11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 4:48 AM by awardautomation

Why can't symbols be copied between library parts

Sparkylabs

CS refuses to copy and paste the symbol design from one schematic symbol to another. Another appaling fail of this half hatched software ? It's a universale need to use symbols again.

• Re: Why can't symbols be copied between library parts
          e14softwareuk

Assuming you are in the schematic library editor and have the SCH Library window showing (View > Library).

Method 1: Right click on existing symbol, Copy. Left click in window, Paste. A copy of the symbol is created.

Method 2: Open an existing symbol in the editor window. Select an element (line, arc, pin), click Copy (Ctrl+C) and left click. Use the library window to open a different symbol, use Paste (Ctrl+V) to copy the element into that symbol.

tarribred61

I think the complaint maybe about simply not being able to draw a box around the elements (primitives) of the symbol in the SCH Library and then copy/paste them to another symbol.  If I try this with a very simple symbol such a test point that has one pin and a graphic line and a circle then it appears to correctly select the primitives and the option to copy them comes up in the right-click options.  However, if I then make a new symbol and try to paste the pin and primitives into the symbol it acts as if I copied the part (it makes TESTPOINT_1) instead of pasting the primitives to the new blank part.  Similarly, if you try CTRL-A and then CTRL-C and then pick the blank part and paste you will instead make TESTPOINT_2,.

After doing this a few times, my software got confused and it appeared that I was not able to pick and copy individual primitives.

I was able to get this to work by selecting individual primitives with SHIFT-LEFT-CLICK to pick several and then copy/paste to the new symbol.

I have been making some of my symbols this way; I use a template symbol such as IC-Template, RES-Template and copy/paste to a new symbol (IC-Template_1).  This copy then has all the default parameter names and default values that I wanted from my template.  Then I alter the primitives as I need them.  This might include possibly copy/paste from some other symbol or perhaps from something I pulled in from the vault.

Another feature you need to know is that the paste order can make primitives hide other primitives, such as having a filled box obscure the pins.  To fix that you must select the primitive and then use the Tools> Move > Send to Back command.

So my conclusion is that it does work but is a bit dodgy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  e14softwareuk

There does seem to be some unreliability with the copy command. The drag a rectangle to select does sometimes work with Ctrl+C but other times seems to fail, deselecting and then reselecting will often allow the copy to take place. I will report this to Altium for investigation.

tarribred61

Also, it looks like after making the selection and then choosing copy you need to pick another point as origin of the copy with an additional left click; at least it works more consistently for me with this.  Sometimes this takes and sometimes it doesn't.  Then if you right click, the paste option will be either grayed out (it didn't take) or will be normal.

It is still unreliable but perhaps Simon can at least try it again knowing you need to make the extra mouse click to set the origin.  To add to the confusion, the cut operation will delete the selection but you cannot always paste it back.

Sparkylabs

Yes this is pretty much the case. So your saying that I need to click on each item instead of just drag selecting the lot ?

If altium think I'm spending £5K on AD any day they have another thing coming.

bugrobotics

I hear you Simon.  I won't spend the money for Altium Designer, out of principal alone, until this CircuitStudio mess is fixed.  I invest thousands in design software on a yearly basis and the way that Altium is going about this development feels like a joke.

Sparkylabs

Well I am running out of options, I still have a licence to Proteus which I am no fan of but it is certainly stable and mostly bug free and they do fix stuff and I'm not getting rid of it. CS looks like farnell wanted a way to try and keep people buying stuff from them and altium wanted to entice people to buy altium. both have failed, the RS website is now super fast at searches unlike the 486 server farnell runs on and altium is simply showing us how rubbish their software might be.

tarribred61

Actually, I found Altium Designer to be very good and doesn't have these sorts of issues as they have largely fixed them over the years.  Some of the issues CS has is from stripping it down and changing the UI. I'm optimistic they will improve over the next couple of releases and am willing to be patient for the low cost.  Once you learn the work-arounds it is fairly productive for a small user.  But then, I'm sure different people have other viewpoints.

Sparkylabs

What amazes me is that thought they could sell this for £2500....... at £805 I was enticed in the knowledge it might be rubbish. The fact that they will sell it at as little as 50% shows how much it is actually worth.

bugrobotics

Yea, Altium Designer is a good product.  I used it for a while with another company.  I agree Thomas, CircuitStudio is a haphazardly crippled Altium Designer to minimize labor input and make some quick cash.  The downside to that approach is you turn off potential buyers of the flagship product because if you're willing to do put your name on something and treat it like this then what makes anyone think that Altium won't do the same with Altium Designer.  I don't need all of the bells and whistles that come with Altium Designer, just a rock solid PCB design tool.  That what I was hoping to get with CircuitStudio and so far it has been disappointing.  The fact that the 1.4 release is broken and a fix (or plan for a fix) hasn't been released and I get blue screens when using the software doesn't instill any confidence.

Yea, I hear you Simon.

awardautomation

Hi Simon

I think shift - copy is the key, as Thomas suggested ... I just tried it and it seems to work... solved my similar problem.

What happens when you:

• shift + drag select
                                    • right click copy
                                    • change to another component (if you can find the SCH Library window which loves to go missing)
                                    • right click paste