41 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 9:15 AM by jw0752

element14 Party

dougw

Who wants an element14 party? me

Where should it be?

• Leeds
      • Chicago

When should it occur?

• Summer 2019 (people need time to plan)

It seems whenever a couple of element14 members get together, they have a good time, so why not try to see if we can get half a dozen to show up at the same place at the same time?

Possible agenda items:

• introduce the element14 staff
      • take a quick tour of Farnell
      • have one or two members present a project they worked on
      • discuss element14 then and now and to come
      • check out a local pub (this could be the whole agenda)

The event could be webcast or even interactive.

There could even be a special technical contest to win a trip to the event and present your project. (hint, hint)

Please discuss availability, schedule, location and agenda items in the comments below...

• Re: element14 Party
          jw0752

There is a fair contingent of element 14 staff in Chicago. I tried to visit them one time but the guard in the lobby of the building would not let me go up to their offices and we were not able to get anyone to answer the telephone. This was before most of the current staff was there.

I vote for Chicago. It is a really great city to visit with lots of things to do. An element 14 convention would be a great pretext for a Chicago Vacation.

Chicago 2019

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            genebren

Interesting concept.  There would have to be satellite meetings in other countries so all of the members would feel included.

bfienup

I'll volunteer to host the party at mHUB.  It's an incubator for hardware product development: https://mhubchicago.com/

If the party is small we can use a classroom space, if it's large we can use the event space. 

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                rsc

I’m about 100 miles from Chicago, but the drive is never “fun”

Scott

e14phil

I know all the good bars and food spots in Leeds!  That's my only contribution. haha :-D

neilk

Leeds for me! Chicago is just too far.

Neil

dwinhold

Either location would be great, haven't had a big holiday in years. dougw Doug has a great idea, I would think Element14/Farnell will participate in the "Element14 Con : 2019 - Maybe 1st Annual Members Convention". Even if Element14/Farnell couldn't participate, it doesn't mean we can't still have a convention for ourselves. Another destination that would be great fun for everyone would be the 2019 CES in Las Vegas (Just a thought).

Dale W

gecoz

Would be great to meet up. As much I would love to spend a few days in Chicago, Leeds is only about an hour drive from me, so it gets my vote.

Fabio.

DAB

I like the idea of a get together, but I would rather hit an interesting place like Yellowstone so the families would have interesting things to do while we all geek out.

Given the distances involved, how about Bermuda?  It would be about midway between Chicago and Leeds and give us all an interesting place to visit on neutral ground.

DAB

beacon_dave

About 55miles from Leeds here, but it's probably quicker to fly to Chicago than to sit in a traffic jam on the way to Leeds !

the-dubster

What? No choice for Vegas in May of this year? (Guess where I'm off in May).

Alternatively we could all go to where I spent 9 months of my military service. It's a ridiculous distance for both sides of the pond (but technically drivable most of the way for one).  The delightful Falkland Islands!!

Or Leeds would be fine I guess.

mcb1

Great idea.

Been to Leeds (great tour BTW) but the weather in England is ....

Chicago sounds like a great place ... and I could do lots of other shopping in the USA as well.

Mark

tariq.ahmad

Our office in downtown Chicago is close to what we still lovingly refer to as the "Sears Tower" even though outsiders call it something else... 

We're located along the Chicago river where there are great architectural boat tours of the city that I could see you guys really enjoying.

There's also this really nice gathering place that's opened in the lobby of our office:

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/7/20/16005390/little-toasted-riverside-chicago-river-coffee-whisky-slightly-photos-images

Someone over on the team in Leeds mentioned that if there was ever a good time for the Leeds and Chicago offices to meet together under the same roof it would be something like this and I totally agree!

Not saying it would happen, but it's a nice thought.

dixonselvan

dougw  wrote:

The event could be webcast or even interactive.

There could even be a special technical contest to win a trip to the event and present your project. (hint, hint)

These are some nice options which I would vote for, as both the location mentioned are far from my place!

ntewinkel

Now if element14 could just strike a RoadTest deal with Boom, and get them to pick all of us up at our nearest airports and whisk us off to Hawaii or something...

https://boomsupersonic.com/

jackhottub

AUSTIN,TEXAS!! My place. Plenty of room and tons of gadget!!

dkibbey

Hi,

I have been watching this post.  I really love the idea of bringing our members together and the idea of sponsoring one in Leeds and one in Chicago.  And thanks MHub for offering to host the Chicago event.  Would be way cooler than our offices! At the same time - doing it at a major conference might work.  Not sure if there are any that are regularly attended.  Any thoughts on that?

Dianne

dougw

A pretty big trade show like Embedded World attracts about 30,000 attendees, the vast majority of travel expenses being paid for by companies, so definitely there would be a significantly higher potential turnout to an element14 party at such an event, and it could even be used for recruitment into the forum. However the logistics would probably dictate something like a 3 hour evening party without much discourse. When I went there and presented my element14 project, I had a great time and met some members, but the whole trip was sponsored by Cypress Semiconductor and coordinated with element14.

I didn't get to see as much of Nuremberg (it is an interesting place) as I would have liked, but I at least got to see some of it.

My better half has a special interest in Leeds, so at this point I would be more interested in spending a week exploring the Leeds area with her, and a day interacting with element14 members.

This was taken during the award ceremony at Embedded World - just before they broke out a large quantity of Champagne for the audience.

Maybe Embedded World as well as Leeds....find out which is better by having fun with both, or move the venue every year.

mcb1

I really love the idea of bringing our members together and the idea of sponsoring one in Leeds and one in Chicago.

That sounds like a great idea which would cater for even more members.

It would make sense for the meeting to combined with something else, possibly a element14 Makers meet, and obviously element14 vendors/suppliers might want to assist by showcasing their products.

It would be nice to have something where we can meet the staff and get to know the members a little better.

shabaz and I enjoyed the face to face at Leeds in 2015, so the thought of repeating it at Chicago interests me.

Obviously there is some travel involved for those not residing in either England or USA, so deciding/picking a date needs to happen without too much delay, and I presume we're not going to chance the US winter weather, which means mid 2018.

If I recall dougw had some influence on a TShirt design, so repeating that for a logo to use on merchandise would be great.

I'll need to add some more miles to the Water Bottle The Travels of a Water Bottle #1  and The Travels of a Water Bottle #2 .

The backpack is starting to show some wear as it gets taken on holidays all the time.

Cheers

Mark

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                ciorga

Party in Chicago would be great! I look forward to meeting you all!

One additional thought: how about adding a bit of "conference/trade show" style event - we may have a few sessions where E14 members can showcase their projects.

Cosmin

jw0752

Hi Cosmin,

I like your idea. If a Chicago meet can be arranged I will be there too.

John

DAB

I like your idea, I am assuming the element14 would hold a sort of members appreciation day.

It would be a wonderful photo opportunity, especially if we can get a number of members to attend.

Chicago is easy enough for me to get to depending upon the dates of the event.

DAB

ciorga

Thank you DAB.  Building more on top of my initial thought of conference/showcase format I think we have brilliant members with brilliant ideas that have been expressed in various design challenge projects along the years, and we can have very interesting presentations and practical demonstrations.  Our innovating projects may be a great source of inspiration for a lot of people.  I am sure some of the product vendors would be interested in sponsoring an event like this and we may have both members and non-members registering to attend this event.  (... maybe I got some inspiration from recently attending and presenting at DesignCon2018...)

Cosmin

mcb1

Apparently there are direct flights from Auckland to Chicago starting later this year.

It's not fast (15 hrs) but at least it avoids several airports.

Have we had any more confirmation from the team in Newark.?

Mark

jw0752

Hi Mark,

We haven't heard anything more that I know of. It is probably a pretty big job to organize and they might have to put quite a bit of resources in with out really knowing if and how many of us would really show up.

John