9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2018 1:07 AM by joeaverage

No Visual display of PCB in Editor Window

joeaverage

Hi.

just starting with CircuitStudio. I have a simple multilvibrator schematic per the tutorial. It compiles OK. The PCB info panel suggests that

there is a blank PCB with the components ready to be placed on the board.

The PCB editor window does not show the PCB however. I s there something about my installation that prevents the thumbnail from being

expanded?

Thanks

Craig

• Re: No Visual display of PCB in Editor Window
          adamwebber

Craig,

It appears that the PCB is being covered up by the update window.  Close the window and the PCB should be behind it.  If there are more problems, please further explain but I think that you are just in a learning curve on utilizing the software.  Enjoy!

joeaverage

Hi James,

thanks for your reply.

No That is not correct, the window had been closed. I could provide any number of screen shots where the PCB Editing window

has the remainder of a previously displayed screen but at no time has the PCB Edit screen been displayed underneath it.

For example if I click the Schematic tab the multivibrator schematic displays...as it should. If I then click the PCB tab the tab highlights

as it should but the Editing window retains the existing content, namely the schematic page.

Craig

adamwebber

Let's see a video of what's going on.  It would be much simpler.  I use Icecream Screen Recorder because it's free and it works fairly well.  I started with Altium so the transition to CS was smooth and had a small learning curve.  I'd like to help you solve this issue if I can.  e14 doesn't respond on the weekends.

joeaverage

Hi James,

thanks for your interest and help.

I have viewed, and reviewed the first several of the tutorial videos, they are very well done. They do not address this problem...

that the PCB display is not formed in the Editor Window.

I have attached a quick video of it, the first I have attempted so it may well prove suboptimal in conveying the info to

you. Note that with the Editor Window set to display the PCB document, supposedly, it does not. Note at the same time

at the lower left in the PCB display thumbnail area the blank PCB is displayed as are the components awaiting placement.

Additionally if I Zoom IN or Out the thumbnail changes to reflect the zoom status but at no time does the Editor Window

draw the PCB as indicated in the thumbnail.

Craig

joeaverage

Hi James,

just reviewing the video clip and realize that the last 30-40 secs have been inadvertently attached and relate to a previous attempt

to show the problem, thus the last 30-40 secs of the video clip are best ignored.

Craig

adamwebber

If I'm viewing the video correctly, it appears that when you select the PCB, the SCH remains on your screen.  So the CSPcbDoc is there and attached to the project but you cannot physically view it.  I'm trying to recreate the problem on my PC but I can't.  I think this is an issue that will need to be resolved by the developers.  I'm sorry.  I wish I could help more.

joeaverage

Hi James,

thanks again for your reply.

You have described it correctly , namely that when the PCB document is selected it is not displayed. Whatever had previously been

drawn in Editor Window space remains there. I showed that the schematic diagram remains but could have used other examples.

Indeed I've been experimenting with the Icecream capture program you recommended and if it were onscreen but then I drop

it to the taskbar and bring CircutStudio to the top on my desktop the Editor Window retains the, albeit truncated, screen content of

the Icecream capture program which preceeded it.

But I think the video showed also that there is a thumbnail of what I would expect to see in the Editor Window and for instance using

zoom commands can preview what I would expect. It suggests that CircuitStudio is generating the required screen content but is not

displaying it in the Editor Window. I have reviewed every preference and system setting I can find that may be in any way related

to the Editor Window display without success.

Frustrating....having said that....is not just about any new software frustrating to start with?. I seem to recall EAGLE causing me some grief

when I first started using it for example.

Craig

e14softwareuk

Hi Craig. I have encountered this issue on a couple of other support cases and it seems related to video drivers. Try updating your driver or using a different one and see if the problem goes away. Out of interest what video card are you using?

joeaverage

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply.

All I know is that my laptop has Radeon Graphics, what model I don't know. The laptop itself is several years old and therfore

so will the video card.

When I look at the Device Manager its not listed at all, it seems that the PC has reverted to some standard onboard video.

I can only guess that the video card is faulty and may have been that way a while. I'm not a power user and it would be

possible for me to sail along without realizing that the video card has absented itself.

Either way I will try to repair what I have or replace it. Thanks again.

Craig