2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2017 12:08 AM by jw0752

I need help to make circuit boards just by thinking about them.

blood_hound

When I look at the electronic components I just see a whole bunch of parts and don't know how to make anyting. I know what most of the components are and what they do, but I can't just put them together to make a circuit. If anyone has any tips PLEASE reply asap, I'm only 14 and desperate for this topic.

• Re: I need help to make circuit boards just by thinking about them.
          rachaelp

Hello!

They key to coming up with an idea for a a circuit to make is to focus on something you are interested in and think about how you could apply some sort of technology to assist in that area. Then once you have an idea for something you might like to make, take a look around and see what other people have done to find out if there are any established circuit designs which you could use as a basis for your project.

If you are really new to designing electronics and don't have any experience, there are lots of websites with basic circuits to explain the foundational concepts. Grab yourself a kit of sample parts like an Arduino kit with an LCD, sensors, switches, motors, etc am just experiment with putting stuff together and learning how to drive things. Once you get a few things working you'll get ideas for other things and you can build up to more complicated projects as you learn and get more confidence.

Best Regards,

Rachael

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • Re: I need help to make circuit boards just by thinking about them.
            jw0752

Hi Slayton,

Start with simple components, batteries, switches, relays and LEDs. Make a circuit that will turn an LED on and off. Now try to make a circuit where you can turn an LED on and off from two different switches. Try using the switches to control relays that turn the LEDs on and off. Try to make a circuit where a switch turns on a relay but can't turn it off. Then add a second switch that will turn off the relay. Try to come up with challenges and new configurations. Can you make a circuit where you can turn an LED on and off from 3 positions? Don't forget to put a resistor in series with the LED so that the current can't exceed the current rating of the LED.

Very few circuits are original designs. You can look around as Rachael recommends and find simple circuits that you can combine to make more complex things.

A while back shabaz recommended an on line book called 50 555 Circuits to me or someone else. If you have a 555 timer and a few other components you can spend weeks of fun just trying all the combinations. I will leave a link. Do not think of these small circuits as ends in themselves but rather as potential parts to future things that you may build. Little by little the ideas will come.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/50%20-%20555%20Circuits/50%20-%20555%20Circuits.html

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful