36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2018 5:24 PM by fbtjbt

Code for small diy clock kits.

fbtjbt

I've been looking for a project that would be suitable for young Boy Scouts, and have decided that one of these DIY clock kits would be something that even the youngest could put together.

Most of the kits appear to come with an AT89C2051 (they all seem to come with the same pcb as well), so I've also searched out code that the older scouts could program additional AT89C2051s with. I'll reach out to the local university to see if they've got a programmer that we can use, but the boys won't have access to one after we're done making these. I think having a couple extra chips to swap around with different programs would be cool to them.

The clock comes with a standard clock program, but I'm still looking for a simple countdown timer and a simple stopwatch. By "simple" I mean something that I can show the scouts, and explain commented snippets of the code.

The code that I've found has been on forums where the members haven't been active for years, so I can't ask them followup questions.

If anyone could help me out with simplified code for two projects, I would greatly appreciate it. I can reassign pins in the code if the boards end up being pinned slightly different than what is pictured (you never know with these things).

Countdown Timer:

- button1 == cancel timer / cancel buzzer

- button2 == add time to countdown

- button1 held >2sec == enter/exit setup mode.

- button1 in setup mode == toggle buzzer duration between: 60sec / 300sec / 600sec / 9999sec

- button2 in setup mode == toggle button2 "value" between: 30sec / 60sec / 180sec / 240sec / 300sec

Timer counts down in seconds from 9999 - 0 (in base10)

Digits blink at 500ms intervals while <=10sec

Button2 push adds value to current countdown at any time

Buzzer sounds at 500ms interval.

Stopwatch:

- button1 == clear

- button2 == start/pause

- button1 + button2 == switches between hh:mm / mm:ss / ss:ms ("Hr:  " / " :S " / " S:  ")

Time counts up (in base 60)

Time stops at 99:59 (i.e. 99hr:59min / 99min:59sec / 99sec:59ms)

I think there are some good learning opportunities between the two programs. Showing them the code and having them customize values in their code (like the available "values" for button1&2) will help them feel ownership in the project.

TheCustomGeek shared some code for one of his projects, and is what I used as the base for my attempts to make the Countdown Timer and Stopwatch described above. Here's a link Multiplexing for a 7 year old | The Custom Geek

I've attached the code, too, mainly so that the multiplexing can be similar in both projects (easier to explain to the scouts). Using a better method is fine too.  I've removed this, and attached the assembly code that I had initially started with -prior to finding TheCustomGeek's project. We do have access to a C compiler and linker for the 8051s (AT89C2051 included), though.

I'm still muddling through this on my own, but I'm hoping that one (or more) of you would be able to put together some code much faster/better/cleaner than I.

• Re: Code for small diy clock kits.
          shabaz

Hi,

The attached code is for an Arduino, which contains a different microcontroller compared to AT89C2051. The code isn't compatible.

You could rewrite the code for AT89C2051, but you'd almost have to start from scratch, since even the LED display is different, yours appears to have 12 pins, and the one that the Arduino code is for has 16 pins, so yours is multiplexed differently, and that would need to be deciphered too. So, a non-trivial exercise to do this, but possible.

The AT89C2051 is a really ancient chip, so although you'll likely find information on the Internet on how to program it and perhaps some example programs to get you started, personally I don't have any example source code for this microcontroller - I think I maybe briefly used it >10 years ago. Personally I wouldn't advise it, because you'll need to source a programmer and compiler, and most of this is really ancient as mentioned. Better to just have a construction project with it using the pre-programmed chip supplied with the kit perhaps, and have a different project if you want to demonstrate different code.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              fbtjbt

Dangit. I had started this project using code from one of those other groups that I mentioned, but then started looking for other code after a while. TheCustomGeek code was more 'legible' to me, so that's when I pivoted. Here is what I was working with before (see attached txt).

shabaz

That's assembler code, which is likely what you'll need to do for the AT89C2051, unless you can find a C compiler and linker (I have no idea if that is practical for that chip, and it will require some setup concerning the 'memory map').

Very few people program in assembler any more unless they really have to, and the more modern microcontrollers are geared up for C programming. It will take at least half a days effort to decipher the assember listing and code up what you want, and the risk is high that it wouldn't work first time (easier to make mistakes in assembler code than in C code).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      fbtjbt

Fortunately (or maybe Unfortunately) our schools in Alaska still have all this old stuff around, so compiling/programming for the AT89C2051 didn't seem like a bad idea.

Maybe getting help with the code will be harder than I thought, though.

Any help (even the kind that points me in a different direction) is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:   We do have access to a C compiler and linker for the 8051s (AT89C2051 included). Does that make using TheCustomGeek's code easier?

shabaz

It will definitely make your life easier to use the compiler, because as you've noticed too, the assembler listing is very hard to follow (and difficult for young children to follow too).

Regarding re-using the C code: this will still be difficult because the Arduino code has the benefit of using some libraries, that make the code so much easier to write and follow.

With the AT89C2051, those libraries do not exist, so you'll need to go through the AT89C2051 datasheets and any reference manuals, and see how to (say) use the timer hardware module inside the chip. The Arduino code abstracts all that away from the hardware, so that things like time measurement are handled by a high-level function called millis() in that code.

If you wish to use the AT89C2051, there is no choice but to dig into the datasheets, and also to see if you can find any code in C for the AT89C2051 online, so you can reuse bits of it. You can inspect existing code to see how to set up inputs/outputs, and how to enable the timer, and so on.

If you google for "Microcontroller Projects in C for the 8051" by Dogan Ibrahim, it looks like that book will help you (it was written specifically with the AT89C2051 in mind), these were some snippets from the online book preview:

If you're serious about getting up to speed with this microcontroller and developing the code, then I think that book will help, plus of course reading the datasheet to get fanmiliar with the chip.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                              fbtjbt

I pulled the datasheet last night to verify the link settings for the compiler/linker program, and have been getting familiar with the chip.

I'll check our library for that book too (I've placed a hold on other items already).

The assembly code was easy to read output handling, but the C code was easier to read the rest. Pretty interesting stuff. It's just been so long since I did all this, so getting back up to speed has been rough.

Ive searched for timer project code for this chip, but your comment got me thinking about pulling snippets from other types of AT89C2051 projects also. I may be able to find more example code that way.

fbtjbt

Could the ATtiny4313 be swapped in for the AT89C2051 that comes with the clock? (would it work, and would it be easier to program?)

Here's the schematic for the clock:

Here is the pinout of the AT89C2051:

And here is the pinout of the ATtiny2313a/4313:

EDIT: Added Specs for the 4313 -

ATtiny4313 - 8-bit AVR Microcontrollers

Device

Flash

EEPROM

RAM

ATtiny2313A

2K Bytes

128 Bytes

128 Bytes

ATtiny4313

4K Bytes

256 Bytes

256 Bytes

shabaz

From the pinout they could be swapped out, the work effort is probably around the same in terms of coding. The ATtiny is more recent (but still pretty old though) - hard to say for which of these devices you will find more information online.

michaelkellett

The atTiny2313A is a supported product of Atmel/Microchip in current production. It's a way better part than the 8051 based one. Atmel Studio 7 supports it and gives you a free C compiler and debugger. Just for fun I'm down loading it now. If the OP is interested I'm happy to help code this thing. I let my serious paid for AVR compiler license lapse years ago  - it would be fun to play with one again.

MK

6 of 6 people found this helpful
                                              fbtjbt

I'm definitely interested in the help, that would be awesome!

michaelkellett

I had some free Paypal money (from "Have a beer" promotion on Embedded related") so I just ordered 2 of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282484911382?ViewItem=&item=282484911382

I'll try re-hearting one with an atTiny.

MK

fbtjbt

I have received mine, and have started tinkering. How is yours going?

michaelkellett

I have two - I built one the other day and it does run. The instructions for operating it are so utterly dreadful that I can't understand them at all - I managed to set it by random fiddling.

I forgot to order Atmel processors but I did that just now: 1841620 from Farnell (ATtiny4313)

I'll write some code for re-purposing the board as a timer - and post it.

How are you getting on ?

If anyone can translate into English it would be nice

MK

fbtjbt

This guy shows how to set up the original clock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q421PYti3Ic

Ive been messing with code, but i think I need a different programmer for the ATtiny4313... so I've been searching YouTube for How-to vids and checking out their equipment.

fbtjbt

I ordered a different programmer that I saw in a video on youtube. It should be here this weekend/monday. I've modified code for a "multiplexing" clock to (hopefully) work with the pinout of the DIY Clock, so I can try it out once the programmer gets here.

As long as it works, I can start messing with code for the two projects above.

How goes the Countdown Timer?

michaelkellett

My own playing has not gone well - lack of time so zero progress since Feb25th

MK

fbtjbt

The rest of my kit came in, and everything is assembled, so my first attempt is to get the display working with a simple program.

It turns out that the schematic associated with the clock is incorrect. I've updated the schematic below with the display pin numbers to match the PCB layout.

I haven't been able to verify that the segment order is correct, nor if the digit order is correct, because I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it works using sip resistors.

Would you turn OFF the segments by setting the segment pins LOW (and digit pins HIGH) to pull the 5v away from the display?

Then set the digit pin LOW to select the digit, and the segment pin HIGH to divert the 5v back to the segment?

EDIT: I've confirmed a few of the display pinouts (above), so I'd imagine that the rest are correct also.

I've gotten to the point where I can blink the display ONCE (without control over duration) then the display becomes unresponsive.

- Setting the digit pins to HIGH, and the segment pins to LOW disables the display.

- Setting pin0 (digit pin 12) to LOW, and pin10 (segment pin 5 'g') to HIGH gives me a short "-"blink.

- Setting pins 0, 1, 4 & 8 (digit pins 12, 9, 8 & 6) to LOW, and pin10 (segment pin 5 'g') to HIGH gives me a short "----"blink.

I still don't fully understand how to drive the display when using pull-up resistors on the segment pins.

Am I right in that HIGH=SOURCE and LOW=SINK?

Or do you need to use LOW to SINK (divert power), then "FLOAT" the segment pins to allow the LED to pull power through the 1K resistor array?

gadget.iom

shabaz  wrote:

From the pinout they could be swapped out, the work effort is probably around the same in terms of coding.

Could it be programmed using the Arduino IDE and an Arduino as the ISP?

michaelkellett

You could possibly program it using the Arduino IDE but why, oh why, would you want to ?

(I didn't spend enough time looking on the web to find if you really can use this atTiny chip as an Arduino but you can use others.)

You can get a proper C compiler and dev tools for free - you'll need to program to the metal to get it work properly (it has almost no RAM) so C is a much better bet.

MK

gadget.iom

The suggestion was inspired by this sentence in the original post:

By "simple" I mean something that I can show the scouts, and explain commented snippets of the code.

I've personally programmed ATTiny85's through this method:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/arjun/programming-attiny85-with-arduino-uno-afb829

Further research shows that somebody has already done it:

http://arduinolearning.com/code/program-attiny2313-arduino.php

The Arduino ecosystem was developed with STEM in mind. It might afford the opportunity for young people to experiment with the code and put their own modified programs onto the board.

shabaz

Hi Paul,

That's interesting, I hadn't realized that the '2313 was usable with Arduino IDE.

As you say, the requirement that young children be able to understand it at least partially, would be good, which is why I was sceptical that one should resurrect assembler code or even old 8051 compilers, and all that goes along with it, like having to answer the awkward questions that all kids will ask if one goes down the 8051 path, like "what does 'sbit' mean?".

That can be eliminated to some extent by hiding it in a different C file and calling simplified functions or to use Arduino as you say, since that has simplified functions. My first C code experience was not Arduino and was using a normal compiler, and so the teacher went that route; hiding anything unnecessary, and we just had to know to include a header and link to a library, and that way we could concentrate on the interesting stuff and not see more complexity than we needed to during that learning phase.

michaelkellett

I guess it depends on what you want to learn/teach.

Lots of kids will be happy to attempt soldering the board together.

Only a few will want to get into why it works - I always think that the ones who will stick with programming are the ones who get cheesed off when teachers, to use Shabaz's example, refuse to explain what 'sbit' means.

To me the Arduino IDE is obfuscation not simplification (but that's just me )

For the OP, the good news is that he can use the atTiny and has a nice choice of options.

MK

fbtjbt

I haven't experimented with Arduino yet, but I see it everywhere.

I've been able to explain C code fairly easily to my younger nephews, but I'm up for learning something new if it will be something these boys will use later on.

mcb1

The Digispark Pro is using the ATtiny167 and this includes a bootloader.

I'm not sure how compatible the two are, but in terms of the ease of use then Arduino with all it's limits and benefits might be a better option.

Mark

fbtjbt

At my nephew's request (one of the Boy Scouts that I will eventually be instructing), I have also started experimenting with ArduinoIDE.

I've simplified the schematic for the boys who are new-to-electronics, and added ArduinoPinNumbers in Blue:

(note that the cathode for dp is digit2, the dp anode lights all segments [making a dim "8"] when digit 1, 3, or 4 cathodes are connected.)

My limited experience leads me to believe that this should blink "-" on digit one, but it doesn't repeat:

int segmentPins[8] = {16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9};    // SEGMENTS A11, F10, B7, E1, D2, C4, G5, DP3

int digitPins[4] = {0, 1, 4, 8};                                        // DIGITS (1)12, (2)9, (3)8, (4)6

void setup() {

for(int i=0; i < 8; i++) {

pinMode(segmentPins[i], OUTPUT);   // SET SEGMENT PINS TO GND:  OUTPUT+LOW = SINK 5V / INPUT=ON

digitalWrite(segmentPins[i], LOW);

}

for(int i=0; i < 4; i++) {

pinMode(digitPins[i], OUTPUT);     // SET DIGIT PINS TO GND: OUTPUT+LOW = ON

digitalWrite(digitPins[i], LOW);

pinMode(digitPins[i], INPUT);        // TURN OFF DIGIT PINS: INPUT=OFF

}

}

void loop() {

//  delay(2000);                       // doesn't blink the segment when this is enabled

pinMode(0, OUTPUT);      // DIGIT1 cathode to GND

pinMode(10, INPUT);       // un-ground SEGMENT 'g' allowing 5v

delay(500);                       // wait a half second

pinMode(10, OUTPUT);   // ground SEGMENT 'g' diverting 5v

pinMode(0, INPUT);         // DIGIT1 cathode to INPUT

delay(500);                       // wait a half second

}

michaelkellett

In your dash blinking loop I think you need a delay between un-grounding and grounding so that the segment has some time on.

MK

fbtjbt

Thanks for catching that. I missed that line while I was typing it here on the forum (now edited to include it).

I started out using the standard 1000ms delay for the on/off, but the led only flashed once for about 250ms then..... nothing.

It doesn't blink at all when I put a delay(2000); at the beginning of the void loop.

jc2048

https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/digital-io/pinmode/

"Notes and Warnings

The analog input pins can be used as digital pins, referred to as A0, A1, etc."

fbtjbt

I was using this as a reference for the 4313 ArduinoIDE pinout:

Am I using the pinMode() incorrectly for this chip?

jc2048

I don't know.

I was just going by the processor pin-out you showed further up. Pin 13 can function as an input to the A/D, so maybe it's treated differently in the same way as would be the case with the analog pins on an Arduino.

I was just suggesting it as something you could try.

mcb1

Am I using the pinMode() incorrectly for this chip?

Short answer NO.

PinMode() sets the function of the pin

Input (floating) or with Pullup or Pulldown

Output either HIGH or LOW

int segmentPins[8] = {16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9};
                                                                                                  // SEGMENTS A11, F10, B7, E1, D2, C4, G5, DP3

int digitPins[4] = {0, 1, 4, 8};                     
                                                                                                  // DIGITS (1)12, (2)9, (3)8, (4)6

void setup() {
                                                                                                       pinMode(segmentPins[i], OUTPUT);   // SET SEGMENT PINS TO GND:  OUTPUT+LOW = SINK 5V / INPUT=ON
                                                                                                       digitalWrite(segmentPins[i], LOW);
                                                                                                    }

for(int i=0; i < 4; i++) {
                                                                                                       pinMode(digitPins[i], OUTPUT);        // SET DIGIT PINS TO GND: OUTPUT+LOW = ON
                                                                                                       digitalWrite(digitPins[i], LOW);
                                                                                                       pinMode(digitPins[i], INPUT);         // TURN OFF DIGIT PINS: INPUT=OFF
                                                                                                    }
                                                                                                  }

void loop() {

//  delay(2000);                   
                                                                                                  // doesn't blink the segment when this is enabled
                                                                                                    pinMode(0, OUTPUT);    // DIGIT1 cathode to GND
                                                                                                    pinMode(10, INPUT);    // un-ground SEGMENT 'g' allowing 5v
                                                                                                    delay(500);            // wait a half second.  
                                                                                                    pinMode(10, OUTPUT);   // ground SEGMENT 'g' diverting 5v
                                                                                                    pinMode(0, INPUT);     // DIGIT1 cathode to INPUT
                                                                                                    delay(500);            // wait a half second
                                                                                                  }

Lines 07 to 11 set the pins to be outputs. These will always be LOW, but it doesn't hurt to do the digitalWrite LOW.

Lines 13 to 17 seem to firstly set the pins to Outputs and write them low, then set them as a floating input.

Since these are the common cathode of the display, they will be an Output, hence line 16 should be removed.

When you get to your loop, you are not setting the state of the pins, you are simply redefining their function.

If you want to illuminate segment g, then you need to set Pin10 to HIGH, and Pin 0 to LOW

hence the loop would look more like this

void loop() {

//  delay(2000);                   
                                                                                                  // doesn't blink the segment when this is enabled
                                                                                                    DigitalWrite(0, LOW);  // DIGIT1 cathode to GND
                                                                                                    DigitalWrite(0, HIGH);   // un-ground SEGMENT 'g' allowing 5v
                                                                                                    delay(500);           // wait a half second.  
                                                                                                    DigitalWrite(0, HIGH);     // DIGIT1 cathode to INPUT
                                                                                                    DigitalWrite(0, LOW);   // ground SEGMENT 'g' diverting 5v
                                                                                                    delay(500);            // wait a half second
                                                                                                  }

This should cause segment g of the end display to blink.

HOWEVER THIS IS IMPORTANT

You have an output supplying current into the segments, so you will need some resistance OR use a diode to simply short out the 5v fed via the 1k resistor.

IMO remove the PR1 and add 1K resistors between the controller pin and the segments.

Mark

BTW you can add code and select the >> and Syntax Highlighting C++ to get it looking like the above

fbtjbt

Thanks for responding! I saw your post as I was getting ready to post more info about the project.

I, too, would have gone a different route with the pcb design if I were doing this from scratch. I'm stuck with PR1 because that's the way the board comes.

I setup a breadboard to mimic the way the DIY Clock display is set up. I didn't have a sip resistor array, so I put 1k resistors from the +rail to the LED/controller.

Yellow is attached to Digit1 cathode,

Green is attached to Digit2 cathode,

Blue is attached to Digit3 cathode,

Reds are attached to Digit4 cathode,

and they are attached to 6 different anodes.

This bit of code works to blink the "segments" (in a charliplexing-sort-of-way) on the breadboard:

//
                                                                                                      //  Common Cathode with Sip Resistors
                                                                                                      //
                                                                                                      //  Created: Mar 26, 2018 4:05 PM
                                                                                                      //  Author: Flibity Jibbet
                                                                                                      //

int segmentPins[8] = {10, 15, 13, 12, 11, 14, 16, 9}; // Map Segment Anodes G5, F10, E1, D2, C4, B7, A11, DP3
                                                                                                      int digitPins[4] = {0, 1, 4, 8}; // Map Digit Cathodes (1)12, (2)9, (3)8, (4)6

void setup() {
                                                                                                        pinMode(5, OUTPUT); // set Buzzer
                                                                                                          digitalWrite(5, HIGH);  //set Buzzer OFF
                                                                                                        pinMode(6, INPUT);  // set LEFT Button
                                                                                                        pinMode(7, INPUT);  // set RIGHT Button
                                                                                                          pinMode(segmentPins[i], OUTPUT);  // sink SEGMENT pin +5v 1Kohm resistor (pin is INPUT on powerup)
                                                                                                        }
                                                                                                      }

void loop() {
                                                                                                        for(int g=0; g < 4; g++) {
                                                                                                          pinMode(digitPins[g], OUTPUT);     // sink DIGIT cathode
                                                                                                          for(int i=0; i < 7; i++) {
                                                                                                            pinMode(segmentPins[i], INPUT);  // float SEGMENT pin
                                                                                                            delay(50);
                                                                                                            pinMode(segmentPins[i], OUTPUT);  // sink SEGMENT pin +5v 1Kohm resistor
                                                                                                          }
                                                                                                          pinMode(digitPins[g], INPUT);      // float DIGIT cathode
                                                                                                        }
                                                                                                      }

I ran into a problem when I put the 4313 back in the DIY Clock, though. It blips the first segment, then appears to crash.

A check over the schematics showed that the DIY Clock has a 10k resistor @ R1, which my breadboard didn't have.

As soon as I removed R1, the code worked! It happily drives the Common Cathode display using Sip resistors.

I seriously can't believe how much time it has taken to reverse engineer this little clock, then to write code that only tests the segments of the display.

Nearly a month of evenings into this project, and I haven't gotten to the "Countdown Timer" or "Stopwatch" programs that I initially posted about...

I can only imagine how much time my Boy Scout leaders spent learning a skill just so that they could teach it to me and the other boys.

Now, on to the next steps.

I'd still love any assistance or pointers on how best to code the two programs in the original post.

WooHoo!!!

michaelkellett

Here (at last) is my code to make the little Chinese board work like a stop watch using an atTiny4313 processor. Only one modification is required to the board (remove the big capacitor connected to pin 1 for reset) because I wanted to be able to use the debugWIRE interface.

I had an Atmel JTAGICEMk2 available so I used that - there are many other debug interfaces you can use, some of them much cheaper.

I used Atmel Studio7 which is  a free download and the code is written in C.

I hope there is enough comment in the code for you to understand how it works - if not them please ask.

The left hand button is a reset and the right hand stops and  starts the stopwatch function. I set the processor fuses to use the 8MHz on chip RC oscillator rather than the external crystal.

There is support for the decimal points in the display driver function but I have not used it in the code.

/*
                                                                                                           * GccApplication1.c
                                                                                                           *
                                                                                                           * Created: 14/02/2018 10:19:38
                                                                                                           * Author : Michael Kellett
                                                                                                           */ 

#include 
                                                                                                          #include 
                                                                                                          #include 
                                                                                                          #include 

// PINS 
                                                                                                              //    1    RES                                        
                                                                                                              //    2    PD0    CC0 HEX DIGIT 0 COMMON CATHODE
                                                                                                              //    3    PD1    CC1 HEX DIGIT 1 COMMON CATHODE
                                                                                                              //    4    PA1 XTAL
                                                                                                              //    5    PA0 XTAL
                                                                                                              //    6    PD2    CC2 HEX DIGIT 2 COMMON CATHODE
                                                                                                              //    7    PD3 SOUNDER
                                                                                                              //    8    PD4 S1
                                                                                                              //    9    PD5    S2
                                                                                                              //    10    GND
                                                                                                              //    11    PD6    CC3 HEX DIGIT 3 COMMON CATHODE
                                                                                                              //    12    PB0    dp ANODE
                                                                                                              //    13    PB1    g ANODE
                                                                                                              //    14    PB2    c ANODE
                                                                                                              //    15    PB3    d ANODE
                                                                                                              //    16    PB4    e ANODE
                                                                                                              //    17    PB5    b ANODE
                                                                                                              //    18    PB6    f ANODE
                                                                                                              //    19    PB7    a ANODE
                                                                                                              //    20    V+ SUPPLY

// The LED display is wired so that the segment anodes are pulled high by resistors and the common cathodes pulled low by PD0,1,2 and 6.
                                                                                                              // To drive the display we select a digit by setting its common cathode port pin to output, low and control segments by setting their port pins to input for on out output, low for off.
                                                                                                              //

// VARIABLES
                                                                                                          const uint8_t digit_select[4] = {1,2,4,64};
                                                                                                          const uint8_t digit_codes[10] = {0xfc,0x24,0xba,0xae,0x66,0xce,0xde,0xa4,0xfe,0xee};
                                                                                                          uint8_t timer[4] = {0,0,0,0};
                                                                                                          uint8_t timer_buf[4] = {0,0,0,0};
                                                                                                          volatile uint32_t debug_counter = 0;
                                                                                                          uint16_t seconds_timer = 0;
                                                                                                          uint16_t second_count = 1000;
                                                                                                          volatile bool new_second = false;
                                                                                                          volatile bool overflow = false;
                                                                                                          volatile bool new_timer = false;
                                                                                                          volatile bool timer_enabled = false;

uint8_t btn_up_time[2] = {0,0};
                                                                                                          volatile bool btn_press[2] = {false,false};

// LOCAL FUNCTION DECLARATIONS

void add_second(void);
                                                                                                          void do_buttons(void);

// LOCAL DEFINITIONS

#define BTN_UP_MIN    20    // button debounce time, must have been released for 20 ms to register a press
                                                                                                          #define S1            0    // reset button on left
                                                                                                          #define S2            1    // stop start button on right

int main(void)
                                                                                                          {

wdt_disable();

DDRB = 0x00;            // this is the default but it doesn't hurt to be sure, all segments as inputs
                                                                                                          DDRD = 0x08;            // sounder as output, all else as inputs
                                                                                                          PORTD = 0x38;            // pull ups on the switch pins activated, sounder off
                                                                                                          PORTB = 0x00;            // all segment drives low (when set as outputs)

TCCR1A = 0;
                                                                                                          TCCR1B = 0x01;            // timer in timer mode, clock full speed
                                                                                                          TIMSK = 0x80;            // mask for overflow is enabled

sei();                    // clear global interrupt mask

while (1)
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              debug_counter++;                // so we can tell if the main loop is running correctly    
                                                                                                              if (btn_press[S1] == true)        // reset button
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  timer_enabled = false;        // if you hit reset timing is over
                                                                                                                  timer[0] = 0;
                                                                                                                  timer[1] = 0;
                                                                                                                  timer[2] = 0;
                                                                                                                  timer[3] = 0;                // count is reset
                                                                                                                  btn_press[S1] = false;
                                                                                                                  new_timer = true;
                                                                                                                  }
                                                                                                              else
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  if (timer_enabled == true)
                                                                                                                      {
                                                                                                                      if (btn_press[S2] == true)
                                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                                          timer_enabled = false;
                                                                                                                          }
                                                                                                                      }
                                                                                                                  else
                                                                                                                      {
                                                                                                                      if (btn_press[S2] == true)
                                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                                          timer_enabled = true;
                                                                                                                          }
                                                                                                                      }
                                                                                                                  }
                                                                                                              btn_press[S2] = false;            // don't to see same press twice

if (new_second == true)
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  new_second = false;
                                                                                                                  add_second();    
                                                                                                                  new_timer = true;            
                                                                                                                  }    
                                                                                                              }

}

void drive_digit(uint8_t digit, uint8_t value, uint8_t dp)
                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                          uint8_t temp;

if (digit > 9) digit = 9;
                                                                                                          if (value > 9) value = 9;
                                                                                                          if (dp > 1) dp = 1;

temp = DDRD;                        // use a temp so there is no intermediate value in DDRD
                                                                                                          temp &= 0xb8 ;                        // set all the digit select DDRD bits to zero
                                                                                                          temp |= digit_select[digit];        // set the digit select DDRD bit for this digit to 1
                                                                                                          DDRD = temp;                        // actually write to the register

DDRB = ~digit_codes[value + dp];    // set any segments to be off as output
                                                                                                          }

ISR(TIMER1_OVF_vect)                // timer interrupt, set for 1ms interrupts
                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                          static uint8_t digit = 0;
                                                                                                          uint8_t i;

TCNT1 = 0xe000;                        // we are using 8MHz clock, this gives us 8192 counts per ms which is close enough
                                                                                                                                              // a really fun exercise is to work out how to calibrate the timing by varying the 
                                                                                                                                              // value loaded into TCNT1

drive_digit(digit, timer_buf[digit], 0);
                                                                                                          digit++;
                                                                                                          digit &= 3;
                                                                                                          if ((digit == 0)&&(new_timer == true))
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  timer_buf[i] = timer[3 - i];        
                                                                                                                  } 
                                                                                                              new_timer = false;
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          if (timer_enabled == true)
                                                                                                              {        
                                                                                                              seconds_timer++;
                                                                                                              if (seconds_timer == second_count)
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  seconds_timer = 0;
                                                                                                                  new_second = true;
                                                                                                                  }
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          do_buttons();
                                                                                                          }

void add_second(void)
                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                          timer[0]++;
                                                                                                          if (timer[0] == 10)    
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              timer[1]++;
                                                                                                              timer[0] = 0;
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          if (timer[1] == 6)
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              timer[2]++;
                                                                                                              timer[1] = 0;
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          if (timer[2] == 10)
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              timer[3]++;
                                                                                                              timer[2] = 0;
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          if (timer[3] == 10)
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              timer[3] = 0;
                                                                                                              overflow = true;
                                                                                                              }
                                                                                                          }

void do_buttons(void)
                                                                                                          {
                                                                                                          uint8_t btn = 0;
                                                                                                          const uint8_t btn_mask[2] = {0x10,0x20};

for(btn = 0; btn < 2; btn++)
                                                                                                              {
                                                                                                              if ((PIND & btn_mask[btn]) == 0)            // if button pressed
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  if (btn_up_time[btn] >= BTN_UP_MIN)
                                                                                                                      {
                                                                                                                      btn_press[btn] = true;
                                                                                                                      }
                                                                                                                  btn_up_time[btn] = 0;
                                                                                                                  }
                                                                                                              else
                                                                                                                  {
                                                                                                                  btn_up_time[btn]++;
                                                                                                                  if (btn_up_time[btn] > BTN_UP_MIN) btn_up_time[btn] = BTN_UP_MIN;
                                                                                                                  }
                                                                                                              }    
                                                                                                          }

The code posting thing obviously doesn't get C !

So here's a file as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i805i4fhuq556kk/main.c?dl=0

MK

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                                                                              fbtjbt

That's awesome, thanks! I like the idea of including the pinout for the IC in a commented section of the code.

I've got the "countdown timer" just about done using ArduinoIDE (as requested by me nephew). Everything works, but I haven't figured

the best way to switch between hh:mm / mm:ss / ss:ms.

- button1 + button2 == switches between hh:mm / mm:ss / ss:ms ("Hr:  " / " :S " / " S:  ")

Otherwise, I think the Programming Merit Badge is a go!

I'm sure these boys will enjoy soldering, programming, and playing with this little DIY clock!

michaelkellett

Where did you get your board ?

MK