15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2017 1:08 AM by shabaz

Issues with 7" LCD

greggo298@gmail.com

Hi, I'm trying to set up one of your LCD monitors on my pi 3. Have checked and re-checked the connectors and they are correct. Have updated and upgraded the os. And have added ignore_lcd=0 to /boot/config.txt. I am starting the pi with no HDMI screen connected - just the LCD via its connectors. Admittedly I'm a noob but I've done everything my multiple searches have uncovered and still there is no life in the screen. Nothing. Am beginning to think it's the screen and not me.

Can you please help?

• Re: Issues with 7" LCD
          shabaz

Hi Greg,

If you're using the display model that I think you're suggesting, then it is worth reading all the comments in this blog post: Raspberry Pi 7” Touchscreen Display , because there are currently 337 comments there, mostly Q&A, and since you know precisely how you installed and configured it, it will be easier for you to scan through those comments. Since there are hundreds of comments there, the chances of identifying your issue (or determining for sure if it is faulty) from those comments is pretty high I think.

If you wish to examine in close detail the install steps and photos of each step, then there are some instructions and photos here: Raspberry Pi 7” Capacitive Touch Display: Assembly and Enclosure

It is not the official documentation and therefore you may spot something in there since it can help reading things a different way sometimes.

greggo298@gmail.com

So I tried dmesg | grep -i FT5 and got nothing

I do get a couple of errors in dmesg:

w1_add_master_device: set_pullup requires write_byte or

touch_bit, disabling

brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_drivestrengthinit: No SDIO Drive

strength init done for chip 43430 rev 1 pmurev 24

brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware version = wl0: Aug

7 2017 00:46:29 version 7.45.41.46 (r666254 CY) FWID 01-f8a78378

brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code

brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code

brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR: netdev:wlan0 already exists

brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ignore IF event

I'm unsure if this is related?

jomoenginer

Greg,

Those messages are related to the Broadcom WiFi chip on the board.  If you update the OS on the board they should go away.

Ref:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/620

With regards to the issue with the LCD, see if the driver is actually loaded using the following:

lsmod | grep -i ft
                  rpi_ft5406              4783  0

You should see something like the following as a result of running the command:

rpi_ft5406              4783  0

If you do not see this, try the following and then run the 'lsmod' command again.

modprobe  rpi-ft5406

If this still does not result in seeing the device driver in the lsmod output, then you might have a hardware issue or some sort of connection issue.

If it does result in seeing the 'ft5406' or similar driver in the 'lsmod' output, then I would suggest updating the OS as well as the firmware on the RasPi .

Ref:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122891

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/display/troubleshooting.md

Raspberry Pi Official 7" Touchscreen Assembly - Support - Pimoroni Buccaneers

greggo298@gmail.com

Good news: I managed to get rpi_ft5406    4783 0 to show.

Not so good news: I upgraded raspbian but still no luck with the screen. It gives me nothing.

Sorry to be a hassle, but what should I be doing next?

jomoenginer

Are you seeing the display with 'lsmod'?  Also, have you updated the firmware on the RasPi?

Ex:

sudo rpi-update

How do you have the display connected to the Raspberry Pi?  T  Ensure you are using a power supply that is at least 2.5A.  I think anything less might cause power issues. I have the SmartiPi case and stand which same with a splitter for the USB power connection which seemed better than running some jumper cables to the display.

Are you seeing anything pop up in 'dmesg' or in '/var/log/messages', '/var/log/syslog', '/var/log/boot.log'?

If there is anything that might look interesting it would be best to post it.

Could you outline the steps you have taken so far to both connect the display as well as troubleshoot it?  This might be helpful.

greggo298@gmail.com

Re how display is connected to Raspberry Pi: using jumper cables

Re power supply: using the official raspberry pi power supply 2.5A (which I

am plugging into the display and not the Raspberry Pi). I do also have a

wifi dongle (Element14 Wi-Pi) and an optical mouse, but wouldn't have

thought that would be enough to cause power issues.

Running dmesg, I get this error:

w1_add_master_device: set_pullup requires write_byte or

touch_bit, disabling

Running /var/log/messages shows this is reoccurring:

Sep 18 21:18:41 raspberrypi rsyslogd-2007: action 'action 17' suspended,

next retry is Mon Sep 18 21:20:11 2017

Sep 18 21:19:09 raspberrypi kernel:  w1_master_driver

w1_bus_master1: Family 0 for 00.f40000000000.15 is not registered.

When running this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo nano dmesg | grep -i ft5406

I get a blank line (not even "pi@raspberrypi:~ $"), so that seems to

suggest the Pi's note detecting the touchscreen.

Re steps to connect the display and to troubleshoot: I've connnected and

re-connected all the jumper leads and cables. Everything appears to be

connected and seated correctly. I know the SD card is in correctly as my Pi

works fine on HDMI, just not the LCD. I am booting my Pi with the HDMI

unplugged when trying to use the LCD.

I have updated Raspberian. I have added ignore_lcd=0 to /boot/config.txt

(aside from that, I've never edited the config file).

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM, jomoenginer <messages@element14.com>

shabaz

Hi Greg,

Could you provide detailed photos of your setup if possible; that can sometimes help.

Also, please could you confirm the following, because a few things sound unusual: Is it a pi model 3? I ask, because the Pi 3 has built-in wireless, but you mentioned plugging in a wireless card. Some of the older Pi's were not supported, I don't know if that has changed. You also mention an SD card, but the Pi 3 has a micro SD card.

jomoenginer

Greg Burge wrote:

When running this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo nano dmesg | grep -i ft5406

I get a blank line (not even "pi@raspberrypi:~ $"), so that seems to

suggest the Pi's note detecting the touchscreen.

I have updated Raspberian. I have added ignore_lcd=0 to /boot/config.txt

(aside from that, I've never edited the config file).

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM, jomoenginer <messages@element14.com>

You do not want to run dmesg like that.  You are trying to start the nano editor and dmesg then piping that to grep.  You should be able to run the command like this:

dmesg |grep -i ft5406
                                    [    2.282902] rpi-ft5406 rpi_ft5406: Probing device
                                    [    2.286451] input: FT5406 memory based driver as /devices/virtual/input/input0

The "w1_add_master_device" error you are seeing is associated with the one-wire driver and should not cause an issue with the display.  However, since it does deal with the GPIO pins, I could not say 100% that it is not related. 

See this for the w1 issue.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106041

I do not have "ignore_lcd=0" in the /boot/config.txt in my config so I am not sure why it would be needed.

jomoenginer

Greg,

Not knowing fully what you have or have not tried, when you running the following, do you get anything in response?

dmesg | grep -i FT5

You should see something like this.

dmesg | grep -i FT5
                          [    2.288627] rpi-ft5406 rpi_ft5406: Probing device
                          [    2.289205] input: FT5406 memory based driver as /devices/virtual/input/input0

Also, check the rest of the 'dmesg' output to see if there are any errors listed.

Cheers,

Jon