18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 12:49 AM by jomoenginer

Beaglebone Blue Bricked

jomoenginer

So, I loaded the latest Debian image for the Beaglebone boards, Debian 9.5 2018-10-07 4GB SD LXQT, and was using this for a short bit, but for some reason after trying to run a QT compiled program via remote ssh the BBBlue froze and will not boot any more.  I powered off the board and when it powers on only the Green and Red LEDS from the status bank stay constantly on and the Battery LEDs flash a bit but then 2 stay on constantly; CHG and the one labeled 75.

I have removed all of the EduMIP connections from the board as well as a n LCD that was connected but still nothing happens.  This board does not have the FTDI connections like the Black so I do not have a way to get a console to it to see if it is locking up somewhere.  

I've tried removing the SD card as well as use a known good one but still no luck. 

This board was running fine for sometime now so I am not sure what happened.  It was not until I loaded the new image that I ran into an issue.

Anyone else run into this issue with the Blue?

• Re: Beaglebone Blue Bricked
          Jan Cumps

I have a Green (from Seeed) - so not the same one as you. Have you tried pushing the User button with the working SD Card inserted, and then providing power?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            shabaz

That's disappointing if the design doesn't have UART console pins : (

I don't have a BB-Blue, but was wondering, does it make any difference if a battery is also connected, as well as the 12V supply? With the original BBB design, if it was modified for battery operation, then the battery needed to be present even if it wasn't charged. Probably the BB-Blue design is different but it could be worth a try. 

jomoenginer

There are a couple of UARTs mapped to JST connections on the Blue.  I'll have to see if I rig a FTDI to JSt connection to one of these to see if there is any console output.

As far as power, I've tried with and without the battery connected while the 12v supply was connected.  I also, tried running with just the battery as well as with just the USB connected.  Each has the same result with the Blue not booting. 

Jan Cumps

if you happen to have a Bus Pirate, it allows to act as a USB / UART passtrough (attention: 3.3 V signals on the TX/RX pins, not RS232 compatible.

If I recall well, you can also turn an MSP432 LaunchPad in a USB to Uart converter by tapping off the pins between debugger and controller section.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  Jan Cumps

I got it working with an MSP432, Jon

I'll write down the instructions. It's easy.

jomoenginer

Yeah!

Jan Cumps

Locate the debug header. I used this website as inspiration.

Ultimate Serial Port

You need:

MSP432 LaunchPad , red or black) and BB

2 USB cables, one for each. Don't plug in yet.

3 female to female jumpers (I only have male to female and used a breadboard as interconnect.

On your MSP432, remove the RXD and TXD jumpers in the middle. Don't worry about the other 4, they can be mounted or removed.

Connect TX to TX, RX to RX. (yes, I thought I needed to swap but it is what it is - edit:because the PCB of the launchpad labels the microcontroller side signals). See schematic. Tap the signals from the debugger side of the LaunchPad

Then connect the MSP432 USB. Check in the Device monitor what port number is assigned to the UART.

Open Putty, create a serial connection.

Here are the settings (use your com port)

Connect.

Nothing shows. That's normal

Now plug in your BeagleBoard. Your putty session is an active UART session into the debug port.

Good luck.

jomoenginer

Cool, but I have a few FDTI to USB cables so the MSP432 is not needed.  Also, this is a BB Blue not a Black which does not have the UART pins broke out like on a Black.  I'll have to try a JST to FTDI to USB connection to see if the console is output on one of the JST UART connections.

Jan Cumps

Good luck. The UART connectors don't all have the same size, it seems.

Jan Cumps

I compared the schematics.

The connector I'm using to capture the debug info is connected to signals UART0_TX and UART0_RX.

On the Blue, these same signals are connected to UT0.

Edit: attention - on the Blue these lines are not buffered. They connect directly to the processor. On the Black there's a buffer in between.

Edit2: I've been playing with the debug session a little.

You have to pres the space bar fairly quick after startup (you have 2 seconds after the prompt) to get into uboot.

? gives the uboot help.

I haven't found the command that forces a linux boot from SD Card ...

jomoenginer

Yeah, thanks, but I got that. I just have not connected to the board yet.

However I doubt there will be much of anything coming out since the LEDs are not going through the normal boot sequence.  Just the RED and GREEN LED stay lit and no others outside of the battery LEDs light up.

The Blue has a button labeled SD which should force a boot from SD card, however I believe the default is to boot from SD card if it is present.

jomoenginer

No luck using the UARTs from the Blue.  There is no data coming from these interfaces in its current state. 

I've posted this on the BeagleBoard Google forum as well but no response as of yet.  I did find another post there with a similar scenario but no resolve was posted so I'm calling it dead. 

Oh, well.

ninjatrent

Hi Jon,

I have a BB Blue but I've never experienced this before.  SSH thru the microusb should work with the default ip 192.168.7.2 or 192.168.6.2 dependent on OS connected to (Linux or Windows).

This doesn't sound good at all. Have you previously flashed an image to the eMMc?

The SD should boot if the SD boot button is depressed after power up or reboot and the eMMC storage should boot if power up or reboot without the SD boot button depressed.

Were any of the overlays changed when the QT compiled program was run? The pattern of the leds can change with certain overlays but the battery charge circuit should still operate regardless of image. Might be incorrect.

Hopefully you will be able find a solution soon. I've noticed some recent issues on the libroboticscape github page. Not sure if those issues are related to these issues but it might be worth checking if a solution is not found.

jomoenginer

The BB Blue was already configured with a previous image and was working fine for the past few months.  I was able to run compiled QT aps and send them to a connected LCD screen without issue.   However, once I moved to the new build and ran the first QT application, the board froze.   None of the USR blue LEDs light which usually indicate the board is on or booting and only the RED and GREEN LEDs stay lit which does not usually happen. There were no overlay changes that I can think of unless the new image brought that in but that should have been see at boot.

I'll see about connecting to a UART and see if any console message are displayed there.

ninjatrent

For some reason this notification was in my Gmail Promotions folder instead of the normal gmail inbox. I almost missed it. This is not the first time this has happened.