15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2020 3:32 AM by diond31

Moving tab to new window is not working?

jaxxs

Hello

First post here.

So I was once able to open a tab into a new window, have that window on another monitor and I could simple drag tabs from the main window to the new window.

I can no longer do this and I have to open each tab into it's own window. The drag icon suggests that it should be able but on release...nothing?

I'm not sure if it's due to a windows 10 Update as the current CS version was working but is no longer working?

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers,

Mark

• Re: Moving tab to new window is not working?

Hi Mark and welcome to the CircuitStudio forums. I'm using Windows 7 and the multi-monitor support is working fine for me, there is no need to already have a second window opened, I can just drag a document tab onto another monitor (into any empty space on the desktop) and it will launch CircuitStudio on that monitor and host the dragged document. Dragging a tab to a second already opened CircuitStudio works fine too, have you tried dropping onto different areas of the CS window just in case it makes any difference?

mars01

Hi,

I have windows 10 x64 with latest updates. The reported behavior is happening to me also on two different computers.

If  I drag the CS tab from the primary monitor into a second monitor space it will not create a new instance of the CIrcuitStudio to host the new tab.

If I right click on the tab and then click on "Open in a new window" option then the tab is opened into a new instance of CS, as desired.

Now, if I try to redock the tab from the second instance of CS to the first instance of CS, it will not comply and it will stay in the second instance of CS. As a result in the primary instance of CS (the original one) in the place were the tab should be redocked (the last position on the tab bar) a black bar will appear, like in the attachment.

More than this, the tabs on the original instance of CS can't be reordered. As an example, I can't drag a tab from first position to the last and so on. It doesn't matter if I have only one instance of CS or two.

Peter, you can reproduce this issue by trying to use the software on Windows 10 x64 with all updates. Trying to drag the tab in any part of the monitor space doesn't change the reported behavior.

LE: As a second thought, I looked and there is no mention in the System Requirements of CircuitStudio that Windows 10 is supported.

There is only:

"Below are the recommended and minimum system requirements to install and run CircuitStudio.

Recommended System Requirements

• Windows 7 or Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)

"

Should we assume that Windows 10 is not supported?

Thanks for the extra info, I have passed on to Altium to ask their technical people to check if latest Win 10 has broken something. If anyone else on the forums has started experiencing the same after it was working then please post so that we can see if this is a general problem or not.

Windows 10 is supported, the last 1.4.1 release included several fixes to improve compatibility with Win 10 to keep up with the changes that Microsoft keep making to the platform. This could be just another case of Microsoft making breaking changes to some of their APIs.

Just to update everyone that it appears possible the latest Windows 10 version 1709 update may cause issues with CircuitStudio multi-monitor support but is still under investigation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          bugrobotics

e14softwareuk  wrote:

Just to update everyone that it appears possible the latest Windows 10 version 1709 update may cause issues with CircuitStudio multi-monitor support but is still under investigation.

I have close to 40 programs installed on my Windows 10 machine and none of them have issues like CS.  CS caused my first BSOD in 7 years!  The reason for this comment is that it appears as though blame continues to be placed on Windows 10 when the problem is most likely the way that CS is built.  Other programs (Solidworks/Fusion 360/ Photoshop/Draftsight/Simplify3D/HSMWorks/GWizard/etc) work just fine through these updates.

If I am way off base I'd welcome a technical explanation.  This sort of comment can't make potential buyers or current maintenance subscribers comfortable and certainly pushes me away from renewing maintenance.

You must be quite lucky, just take a look at at this article where a well known CAD vendor recommends not to install the latest Win 10.

bugrobotics

Ill preface my response by saying I know you have nothing to do with all of this, you're just doing your job and I mean no disrespect.

Pointing to another developer who has the same issues is like saying "See, they have an inferior platform too" (I use a few different Autodesk products regularly, on Win/Mac, without issue).  Something is causing all the issues with CS. There have been many documented on this forum, big and small.  The blue screen is probably the most severe with all of the minor issues like the vault windows, people not being able to access licenses, etc being less important. The software seems to be an afterthought and quickly thrown together.

All software has issues, especially in the beginning. The issue I have is the response, or lack of response, by Altium.  The whole setup for the support is strange.  The lack of a roadmap for the updates/planned changes is bizarre.  I may stand on my own on this but something about the situation doesn't feel right.

tarribred61

I have Win10 build 1709 and it is working for me.  I use a laptop with 2 extra external monitors for a total of 3.  I tested opening up some of the tabs on another window and then putting moving tabs between the windows.

I'm not saying it doesn't work but it is at least working for some of us.  That may make it difficult to debug for them.

When I drag a tab I get a little black bar that show where it will go if I drop it. (screen shot below).  When I release it will drop as expected.

jaxxs

I'm using Windows10 (Home) build 1709, so I guess this further complicates things?

I get the same feedback as you have posted, just no tab is shown when it's dropped but the solid black line remains?

mars01

Hi Thomas,

To be precise, my Windows 10 x64 version is 1709 (OS build 16299.125).

I tried to replicate the issue (both of them actually) on two different notebooks and one desktop and seen it (them) in each case.

None is an new system but since they work I use them.

All three have the Windows version from above.

About hardware.

First notebook: Core i7 1st gen,q740, 12GB RAM DDR1066, 256GB SSD, Geforce GT330M (driver 342.01)

Second notebook: Core i5 1st gen i540m, 10GB RAM DDR1066, 256GB SSD, ATI/AMD FireGL 7740 (latest DELL driver)

Desktop: Core2Quad 9xxx   ,4GB RAM DDR1066, 128GB SSD, Nvidia Geforce 275 (latest driver, whatever is on windows update).

One thing that I've observed is that in a random way, but very rarely, if you just try and try to undock/dock that tab to/from second monitor, it works. The tab will be in the intended place. But it is just an singular success because after that it doesn't work anymore for who knows how many new trials.

I think that one success (not assured) out of tens of trials is not significant.

It's like you have to hit a very very very specific spot on the ribbon (I mean pixels) ... or meet very tight restrictions (whatever they are).

jaxxs

Yep I can agree with Marius. If you try it 3 or 4 times, sometimes more, it eventually moves across.

What does that suggest?

jaxxs

OK so in order for me to achieve what was once working, I now have to drag and drop the tab as quick as  I can. Any delay releasing the tab will fail.

It works for me 100% of the time as long as I'm fast enough.

tomekszym

I've got exacly that same problem in AD17 since I updated system to Windows 10. In older version: AD14 there isn1t taht problem.  Did you find a solution.

diond31

I've having the same exact problem.  CS was working great on Windows 7.  I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and now I'm also suffering with CS tabs not moving easily.  I can rearrange them, but I have to drag them several (2, 3, maybe 4) times quickly to get the tab to stick to its new position.  The very sad bit is; its been over TWO YEARS since the original post and nothing has been done to solve this problem by Altium (they seem to have the problem in their flagship AD product too).  ALTIUM - Solution Please!!!