11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2018 8:54 AM by luislabmo

IR LEDs for NoIR

noirwave

I connected a couple of Waveshare IR LEDs to the Pi NoIR camera but they are not lighting up.  Is there something I am doing wrong?

• Re: IR LEDs for NoIR
          the48sicks

Sometimes you cant see them light up. maybe take a picture with your camera phone to confirm ?

HTH

Matt

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Yeah, I have been watching through my camera and no lights.  I've even adjusted the light sensitivity screws, one clockwise and the other counterclockwise, and nothing.  I was just wondering if there is something I need to do to make sure that power is actually is being supplied to the IR LEDs.  Does anyone know how I can test the contacts?

luislabmo

If your IR LEDs are connected correctly another thing to consider is whether your Camera has an IR filter, if that is the case, you won't be able to see the IR LEDs with your camera (e.g. this happens with the rear facing camera some of cellphones instead you may need to use the front facing camera to be able to spot for IR leds).

Regards,

Luis

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      beacon_dave

The Pi NoIR camera module shouldn't have the IR filter attached, however worth checking that it is actually a Pi NoIR camera module.

The Pi NoIR gives you everything the regular Camera Module offers, with one difference: it does not employ an infrared filter. (NoIR = NoInfrared.) This means that pictures you take by daylight will look decidedly curious, but it gives you the ability to see in the dark with infrared lighting.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-noir-camera-v2/

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        noirwave

I tested the camera I used with a remote control and it picks up IR light.  Although that may have been a different wavelength.  But I also tested recording in darkness and I do not get any illumination with this setup.

Anyway, I tested the contacts with a multimeter and I am getting no power at all, even though my camera has the metallic contacts (it's this one: New Pi Camera and Pi Camera NoIR V2).

So I guess I will have to hook up the LED light to my battery pack somehow.  Is there an easy way for someone new to this to connect the contacts to USB?

luislabmo

For someone new to soldering, to connect the contacts to a USB power supply (or Battery pack), I suggest these options:

• Get a USB cable, cut the end that won't be connected to the USB power supply (or battery pack), strip the end wires and find the 5V wires with a multi-meter -usually they are black and red-. No soldering is required here but is always nice to tin the tip of the wires for better prototyping-experience.
                              Image result for usb wire stripping
                            • Or get a USB Micro-B or a Mini-B connector breakout, they are very cheap and include straight male-headers. There is little soldering required here but is very simple to do and may be a good learning experience for you.
                            • Or you can go with the connector breakout option and use some minigrabber patch cordminigrabber patch cord, this will help you avoid the soldering part.

Hope this helps.

Luis

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                      beacon_dave

Perhaps you could start by telling us how you are attempting to connect them up (e.g. include a diagram) with a link to the specific  Waveshare part you are attempting to use.

As has been pointed out they are IR so not visible to the naked eye but you should be able to see them using the NOIR camera. Have you observed the correct polarity and is your power supply sufficiently rated to be able to power them ? Some IR modules have an LDR on board so they only turn on if the ambient light falls below a certain level. So if you are testing this in a fully lit room then they may not turn on because of that scenario. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful