4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 11:40 AM by jmarkwolf

Updating a footprint on the PCB

jmarkwolf

In v1.4, a PCB footprint could be easily updated by right-clicking on the footprint name in the PcbLib. Apparently this feature has been changed.

Please advise how this works now, in this new version.

• Re: Updating a footprint on the PCB
          e14softwareuk

If you are referring to the ability to right click in the PCB library editor and use the Update PCB function this is still present. Make sure to have your PCB document open.

jmarkwolf

Yes, this is precisely how I used to do it in v1.4. Now, in v1.5 it doesn't work the same for me. See below:

The PcbDoc and library editor are open, but when I right click the 0603 footprint in the library, I get the drop down box with just 4 elements, "Refresh Library, Place, Select Columns, and Edit Footprint". I no longer get the option to "Update PCB" as shown in your pic above.

Please advise.

e14softwareuk

I can see the confusion - different library windows. The one I was using relates to the view of the parts within a library when the library editor is open. The one you include a screenshot of is for selecting a component from a list of libraries from the PCB editor. This does not seem to have changed from v1.4 so could it be simply a matter of confusion between the two very similar library windows?

jmarkwolf

I think I may have discovered the issue:

I found that if I go to "View/Library" and select the part of interest from the resultant drop-down, that I am then able to "Update PCB" by right-clicking the selected foot print. WARNING, don't select "View/Libraries" (plural) or it won't work. Why would there be a "View/Libraries" (plural) and a "View/Library" (singular)?

Now I have a beef.

For nearly 20 years, I have kept all my Altium and Protel libraries in their own custom library projects, and kept them open and located at the top of the Projects panel. This way they were always instantly available and PcbDoc's were instantly updatable by right clicking on a footprint.

I was pleased that Circuit Studio also allowed this. This no longer works, apparently, in CS v1.5. Now, apparently, you must change to a different menu item (View/Library) to access all the library editor options.

I can get use to this if I have to, but it would have been nice if Circuit Studio had included some verbage in the "What's New" information, so that we could be aware.

In the future, kindly give us a heads-up that such changes have been made to the software.

Or better yet, quit screwing with the menus. The ribbon menu is bad enough!