1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 3:38 PM by voltsandjolts

Does CircuitStudio support the concept of a sub-assembly

jaza_tom

I'm wondering if CircuitStudio supports the concept of a sub-assembly.

For example, I have a a footprint made for plugging in a Particle Electron into two 18-position female headers that are aligned and spaced X mm apart.

This "component" is really a sub-assembly of 2 female headers.

Sure I can just assign this "component' the supplier link to a single female header, however when I go to generate a BOM, that's what I will get (an entry for a single female header).  This causes the potential for manufacturing woes.  I need the BOM to list two individual female headers for this part.

Is there a way that CircuitStudio can have multiple distinct "components" assigned to a single footprint?

• Re: Does CircuitStudio support the concept of a sub-assembly
          voltsandjolts

No, I don't think it does.

Maybe you have created a footprint which includes both connectors in the required relative positions to match up with the Particle Electron board and then made a schematic component for it. I understand why you would want to do that - you can't then accidently move the connectors independently on the PCB. However, because there is no concept of part sub-assy it causes the BOM issue you are looking to solve.

I think the best way is just to place the required two connectors on your PCB then 'lock' them in place. They can't be moved accidently and your BOM is correct.

1 of 1 people found this helpful