3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 10:13 AM by littleben1

BBB+LoRa

littleben1

I'm sure this probably has been covered before but can't seem to find it right now, so my question is, is there a cape for the BBB for Lora connectivity and if not what would be the simplest way to do so?? Thanks in advance

• Re: BBB+LoRa
          littleben1

there's a chance I answered my own question, I think I could go with the microbus cape and then add the LoRa click to give me the setup I'm looking for. Has anybody tried this before, and did it work at decent ranges??

shabaz

Hi Benjamin,

I've not tried it (with BBB), but you're right, one easy way to connect up would be with a mikroe board on the cape. But most LoRa boards just need power and a few wires connected, so even jumper wires could be used with most LoRa boards. The software would have to be written however, but there is example source code for different microcontrollers that could be modified or ported.

Regarding range, it is great in an open area at low data rate. In a built up area normal rules apply, i.e. line of sight helps, antennas help, it may not be very far at all if you're in a building with a lot of metalwork, or if there is no line of sight and there are dense neighborhood areas or buildings around it. Positioned well (e.g. at the top of a building) it could cover large distances in cities too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  littleben1

yeah I live out in the middle of nowhere, I figure when I get the modules I will take the node and drive away from home slowly to see how far it reaches. I'm wanting to use the BBB as the Home Base. Don't really need it to go far for my project but would like to see how far I can get out of it.