11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 12:47 PM by rarndt

Eagle 8.5.1 Air Wire Errors

rarndt

With Eagle 8.5.1 I have air wire errors that I can not figure out how to correct (see attached).  I am modifying a PWB created in previous Eagle version, by adding one tri-color LED.  Both pins 1 (Din) and 2 (VCC) of the LED show air wires, and it is so small that I can't zoom in to see it.  Pin 3 (GND) routes fine to the GND polygon.  I have tried re-routing these two lines many times, with exact same results.  This LED is the only thing I have added to this board using Eagle 8.5.1.  Guidance please.

• Re: Eagle 8.5.1 Air Wire Errors
          CadSoft Guest

On 31/12/2017 4:28 a.m., Richard Arndt wrote:

With Eagle 8.5.1 I have air wire errors that I can not figure out how to correct (see attached).  I am modifying a PWB create in previous Eagle version, by adding one tri-color LED.  Both pins 1 (Din) and 2 (VCC) of the LED show air wires, and it is so small that I can't zoom in to see it.  Pin 3 (GND) routes fine to the GND polygon.  I have tried re-routing these two lines many times, with exact same results.  Guidance please.

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/232872

Attachments:

airwire.PNG

Hi Richard

I suggest that you open the schematic and move the led and observe if

the nets remain attached to the pins. Doing this could show up nets that

are not connected to the pins. If that looks OK, next run a ERC check to

see if that reveals any clues. Not likely as airwires seem to be present

and so Eagle believes an airwire is justified between two points.

Next, back on the board, move the LED ( you may care to record its XY

location so you can return it to the current location later.

When the led is moved do the routed traces at the pins move with the

led? If not another question arises, did you use the ROUTE command to

add the traces  which will snap to pads and airwire ends or use the WIRE

command which wont snap to airwire ends and so you can be left with tiny

airwires?

With the LED moved, run the DRC, Hope fully the airwires may be larger

now and then you will be able to get INFORMATION (net name) from them.

Then I would try to pick them up with a route command. CliCk ROUTE and

then click on the end of the airwire. Then drag out a route to somewhere

convenient so you can then learn something about the signal name of the

airwire.

I assume this is a double sided board. Check you have the layers defined

correctly in the DRC.

Questions: Is the schematic and Board consistent?

HTH

Warren

--

... use NNTP://news.cadsoft.de and a functional news reader like

Thunderbird!

---

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

https://www.avast.com/antivirus

dukepro

On 12/30/2017 10:28 AM, Richard Arndt wrote:

With Eagle 8.5.1 I have air wire errors that I can not figure out how to correct (see attached).  I am modifying a PWB create in previous Eagle version, by adding one tri-color LED.  Both pins 1 (Din) and 2 (VCC) of the LED show air wires, and it is so small that I can't zoom in to see it.  Pin 3 (GND) routes fine to the GND polygon.  I have tried re-routing these two lines many times, with exact same results.  Guidance please.

--

To view any images and attachments in this post, visit:

https://www.element14.com/community/message/232872

Attachments:

airwire.PNG

Richard,

From the board layout editor, go to Options -> Set -> Misc and set the

Catch factor to 0.

Then, start a route (Edit -> Route), and click anywhere in the layout

editor.  The nearest air wire will start to route.  Move the cursor

around and zoom in and out to locate the air wire.

By setting the catch factor to zero, the Route function will pick the

nearest air wire without limitations on how far that air wire is from

the click location.

Hope this helps,

- Chuck

rachaelp

Hi Richard, This was reported on the main Autodesk EAGLE forums just before Christmas. They've identified the cause now I believe and it'll be fixed ASAP.

Hi Chuck, in EAGLE v8 (not sure the specific version it became available), you don't need that catch factor trick anymore as airwires have a section in DRC so you can find them easily by clicking on them in there.

Best Regards,

Rachael

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  dukepro

On 01/02/2018 10:13 AM, rachaelp wrote:

Hi Chuck, in EAGLE v8 (not sure the specific version it became available), you don't need that catch factor trick anymore as airwires have a section in DRC so you can find them easily by clicking on them in there.

Well, THAT's an improvement.  I've manufactured at least one design that

still had an air wire.  I hope the didn't remove existing functionality.

I guess it's time for me to retire from the news groups into reclusion,

where the only company I have is v7.

Sayonara,

- Chuck

rachaelp

Hi Chuck,

dukepro  wrote:

Well, THAT's an improvement.  I've manufactured at least one design that still had an air wire.  I hope they didn't remove existing functionality.

Nope, the existing functionality is still there :-)

dukepro  wrote:

I guess it's time for me to retire from the news groups into reclusion, where the only company I have is v7.

No!!!! Still lots of v7 and earlier users and a lot of your expertise is still very relevant for v8 issues! Definitely not anywhere near time for you to retire from here

You should give a recent freeware version of v8 a try if you haven't already. They now have Push&Shove and also integrated SPICE simulation. It's improving a lot.

Best Regards,

Rachael

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          dukepro

On 01/02/2018 06:06 PM, rachaelp wrote:

wrote:

I guess it's time for me to retire from the news groups into reclusion, where the only company I have is v7.

No!!!! Still lots of v7 and earlier users and a lot of your expertise is still very relevant for v8 issues! Definitely not anywhere near time for you to retire from here

You should give a recent freeware version of v8 a try if you haven't already. They now have Push&Shove and also integrated SPICE simulation. It's improving a lot.

Sounds nice.  However, until they provide a perpetual license, and time

I spend exploring v8 is a waste.  Much of the work I do is on a secured

network, and I can't be plugging machines into the Internet just so that

Eagle can phone home - whether it's once every 14 days, or once a year. 

Can't do it.

I expressed to Jorge some time ago my position.  Many of the new

features in v8 are very attractive to me, and I would love to explore

them.  But until the licensing issue is fixed to our satisfaction, it's

pointless.  Right now, I think that Autodesk will never provide this

option, which means that when the time comes that our needs dictate more

functionality than what v7 has to offer, I will have to exclude v8 from

the qualification process.

'nuf of that whiney license stuff.

As far as hanging around, I'll continue to monitor the newsgroups until

Autodesk retires them.  Since they would rather steer their users to the

web with all the non-Autodesk crap that gets loaded, the NNTP servers

probably won't be around much longer.

What a bleak outlook.  This sucks, doesn't it?

CadSoft Guest

Am 02.01.2018 um 23:26 schrieb Chuck Huber:

On 01/02/2018 10:13 AM, rachaelp wrote:

Well, THAT's an improvement.  I've manufactured at least one design that

still had an air wire.  I hope the didn't remove existing functionality.

I guess it's time for me to retire from the news groups into reclusion,

where the only company I have is v7.

Sayonara,

- Chuck

Hi Chuck I am on V6 and stay there.

Stay here your valuable advices are always welcome.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

Joern Paschedag

rachaelp

As a follow up, Autodesk have released a bug fix release 8.5.2 which can be found here.

This release fixes the known airwire issue and also an issue with incorrectly highlighting nets and showing them on other pages when adding to an existing net.

Best Regards,

Rachael