4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 1:26 PM by fmarengo

BOM for ordering parts

fmarengo

Dear Sir,

I am using Eagle 7.3.0 and need to buy the components listed in the bill of materials, which was obtained through the BOM.ulp command.

Which command do you recommend in order to obtain a complete list of components? My aim is to reduce the time I spend looking component after component with Newark/Digikey/Element14.

Thanks!

Fernando

• Re: BOM for ordering parts
          dukepro

You should be able to save this as a CSV file from the BOM.ulp.  From

there, you should be able to send the CSV file to a distributor as a

BOM.  I know Mouser offers this.  Not sure about some of the others.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

On 04/12/2018 11:45 AM, Fernando Marengo Rodriguez wrote:

Dear Sir,

I am using Eagle 7.3.0 and need to buy the components listed in the bill of materials, which was obtained through the BOM.ulp command.

Which command do you recommend in order to obtain a complete list of components? My aim is to reduce the time I spend looking component after component with Newark/Digikey/Element14.

Thanks!

Fernando

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Autodesk Guest

On 12/04/18 20:57, Chuck Huber wrote:

Enjoy,

- Chuck

That depends on how well you've set up the BOM ULP database and/or the

names/values/attributes of the parts in your design. But yes, in

principle, the BOM ULP can export a CSV that can be arranged to include

everything you need to upload to Mouser/Farnell/etc.

Dear Sir,

Thanks!

Fernando

dukepro

On 04/13/2018 08:39 AM, Rob Pearce wrote:

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Rob,  You're spot on.

Sometimes I forget how well my setup works.  I combine the device and

package name with the part's value to form an Eagle Key.  This key is

then associated with one or more in-house part numbers.  By the "or

more", I mean that we have multiple parts that have been qualified for a

particular component, for example a "resistor, 1k, 1% 0603".  It's a

freakin' jellybean.  Suffice to say that the Key will identify any of

those qualified parts.  From each of the in-house part numbers, I pull

the manufacturer (MFR) and the manufacturer's part number (MFRPN).  All

this works in one step: "run bom".

Some of the engineers present here (or used to be present), have chosen

to push the part identification into the schematic by assigning

attributes to each device/package in a library that include an internal

part number or even an MFR and MFRPN

When I saw this, I thought it was a pretty good idea.  But rather than

include such attributes in a library, which would mean that every

instance of that part would have the same attributes, I did a bit of

programming in ULP, C, and php to provide a dialog box through which I

could search a server-side database of parts.  With a right-click on a

part in the schematic, a dialog box pops up and uses an HTTP based REST

application to search for the part number in a database.  If a record

from the DB is chosen by the user, then appropriate attributes are

assigned to that instance of the part.  This allows me to differentiate

between a garden variety 10k resistor and a 10k resistor that has a

specific voltage rating or tolerance, or overload capability, or other

special requirement.

With whatever method you choose, the BOM.ulp can be modified to include

the values of attributes in its output.  Attributes indicating MFR and

MFRPN would be what Mouser/Farnell/Digikey would want.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

dukepro

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Rob,  You're spot on.

special requirement.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

dukepro

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Rob,  You're spot on.

special requirement.

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Autodesk Guest

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Dear Sir,

Thanks!

Fernando

Autodesk Guest

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Dear Sir,

Thanks!

Fernando

dukepro

Enjoy,

- Chuck

Dear Sir,

Thanks!

Fernando

fmarengo

Dear all,

Thank you for all your helpful replies. Do you happen to have any useful script for generating the BOM? The BOM.ulp command generates a table quite different from Mouser's requested format, which is like this:
                            Mfr Part Number (Input)    Manufacturer Part Number    Mouser Part Number    Manufacturer Name

The table generated via BOM.ulp looks like this:
                            Qty    Value    Device    Package    Parts    Description    CASE    MANUFACTURER_PART_NUMBER

I know it is possible to modify this table and make it look like Mouser's requested format, but I would like to avoid this boring stage.

Thank you all.

Fernando