22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 1:53 PM by DAB

Is it possible to transport humans and things through air?

dixon415

I wonder how it would be if we can transport human beings or other things like luggage, goods and livestock through air. Something similar to teleport. Is it really possible to break atoms and combine them again at a different place?

Leave your comments in the comments section below!

• Re: Is it possible to transport humans and things through air?
          rsc

Yes, Dixon,

Both nuclear fisson and fusion can be done, I don't think it's been done with the same material because there is not a way to capture it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            dougw

It is a mind boggling exercise to even quantify the problem.

There are 7 x 10 to the 27th power atoms in a human. One issue of many is you need a machine that can record the type of atom, its state and its location with atomic precision of all these atoms at exactly the same time.

To provide some perspective, all the data on all google servers combined is less than 10 to the 19th power bytes - not even close to enough to capture the state of one human.

Transmitting this amount of data at the fastest known speeds might take longer than the universe has been in existence.

The closest thing we could attempt in the foreseeable future is growing a clone from DNA. Incidentally DNA is a promising way to store vast amounts of data.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              DAB

Unfortunately, there are fatal flaws in the idea.

While it might be possible one day to deconstruct every atom in  person and then reassemble them in correct order, it would be nearly impossible to capture all of the metadata within the body that makes you, you.

You not only need the correct atoms, but you also need the precise number of photons around the atom to capture the exact state of each atom.

The complexity of nearly every living thing is more than just its collection of atoms.  There are genetic constructs within those atoms that keep the object functioning.  Since we do not know how any of those things works, then reconstructing the exact state of the array of atoms become moot.

The other issue is moral.  You essentially have to kill yourself to transport and recreate yourself somewhere else.  It is a suicide and resurrection conundrum.  Even if you can do it, should you?

That added to the other issue of reliability of information and state transfer makes such a process extremely hazardous.

As Douglas pointed out, that is a lot of data to transfer.  Even a one part per billion error rate would leave serious flaws in the copy.

Think about all of the errors you get everyday in web searches.  Then extrapolate that into people transfers.  Are you really prepared to live with the consequences?

DAB

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  dougw

Yes, I didn't get into the state of each atom, but it is quite conceivable that the structure and state of all the subatomic particles in every single atom could individually take more data to accurately describe than what is stored on all the google servers right now. Each quark could be like an entire universe - we essentially have no knowledge at this level.

dixon415

Thanks DAB for pinpointing about State of atoms and Morality in implementing the idea. Yes, even cloning humans is immoral and I agree with you that I won't opt for killing myself and then recreating me.

Also, thank you for the data saving stuff and how you related it with the errors we receive while searching in Google. Nobody will like to live with errors.

I am still wondering if not humans what about non-living stuff like luggage, goods. Can we try experimenting with them or do they also have limitations?

Dixon Selvan

DAB

As I said earlier, even with my simple atomic model, there is a lot of issues with first capturing the true state of each atom and then reassembling that state somewhere else.

We currently do not have the technology to do this.

That said, as my research continues, we are learning more about how photons interact with atoms in physics, chemistry and biology to the point were there just might be a way to manipulate individual atoms with a fair degree of control.  At this point I am just defining some experiments where I can verify my atomic structure and the effect of photon transfer.

In theory, we should be able to reconstruct an atomic structure atom by atom, so structural things might be built.  At this point I do see a potential for the original Star Trek replicator device, but there are many technical details yet to work out.

I have just begun to dig into chemical and biological structures, but I can say that they are another level of complexity beyond just the physical atomic interactions.  I do however, see the same photon transfer effect in these areas as well, so once we get to the physical construction, chemical structures should also be possible.  Biology, in theory, should follow the same technology path.

If you are interested in my Atomic Model, take a look at my latest book "Reverse Engineering The Universe" and you will see how simple I think atoms really are.

DAB

mcb1

I think the answer is NO.

Very interesting DAB  and dougw

dr-jhc

It can be done... but only if you don't care where every particle is transported to, or don't care if you make a good approximation to the original item.

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle will get you every time: you can know exactly where something is, but have no idea about its energy; or you can know exactly its energy but have no idea where it is.

Even if you could get around this, how fast can you measure, teleport and reconstruct all the particles? Everything is in constant motion so best case you would end up with some fuzzy, out-of-focus copy of the original.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                          e14phil

This has always interested me, sadly this is something that is not currently possible.

There seems to be 3 main concepts, BUT they are all currently not an option.

1) Vaporize somebody into particles and stream these particles through space, these would be like a stream of smoke that would be guided to the target area, then rebuild. I guess this would not be able to pass through solid walls or doors, so you could not teleport into a closed room.

2) Some sort of space timey-wimey black hole system using space folding, when you make two points in space touch as you leap through.

3) People are scanned, broken into pieces, that data is transmitted to a receiver station that rebuilds you.

A darker question to ask about this 3rd technique is that: if we work on the assumption that your molecules are taken to bits and registered, and that the data is sent then rebuilt at the other side based on the existing data, has that person died and then be re born, and if you find a way of scanning someone without disassembling them, you have found a method of photocopying a person.

Both of these raise ethical issues and issues from everything from marriage law to can you claim your own life insurance payout.

Spoooky

dwinhold

If my calculations are correct (Probably not), there are 7x10^27 atoms in the human body. The worlds fastest super computer can do 1x10^15 calculations per second. Now if any of this was possible the super computer would take 31709791 years to calculate the disassembly of the human body in correct order and that again to reassemble. This would mean it would take around 6 million years for this transport to be complete. I am sure the computer would crash sometime in this process. Question is, what would happen then? As well, if it was successful are you technically dead for all those years or just in suspension? So many questions and not many answers for this to be possible at this time. For now I am sticking to flying in a plane for air travel

Dale W

3 of 3 people found this helpful