It freezes, often for 25 0- 30 minutes, I have deleted cookies, run c cleaner and then restarted the machine and it still does not work, I have tried different browsers - generally use Chrome as advised.

I have complained to farnell about this till  I am blue in the face but they simply do not give a jot.

Terrible terrible website I absolutely detest it, those who designed it clearly have no clue about customers

uk.farnell.com will just not load for me Im using Firefox on linux.

If I switch to opera it loads instantly.

I find this a poor showing and time it was resolved.

I tend to agree that of all the component distributors I use, Farnell's website is the worst (both in terms of usability, but mostly the slowest).

Fetching dozens of scripts from unrelated 3rd party analytics sites is just rude - I'm buying components from *you* don't tell everyone else, that also seems to be a significant contributor to the slow speed (judging from the "Wait for google-analytics.com...." etc in the Chrome status bar) which pauses while trying to contact them and often timing out.

Typically, while composing a basket the site will time out fetching a page several times. This morning, it took just over an hour to order 27 line items - very poor. If Digikey or Mouser could do next day delivery in the UK I'd never have cause to use Farnell.

The search filters are very pretty, but not very functional. Remember your target audience is engineers, we don't care what things look like (look at our dress sense!) we want things that work and don't waste our valuable time.

Presumably, the web developers are all in the Leeds office with a gigabit connection to the server also in the Leeds office. Send them out on a day trip to a real customer site, it's really not difficult to reproduce, and it's pretty disingenuous to claim "can't recreate that here". Be assured - your website really is slow.

Hi there,

I'm experiencing same type of problem: timeout when we access directly on the website or via a google search with Firefox or Chrome. All good with Safari and Opera.

But I found another workaround: seems like farnell website need httpS protocol. As soon as I add "https://" to URL "fr.farnell.com", it load instantly!

Jean

Christy-Admin

I'll make sure the folks who run our websites see your additional updates/replies. Thanks for your continued feedback.

Christy

20th September 2018, it's just taken Farnell's server 1min 30 to respond to a 'submit order' request. An emailed response to my query came with the standard solution of 'clear you cache and cookies then try a different browser'. This does not work.

Someone has already mentioned redirects to marketing, data gathering and advert personalisation. I ran ghostery and it logged 70 or 80 tracking cookies as soon as searching for parts begins. This is not the sort of activity a professional company should be engaged in. I want to choose parts then give you my money. Why do you make that so hard?

Christopher Stanton

It can be difficult to diagnose problems such as this without knowing more information, such as:

- Your internet service provider

- Your method of connecting to your internet service provider (wirelessly, or via wired ethernet)

- Your current internet connection speed

- The device you're using to connect to the internet, and its network hardware (for example you could be connecting wirelessly using an 802.11b WiFi device which would be limited to 11mbps, or you could be using a mobile phone connecting via the Edge GSM network)

- What web browser you're using, and what version

- The specification of your computer that you're using to connect to the website and internet

For example, the tracking information, script and cookies on the website for me takes 20-30 seconds to load, max. So it can be very subjective.

Unfortunately while we can sometimes raise ticket requests for you with the web development team, the online store support is the best place for you to get support. There's the help center and there's the contact us page.

The point people are making is that other Web sites (not least your competitors’) work adequately using the same equipment and connection, therefore the problem must be with your site.

It’s not clear whether you’re offering 20–30 s as an example of good or bad performance, but most users would consider that to be at least ten times slower than is acceptable.

A few users here and elsewhere have made a link to cookies, and in particular ak_bmsc – which might suggest that your CDN’s Bot Manager is erroneously identifying legitimate users (especially those who might be using browser extensions and blockers for privacy reasons) as bots and throttling their connections. Please can you ask your Web team to look at this angle?

stevematt

Today I gave up trying to purchase anything - the site is simply unusable! I have tried several times throughout the day - Firefox and Chrome.  I tried Digikey and Mouser just to affirm that it wasn't anything common to my ISP but it is not.  Those sites perform very well!  A real pity - I hope Element14 appreciates the damage that this is doing to their reputation let alone sales performance.

Christopher Stanton

Who's your ISP? Can you post a result from speedtest.net ?

mcb1

I've been finding the NZ site slow as well.

Tried it here and at work ...

Mark

stevematt

The speedtest on my home ADSL gave 2.46/0.74 Mbps (Download/Upload).  One might consider that to be slow and sure that is what I think when comparing that speed to NBN users but that speed is actually more than sufficient to have a normal web browser experience.

Regardless, today I tried it at work where the Speedtest produced 20.5/3.82 Mbps.  The vast difference made no difference to the web site's performance and at times it was actually worse than what I experienced at home - which indicates that the IP speed is not the bottleneck.

Also bear in mind that other comparable sites like Digikey and Mouser perform as per normal expectations yet E14 is crawling in comparison.

So at work, the following times were noted:

- Opening the Element14 website (uncached): 38 secs

- Click on the Min-Max link of a filter to open the filter dialog - 12 secs

- Select some items to filter on and click on 'Apply Filters' and wait for the spinning wheel that updates the filter options in the LH pane to stop and displayed the content - 47 secs.

This is not a speed issue - not unless the E14 website has been designed that it now requires a minimum speed of 50+ Mbps so that the difference in performance between E14 and other comparable sites is not noticeable which would make E14 unusable for many customers in Australia who are still waiting for the infamous NBN to arrive and as in our case, we will never see those kind of speeds given we are 80km outside of a major city where everything that far is Rural and the performance using the 20.5 Mbps noted above is the best NBN has to deliver for non-city dwellers.  We also shouldn't have to disable scripts that E14 is including in their designs.

Seriously, the trail of customers reporting the same issues should be noted and E14 needs to accept that there is a real problem... that is the first step to addressing the issue - and I say this with respect for Element14/Farnell as a Company who have a great selection and availability of products - not to mention fantastic delivery times.  But I don't want to be spending 30 minutes to place an order for 6 electrolytic capacitors as was the case yesterday

Christopher Stanton

For the sake of covering every base I'll address the internet speed discussion

> The speedtest on my home ADSL gave 2.46/0.74 Mbps (Download/Upload).  One might consider that to be slow and sure that is what I think when comparing that speed to NBN users but that speed is actually more than sufficient to have a normal web browser experience.

This is pretty slow these days. If you're sharing the internet across multiple devices then that's going to be potentially slower at any given point. Also baring in mind that ADSL is variable in its speed this is just a snapshot of one moment and it could be slower if you ran the request a few different times.

Using google chrome, in the network tab, downloading uk.farnell.com retrieved 1.2mByte of information. If the speed you gave there (2.46) is in megabits per second, then that's about 0.3 megabytes per second, not accounting for the network frame overhead (and we're just saying 1.2mByte of payload here). So it's going to take more than a couple of seconds for you to download the page, assuming that it doesn't have to re-transmit the data, which it may have to.

> Regardless, today I tried it at work where the Speedtest produced 20.5/3.82 Mbps.  The vast difference made no difference to the web site's performance and at times it was actually worse than what I experienced at home - which indicates that the IP speed is not the bottleneck.

This unfortunately cannot be a fair comparison unless you know the infrastructure of your work network. It's entirely possible that wherever you work allows for certain type of traffic through and yet causes a slow down or bottleneck on other type of traffic. By this I mean 'Quality of Service', so pinging a web page or going specifically to speedtest.net might be given a high priority (because the technicians use these tools and speedtest.net doesn't strictly use HTTP for its speed test) but https/http traffic is not allowed through this fast and is thusly throttled.

--

It would also be helpful to have a distinction made when you say 'element14 site'. Do you mean au.element14.com or do you mean element14.com/community? As these are two different websites.

michaelkellett

I'm really worried that you are looking at this as a Steve problem rather than a global Farnell problem.

I had a little play today (9:00 am) and it seemed to be going about as well as it ever does the times I got were, starting from front page:

search MOSFET                 10

choose single MOSFET       6

N channel                             5

apply box comes up             8

min/max                                1

apply min max                       5

total                                       35

and Mouser:

search MOSFET                 4

choose single MOSFET       2

N channel                             6

apply box comes up             step not needed

min/max                                step not needed

apply min max                       20

32

As you can see Mouser help themselves by better web site design (same system as Digikey) and save 2 steps altogether.

They then disgrace themselves with a dreadful search time on min/max (in both cases I set min 0.1R and max 1R for RDS on

My impression is that this is typical with Farnell on a good day - ie not as quick as Mouser or Digikey but not actually dreadful over all. Maddening because with slight improvements in website design it could be better !

I also get huge slowdown problems if I have a lot of items (20+) in the shopping basket - so going into the basket view takes ages.

The way to look at this is the way Tesco did with their UK stores - there was a time (15 years ago) when huge queues at the checkouts were routine at busy times. Tesco were trying to win market share from rivals so they invented their "On-in-front" policy - ie they would open more tills if any customer had more than one other in front of them at a till.

They put money into training, queue counting technology and so on, and for a year or so while their competitors caught up they won customers from them at an amazing rate.

For Farnell, RS, Digikey and Mouser the web portal is the shop - every customer is a few clicks from all the key players, every serious customer has accounts with them all. To keep us, the customer experience has to be good and feel good.

An just so it's clear that some of the others do daft things:

Yesterday RS invited me to "Accessorize your RS Pro 1mm Yellow Test Terminal", with either some nice green ones or some 1.32mm ones- that's customer relations gone silly  - I didn't buy any green terminals. (Hot tip - the 1mm yellow ones are about 1/3 of the price of any other colour !)

MK

mcb1

Christopher

I've also noted the shop site (nz.element14.com) slow.

It seems to take forever to render the page with filtered choices.

I'm wondering if the the issue isn't your site  but all the other various parties involved.

Just a normal page here, generates traffic to a number of others.

It was getting to the stage of dragging out the printed version just so I could narrow down the choices.

You also have various javascript running, so it's not only about a link to a page.

It could be some of these are either fighting a filter in the browser or simply taking time to deliver whatever they do.

Thanks

Mark

Christopher Stanton

Google Chrome has a nice feature to let you see page loading in detail.

So from the menu (three dots) go to tools -> more tools -> developer tools

Then click on the 'network' tab, and now use the browser window to open a web page, you can see how long it takes for each individual item to load on the page. It can be best to do this in an incognito tab so that it doesn't have any browser add-ons or cookies loaded.

From this, on nz.element14.com via the work proxy, from watching the page load and also seeing this 'trace', most of the visuals of the page actually loaded under 10 seconds, with some stragglers taking up to 26 seconds.

Because some of the page appears to load at once (say the 4 second mark, and then at the 10 second mark) it seems this is either relying/waiting on something or is purposefully given a lower priority in loading. I'm not a web developer - so I don't know for certain, however the main body of the page certainly loaded within the 10 seconds.

Now if I access the site via my external, american proxy server I get very different results.

Everything has loaded within 10 seconds in a new incognito tab, though there's one thing that took even longer - but it doesn't appear to be crucial to the page at all.

Sometimes the amount of time it takes for a page to load isn't always the speed of the internet connection (directly) it can be the speed of one of the hops the connection has to bounce through between the source and the destination - now I would have thought that this page had been cached which is why it loaded faster the second time were it not for the fact I had cleared it, and used a new incognito window each time, and a different network connection (so there was no work proxy caching between them).

It just shows how variable it can be with a seemingly subtle change.

3 of 3 people found this helpful

Update: If I block the ak_bmsc cookie I can browse cpc.farnell.com and place orders without difficulty. Search does not work, however. If I allow the cookie, pages rarely finish loading, which prevents any further action and makes the site entirely unusable. This backs up the earlier suggestion that there is an issue with your Akamai service. (The name of the cookie points to Akamai Bot Manager, and from the HTTP headers it looks like Akamai provides the search service.)

BigG

I use Privacy Badger on my Chrome browser which is on by default. When enabled it slows down the Farnell website. When disabled, which I'm happy with for this website, then page loads are pretty fast.

When opening the page inspect option on Chrome, I notice that there are quite a few script files which are front-end loaded, synchronously, which can slow things down. I believe there is now an html5 option to do this asynchronously, or alternatively you could try place some of those script files at the bottom of the html page.

Something is definitely happening with ak_bmsc cookie while accessing au.element14.com. More than a couple of component searches returns the error:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://au.element14.com/" on this server.

Removing the cookie sometimes allows further progress but I'm not sure why it is necessary to open the browser completely for E14 when competitor and other businesses have no issue with browsers using specific security addons.

lui_gough

I've been an element14 customer for a while and generally don't have too many problems with the site except slowness but tonight, getting fed up hitting more Access Denied messages:

I've been trying to leaf through several subsections of the latest clearance sales ... and I've had to clear my cookies three times now just to browse "effectively". Maybe loading several tabs at once isn't helping, but what I'm doing is not exactly unusual or at a rate impossible for a human to digest, and I'm logged into my legitimate account. Whatever it is, I suspect I'm hitting into a rate limit of sorts - but what do you expect from someone browsing aimlessly for cheap stuff to buy or researching *all* the possible products within a given market space?

I've also seen several instances of the Phantom Product issue I mentioned earlier this afternoon on the au.element14.com site as well, so this isn't entirely encouraging.

EDIT: Three pages after clearing a cookie, back to this:

I suspect element14 might not recognise the fact that I'm on Vodafone LTE data as my primary connection, which uses a carrier grade NAT. Maybe someone else behind the NAT is hammering their site but blocking the IP means everyone on a particular Vodafone NAT pool gets blocked - me included. As an element14 supporter, it's getting more difficult for me to use your site because of this ...

EDIT 2: Cleared cookies again, this time it pooped out on me mid-checkout. That's probably the worst thing that could happen. Time to clear and see if I can even place my order today ...

EDIT 3: Nope. Couldn't manage to check-out at all. In fact, logged back in, prices changed (went up by almost 10% over the whole cart), but tried to examine one of the products and got immediately banished.

At least I'm not banished from the community, right? cstanton - would be appreciated if you could somehow get to the bottom of this - I seem to have a habit of triggering the message.

- Gough

Dudley Nelson

Hi lui_gough - while the stores aren't technically part of my remit, I've been talking for a while with some of our transactional team about this, and looked up the error references that you've passed up. Having an error makes things much easier to investigate

And a sudden wild thought has arisen.

Do you run any kind of addons that handle privacy? BigG mentioned that he runs privacy badger (which I also use) and his comment of things slowing down when it is enabled and speeding up when disabled has made me suddenly think of a potential cause of all of this drama. It could be that it is doing something specific that causes us to slow down the traffic we serve to you. I don't want to go into too many details until I'm more certain. "Slow" is subjective, but an error is black and white - If I can reproduce the error, then I'll be able to categorically prove exactly what it is causing this, and then I'll have a large smoking gun I can take to the team responsible and see what they say. (Apologies for being purposefully vague, but until I have that smoking gun, I don't really want to give away details unnecessarily)

If you are using privacy addons, can you let me know which ones and I'll pop them onto my Firefox installation and see if I can reproduce?

Dudley Nelson

I've been speaking with various teams to try to get to the bottom of this, and I have a plan for proceeding with this.

I'm currently working on a theory that certain browser addons/extensions (ad blockers, privacy managers etc) are mutating requests in such a way that the transactional site confuses normal users with scraping bots, and this is what is causing the slowdown.

My next step is to reproduce this. So people on this thread who have complained about slowness - what browsers are you using, and what addons do you have for handling privacy and/or ad blocking? It would be interesting data too if you could (temporarily) whitelist the transactional site on your ad blocker and see if the problem goes away. Then unwhitelist it and see if it comes back. If it does, I definitely want to know which addon/extension it is that happened with.

My latest findings (post whatever changes you’ve made in the last week or so):

After clearing cookies, I can load one page from cpc.farnell.com (whether the home page, or a deeper link like https://cpc.farnell.com/browse‑for‑products). The page completes loading in a reasonable time. (Previously, the page would usually hang for longer than I was willing to wait, during which time no other action – even clicking a link – was possible.)

If I allow the ak_bmsc cookie, any subsequent page load attempt immediately results in a 403 Access Denied error.

If I block ak_bmsc, I can browse the site normally. (I haven’t tried placing an order. Search still gives Access Denied.)

What I did discover was that a recent change broke my cookie blocker (a quick-and-dirty self-written Chrome extension) because the server is now returning HTTP headers in lower case ("set-cookie") whereas previously it used mixed case ("Set-Cookie"). Perhaps other users who are suddenly seeing lots of Access Denied errors are experiencing the same issue (i.e. a buggy browser extension was previously blocking the cookie, and now it’s not.)

(Addendum to my earlier reply)

So to summarise: I am no longer experiencing the slowness (per the thread title) I was seeing earlier (when pages were failing to complete loading when the ak_bmsc cookie was present).

The issue now is that the slowness seems to have been replaced by a very fast Access Denied – which isn’t much of an improvement, but of course knowing what settings you changed to cause that will help you get to the bottom of the problem. (There are other threads about Access Denied specifically already, so we can move the discussion there if it makes more sense.)

To your questions: I am using Chromium (a pretty old version for some accessibility reasons, but that shouldn’t make any difference here, unless version numbers are taken into account in bot detection) with a self-written extension that removes or shortens the User-Agent, Accept and Accept-Language request headers – but even if I disable that (and allow ak_bmsc), I get Access Denied after the first page. As far as possible I browse without JavaScript, and have got scores of tracking sites black-holed in my hosts file. I am well aware that these actions will in some instances reduce functionality, and am happy to relax my paranoia in certain cases, but it’s always interesting to see which sites are rendered completely unuseable.

I am also connected to the Internet via a phone network that uses CGNAT, which others have mentioned as a potential further source of suspicion.

If it helps:

Using Chrome 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit), after using the search filter, I get:

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://cpc.farnell.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.5c33dd58.1541350107.b468c0

This is a solid fault, in that I can't get round this - even getting the above message from a simple https://cpc.farnell.com/

Ordinarily, I give up and use another supplier, because the fault is like you have specifically tried to block my access at some point based on identity - and it has been frequently happening for about the last 6 months now.

However, today, I found this dicussion, so reverted to Edge, in order to compare, I didn't have a problem in Edge and was able to place an order - so I returned back to Chrome, and within the Dev console, deleted the CPC cookies for this instance only. At that point, you then let me back into the front page. So you are placing a cookie, which you then parse and for some reason then deny access as a result. Hopefully that reference will enable your DevOps to cross reference what the issue was.

This is sort of ironic that ad blockers are causing an issue. Not sure if/why the people with the slow down have ad blockers but for me I installed two just because of the random popup ads and other nag rubbish on the EL14 website.

Admittedly the site has improved since its very lowest point about 1-2 years ago.

Recently for me also, the Farnell website now throws up access denied using Firefox. I'm not interested in wasting time fiddling with browser setting etc. It should work. The folks looking after the website are paid to ensure that I would presume.

Also, the filter parameters  are clearly not chosen  by engineers. They used to be good but now it's far better to use Mouser or Digikey. For example, I'm look for a panel mounted board to wire power connector. I go to wire-board connector and current rating is not a filter field – useless.

I’m sorry to say after 18 years of using Farnell almost exclusively for my designs and putting Farnell stock codes into BOMs for my clients, I shall be looking elsewhere. Using the current Farnell website just take too long. Time is money.

Why don’t the web team get a small group of real engineers to help them design something better for the user point of view, and pay them to do it.

French user here. I have no idea what the reason is but fr.farnell.com just does not work. At best i can use the site for 10 minutes, then the server just stops responding. Sometimes i am not able to open the page at all (server not responding).

I am using Firefox 60 ESR. I have uBlock and some other stuff enabled and i will not disable it looking at all the crap that is implemented in the Farnell-website (why??).

I am trying to complete a order for several days now, i think i will just go and buy elsewhere. Your website is just unusable. Please fix asap.

Don't know what you did but the last few days fr.farnell.com works fine. Could still be a bit faster and i had a "Access denied" once but it works. Thank you.

I just had this happen. Firefox and curl don't even get a single byte out of the webserver, nor a dropped connection. This is completely unacceptable. I tried logging in because apparently some order did not get charged to my credit card, and if not for this thread I wouldn't even have suspected that this could be down to farnell, and I would have been completely unable to pay for this.

This is unacceptable! The website was sluggish last time I had to use it, with load times of several minutes on every click. I can't even...

This is ridiculous.  Element14 has been slow for over a year now.   Doesn't matter where I am (home, work, different companies)... it's just god awful to try to order from this place.  I am very close to giving up and just eliminating newark from my suppliers list. 

@nickoctopi It's really slow for me when logged in and about 10x faster when using a private browsing/incognito tab.

I find what I want in the private tab and then add them by part number in a logged in tab - Frustrating that we need to do this, but the website is taking me ~30 seconds to do anything when logged in and ~2 seconds when logged out!