7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 4:22 AM by joerg_reuter

Problem with Pi Desktop Case

joerg_reuter

have the same problem as Robert (Pi Desktop very disappointing ). I have the Pi Desktop already a couple of weeks. At the beginning, everything went perfectly normal and suddenly I had no HDMI signal. Only through the tests of Robert I noticed that it really depends on the SD card. I have tried several SD cards with always the same result: If I start the device without extension everything works always problem-free. With extension, there is no HDMI signal when I press the normal power button. I turn off again (and do not pull the power supply!) And remove the SD card and insert it again, the system boots completely normal. I have a 128 GB Samsung SD card (the effect also occurs at 32 and 16 GB) and a Kingstion 120 GB SSD disk. The effect occurs with and without an SSD disk.

Video: https://youtu.be/Hv7WsLgQZJ8

• Re: Problem with Pi Desktop Case
          shabaz

Hi Jorg,

I didn't check the entire video, but at the start (when the HDMI output is not available) it can be seen that the red light on the Pi is on, so it is getting power.

This means one of these possibilities could exist (there may be more, but this should cover most of the possibilities):

(a) The Pi has power, but insufficient power for some reason -> confirm you are using the official power supply, or

(b) The Pi is deliberately being kept in a reset state -> connect up USB-UART device to the 40-way connector and see from the serial console output if the Pi boots up, or

(c) The Pi has tried to boot, but failed for some reason -> connect up a USB-UART device to the 40-way connector and see from the serial console output how far the Pi got before a failure message occurs

For (b) and (c), the procedure to use a USB-UART device is here:

Accessing and Controlling the Pi

Scroll down to the "Using a Serial Console" section.

For (a), I couldn't immediately see from the video what power supply you are using. Could you let me know the model number/link to it? For fully debugging (a), you should consider removing the attached SSD and any other peripherals, to reduce the current consumption. You could also consider trying to measure the voltage at the Pi (the 5V and GND connections are on the 40-way connector, you'll need a multi-meter for this measurement).

Anyway, that's how I would debug it. Without doing this, it is like flying blind. Some visibility is needed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful