2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2018 7:56 PM by persilja

In a CircuitStuido hierarchical multichannel schematic, how to route a signal from a single sheet to a repeated sheet?

persilja

Say that I have a sheet with a controller, and a second sheet that gets replicated as 8 identical channels. The controller outputs a R\E\S\E\T\ signal that should be routed to each individual channel (i.e., a single signal should reset all channels simultaneously).

When I look at the Altium documentation (e.g. https://www.altium.com/documentation/15.1/display/ADES/((Multi-Sheet+and+Multi-Channel+Design))_AD  ), it looks like I should be able to place one wire (as in the example wire 'Effect') from the single sheet to the repeated sheet. However, if I do that in the schematic, and import the changes to the layout, it connects the signal to channel 1, and leaves the other 7 disconnected (and the compilation gives error messages about floating inputs in those channels). By manually editing the net in the layout, I can move the association between the R\E\S\E\T\ signal and channel 1, thereby redirecting it to e.g. channel 4, but then channel 1 gets disconnected, so that's not a viable solution.

I was given a recommendation by someone offline that amounted to 'Repeat'ing the port in the repeated sheet, and breaking the wire between the single sheet and the repeated sheet, and 'splice in' a bus there. Referring back to the same Altium document as above, that would be using something akin to the format they use in their COUT sheet, I believe. However, while I can get the repeated sheet to connect to the bus, the layout insists that the IC in the repeated channel that should receive the reset signal, has that pin floating (for each channel).

The only way I have managed to work around this problem, is by manually connecting the R\E\S\E\T\ signal to eight different wires (which absolutely have to be named R\E\S\E\T\1 .. R\E\S\E\T\8), and use bus entries to collect them into the bus R\E\S\E\T\[1..8], which then can be consumed by the stack of repeated channels.

While this workaround is doable, it feels to me like it's more complicated than it should have to be, especially as the reset signal isn't the only wire that I need to split so that they go to each channel.

Am I missing something, or is this the available solution for this problem?

Thanks!