3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 4:09 AM by nikodemus

how to add a package to an existing device?

nikodemus

For my PCB I need a MOSFET BUZ11 mounted vertically.

In the libraries I found the BUZ11 but only with a TO220 package mounted horizontally. In the same library there exists a TO220 package for vertical mount, named TO220V, but for a different device. Now I want to add this package type to a new library.

What I tried does not work:

1. generate new library, named BUZ11-hv

2. copy the device BUZ11 from the old library to the new library and save it

3. click the "new" button below the package window and give it the name "V" (new package variant)

4. right click on the new package variant and select "edit package"

5. copy the package TO220V from the old library to the new library; the package for vertical mounting is visible in the new package window

6. select device display and the new package TO220V and connect the pins

7. save

In the library window I can see two packages for the device BUZ11, TO220 and TO220V. But clicking on TO220V shows the old package with horizontal mounting and not the package for vertical mounting copied in step 5.

Now I closed the library window and looked on the library tree in the control panel. Below the new library, BUZ11-hv there are two devices, BUZ11 and BUZ11-HV.

The device BUZ11 now contains two packages, TO220 and TO220V, but the package TO220V looks like TO220!

The device BUZ11-HV ist empty, i.e. no symbol, no package.

What is the correct method to add an existing package?

• Re: how to add a package to an existing device?
          WarrenBrayshaw

Hi

There is a BUZ11 mounted vertically in the Eagle supplied library "transistor-power.lbr"

Hope this helps

Warren

WarrenBrayshaw

Hi again - To answer your initial question:

There are a couple of was to do things and your approach was the more troublesome one. It can be done your way but there was one step you missed.

The device is made up of symbols and packages. If you edit either of those, the device needs to explicitly import the changes. This is akin to making a library change to a package while working on a board. You have to update the library, as the board sees it. That will bring the package changes onto the board.

The same happens for the library package change. You started with the horizontal TO220 and changed it to a Vertical version and saved it. That saved the package but did not update the device. Back in the device editor you need to  go Library > Update and point back to your library that you are making. The package will now be in your new library properly. Its a bit strange because you used the horizontal TO220 and changed it to a vertical TO220. You should have made the package before you used it in a variant.

The better way is:

Open the destination library

Go back to the control panel and locate the TO220 vertical package somewhere.

Right click > Copy to Library

Hey presto! the TO220 vertical package is now in your open library and you can make a package variant with no issues,

HTH
            Warren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                nikodemus

WarrenBrayshaw  wrote:

Hi again - To answer your initial question:

The better way is:

Open the destination library

Go back to the control panel and locate the TO220 vertical package somewhere.

Right click > Copy to Library

Hey presto! the TO220 vertical package is now in your open library and you can make a package variant with no issues,

HTH
                Warren

Hi,

thank you for your tips.

Meanwhile I took your first tip and used the "transistor-power.lbr". And now I'm fighting with routing my board.

But nevertheless, I tried to generate a new device with two packages. There are still open questions:

1) In your tip "The better way" you finally say "the TO220 vertical package is now in your open library and you can make a package variant with no issues". This exactly I tried to do with my steps 3 to 7.

After which of my steps "Update" is necessary?

2) With my method I got a BUZ11 library with two packages. The packages have different names but have the same content.

Now in the device editor I deleted the second package and wanted to add a new one by clicking on the "new" button and selecting the vertical package which really exists in the list of packages in my library.

But then I get the message "the package already exists", and it is not possible to generate the second package.

What is wrong now?