21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 5:24 PM by classic1969

PS2 Slimline Portable

classic1969

Hey Ben, I was wondering if you could make a PS2 Slimline Portable if you have not already? I myself have a couple PS2's at home and always find myself wishing I could take them with me to watch old Simpsons DVD's and play Gran Turismo on the go a bit easier. I think it'd be awesome if it included:

- The optical drive, of course (would probably would well on the back and have a flip-open cover similar to a PS1's disc drive cover

- At least one controller port for stuff like wireless receivers or a second controller

- Ability to connect to an external monitor/TV

- Have some kind of way to have replaceable-when-dead rechargeable battery pack that can be charged from the wall to the PS2 via a laptop-style adapter of sorts rather than a bunch of AA or AAA batteries (if possible) so that it saves money

- Have at least one memory slot to save games on because not being able to save is rather unfortunate

- Maybe a headphone jack? I do not believe any PS2's had one, so that'd be a rather interesting challenge.

- Though not necessary, an extra bonus would be to have at least 1 USB port like the original did

- Of course, the built in controller controls

- Yet another unnecessary bonus could be adding an Ethernet port that I'm not sure all of them had, I know my silver one has it though I don't use it

- A quick note is that you probably already know this but it would be a good idea to use a 7900x series slimline as I believe it has the most compact internals out of all of them and plus hey nothing wrong with a newer model, right?

- IP 66 Rating

I think this would be a nice experience for the viewers to watch, and be an interesting challenge to build. I think you could do it considering the N64 portable you did (Fantastic job by the way! Love the silver accents on it). I actually have a 79001 PS2 Slim that I could totally send in if you'd like, but if I do that would you send the handheld back to me? I can pay you whatever you need that video revenue can't give.

Have a wonderful day,

- Classic

Update: I have began to do this myself, the reason for which is explained with the answer I selected for this discussion, so here's the link:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/232628/l/ps2-slimline-portable-project#232628

*Quick note, I am very new to Element 14 so if anyone has constructive criticism, please do share.

• Re: PS2 Slimline Portable
          makerkaren

I'm thinking back to my days of having a discman. How would you avoid having the disc skip from vibrations of movement? Granted, it depends on how much you move around when you play the portable, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be if your game froze mid-game because the disc got bumped.

With other portable builds or suggestions, people have also wanted a port for an external controller. Do you think that would be necessary?

ninjatrent

The anti skip was great. My cd player had like 140 seconds of skip protection. Might have been a Koss brand.

I might be wrong but I do believe that cd players with this feature would keep a constant x seconds of the currently played music track in the play buffer.

The tech worked very well but as an unintended consequence, battery life is reduced.

It would be interesting to see this technology applied to a portable disc based console. I believe the PS2 used a special DVD.

I wonder if the PSP had any sort of skip protection on those awesome little UMDs.

Now we have the Vita, with the funky Sony-proprietary SD carts that are easy to lose.

hardwarehacking7

And those vita flash cartridges work just like a umd written on an SD card. I think they just moved it over to load faster, like a solid state version, but with less reliable flash memory.

Funny thing, and I don't condone this, but those flash cartridges are easier to bootleg than umds, I've rarely ever seen a blank umd, but I've seen SD card adapters that would work in place of the vita card, but unless your developing to release on a real flash card for the vita, or backing up your already our he'd games, I don't recommend it.

So you have your pros and cons, like with everything. I personally love the vita, but yes it would be cool if the psp had anti skip.

classic1969

The skipping issue:

I think that as long as it isnt shaken around too much, it should be fine. I have a disc player in my truck in real life, and that thing shakes and vibrates constantly due to the suspension, and the tight transmission. Very, very, rarely do the discs ever actually skip, though that may be due to how the disc player is built. Is there some way to give the disc player some kind of anti-vibration mount, similar to ones in a computer for hard drives? The portable probably will move around more so I would like to second the option Ninja has given. Also, how about giving it a way to download from the disc onto a hard drive to play from that, so the issue can be pretty much avoided entirely? Would that take too long to incorporate into the console and/or be too hard to program? I know the PS2 has little to no OS on it at all so it'd probably be quite a challenge. I think that if you were to use the portable, you would probably have it gently sit in your lap or wherever you set it with some kind of kickstand to keep it still.

The controller port:

This could be omitted, but it would remove the multiplayer function for when you use it as a home console.

Also, an idea on keeping the discs from skipping is having the console itself, the controller, and screen as the actual handheld, while the disc player is a separate unit connected by a decently high bandwidth cable.

A second idea is to completely change the design to be like a PS2 netbook (I haven't seen that name is such a long time) with a controller port or two so you can play games on a bigger screen but still be portable. A bonus challenge for the netbook is integrating a keyboard that works on at least dvds for menus and games for controllers like arrow keys and typing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      hardwarehacking7

You would have to modify the hard drive to boot the iso of the ps2 game without full emulating, or do you mean to make a ps2 work like a Vita, but with disk instead of the vita card and a hard-drive instead of Sony storage cards.

classic1969

Basically, what i was thinking, was the PS2 would clone all the necessary files from the disc onto the hard drive and when it finished copying, it would stop spinning the disc and start reading the HDD for anything that was playable. Once it found the movie or game, it would put the option on the screen for the person to play it. When the person is done, they can save onto the memory card and exit the game. The person can then take the disc out of the PS2, and the game would already be saved onto the HDD. Next time the system is turned on, it will list the different program options it has stored on the HDD, similar to how it displays save games on a memory card. This means that rather than the game deleting itself and so when you boot the PS2 again it doesnt require the game to re-copy onto the HDD. If this isn't clear let me know, it was kinda hard to explain

hardwarehacking7

That's actually a very good idea. The only problem is that's not how the ps2 normally works, it would take something like the action replay on the psp, where you toggled it in and off before entering the game, but instead of cheat codes, it access a ps2 iso launcher to trick the system into thinking it's running a disk.

classic1969

That was what I was thinking too, which is why I modified the original reply including the original HDD idea to involve the two redesign ideas which are a bit easier to do with less programming.

hardwarehacking7

It's possible, but if that launcher doesn't exist then you would need to write one. Probably in C, C++, or C#.

It would be easier is someone knows python and can compile it in a compatible C language, as it's powerful fir writing scripts.

The logic of it is different from other programing languages though, so...

classic1969

Yeah, I don't know. I think the best options would either to have essentially a PS2 Laptop so it doesn't move around that much when in use (the controller would be connected to it just like a normal PS2) and doesn't require any HDD trickery; and a normal portable like in the first place but have the disc drive and possibly extra ports that don't fit on the handheld like another controller port that's connected to the handheld via a 6ft cable. This would also mean the handheld can be much more compact, as the disc drive takes up pretty much half the space in a PS2 slim, meaning it would be easier to hold. The only downside is you probably couldn't use it while standing up with no spots to place the drive, but the only time you'd really be able to stand up and wait without having a nearby table or bench is in line or in the middle of nowhere. Besides, I wouldn't recommend taking a PS2 handheld with you in line regardless because of the world we live in.

classic1969

So if we instead do either a PS2 Slim laptop with a possible keyboard, the controller part being external like on a normal PS2 slim, or a handheld with external disc drive connected via 6ft cable which could also have some ports that don't fit on the handheld itself, do you think this project is possible? Both of those options make it so disc skipping would be much less common and the only major costs are the keyboard (if included) and the screen, as well as shipping, which would probably lay around between 100-150 USD.

hardwarehacking7

As for the battery thing, see if you can find a compatible wireless controller and print something to extend the case so you can put in a rechargeable battery pack from an off brand controller. I remember the 360 controllers had a removable rechargeable pack that was sold separately as an accessory, the problem was first Gen, because if you charged it through a wired connection it thought It was a wired controller, but if you charged it externally that wasn't an issue. So avoid 1St Gen Xbox 360 controllers for modding a wireless ps2 controller.

Or you can buy a cellphone battery and sodering a connection on to a custom printed core for the ps2 contoller, then charge it micro USB, which some loose micro USB ports have pins, so you can direct solder, with the thin solder.

1 of 1 people found this helpful