7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 4:37 PM by tonyshell

Compile warning for multiple net names...

tonyshell

Hi,

I compiled a schematic and I get a warning "Compiler Nets Wire +3.3VDC has multiple names (Power Object +3.3VDC,...Power Object GND).  It's saying that I named the same net with a different name.  So, I thought that, maybe I just copied and pasted and changed a 3.3 to a ground.  I tried deleting the offending nets and placed new ones in place of the old one, selecting power ground for the type of power.  That doesn't fix it!  What am I doing wrong?  Is this anything to worry about?  Thanks in advance.

• Re: Compile warning for multiple net names...
          e14softwareuk

Is this a multi-sheet design? Are you trying to connect power nets off-sheet yourself using ports rather than making use of the automatic power net naming feature set in Document Options : Options : Net Identifier Scope? If using default settings the power nets are global (using power net symbols) and do not need manually wiring up across sheets or hierarchy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tonyshell

It is a multi-sheet design - flat, not hierarchical, only 3 sheets.  I'm just using the power port objects.  I'm not trying to connect them manually, I'm just placing a power port or copying and pasting an existing one.  See the picture for typical use.  Oh, great!  Another problem... now it won't even compile without getting an exception.  It still shows the warnings/errors, so maybe it's OK or I can do a recompile.  The Net Identifier Scope is still on the default setting - I haven't changed it.  Got any ideas?

e14softwareuk

Hi Tony. A quick check - have you copied any online vault parts to create your own symbols? If not and you are still having problems then please feel free to send through the schematic and I will take a quick look on my system - software@element14.com.

tonyshell

Hi Peter, the only symbols I copied were the ones that used to create my own parts were the ones from the "Symbol" button on the Home ribbon bar.  What I'm getting warnings about are the power ports, actually that the wires connected to them.  For the GND power port, it named several dozen wires connected them "+3.3VDC".  How do I change the name of a wire?  Otherwise, I would have to delete and redo several dozen wires and it still might do the same thing.  Thanks in advance.

tonyshell

Hi Peter, I just tried to delete a few wires and then redo them and it still names them as "+3.3VDC", at least that's what it highlights when I double-click the details from the warning message.  So, deleted the GND power port and all wires connected to it, then redid it.  When I recompiled, it gave me the same error and when I double-clicked "Wire +3.3VDC" in the details to highlight what wires were involved, it still highlighted the same wires, including the ones I just redid.  I don't know any way to even view what the net name of a wire is, so I'm assuming that it just named the new wires the same.

I know this is just a warning, not an error, but I'm concerned that this will carry over the PCB part of the design and get the + and GND crossed.  Any help would be appreciated.

e14softwareuk

Hi Tony. Not sure if you are saying you have copied power ports into your own parts. Normally these power ports are added directly to a design from the ribbon bar. The net name given in the property dialog for the power port is reflected in the name shown on the schematic and you should not need to name any net segment connected to such a port. If you have tried using the ports directly and still getting problems then please do consider sending through the design to software@element14.com for me to take a look at.

tonyshell

Hello Peter, sorry for the delayed response, I've had a few other things going on and have been very busy.  I'm not using ports in my parts, only in the schematics.  What I'm saying is that, when I get the compile warning and, when I click on the "Wire +3.3VDC" row in the details, it highlights all the GND ports as if they're connected to a +3.3VDC port... oh, never mind... I just did a double-check and found a +3.3VDC port shorted to a GND port!  It must have happened when I was moving a part (40-pin LCD connector) around.  It sometimes gets confused and puts junctions in if two wires get moved where they cross.  I compiled again and that warning went away.  I'll know the next time to look for that!  Thanks for your help.