6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 1:54 AM by michaelkellett

Would You Be interested in RoadTesting this Half-bridge GaN buck converter evaluation board

rscasny

The EVM on the right is new GaN product that I would like to roadtest. Let me tell you about it and I'd appreciate your thoughts and how you'd like to roadtest it.

The board itself is based on EiceDRIVER™ 1EDN TDI (1EDN8550B or 1EDN7550B), family of single-channel low-side gate drivers with truly differential inputs (TDI).

TDI is intended to overcome driving issues when DC offset (DC GND shift) or AC voltage drops (AC GND shift) are existing between the driver and the MCU ground potentials. Common situations characterized by DC and AC GND shifts are, respectively, the driving of high-side devices and the driving in noisy environments with significant stray inductance on the ground path.

Some Features

• 48V half-bridge buck converter tested up to 60W
      • Integrated section to generate and regulate the DC GND shift
      • Possibility to easily regulate the AC GND shift
      • Possibility to compare the 1EDN TDI and standard low side driver in GND shift situation

A Word about Low side gate drivers │ EiceDRIVER™ 1EDN TDI

The input signal levels of conventional low-side gate driver ICs are referenced to the ground potential of the gate driver IC. If in the application the ground potential of the gate driver IC shifts excessively false triggering of the gate driver IC can occur.

The 1EDN7550 and 1EDN8550 gate driver ICs have truly differential inputs. Their control signal inputs are largely independent from the ground potential. Only the voltage difference between its input contacts is relevant. This prevents false triggering of power MOSFETs.

Here's some documentation

Product Brief / Datasheet

App Note

The supplier is looking for some thoughts on the board. Roadtesting or purely evaluation the board, as well as how you would use it or even ideas for new boards would be welcome.