5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 12:27 AM by reg_mail

Xilinx voucher for Vivado Design Suite

reg_mail

Hi,

When purchasing a PicoZed SDR, are we entitled for a license voucher  to Xilinx Vivado Design Suite?

If not, will the free ISE WebPACK license be suffice to write applications such as receive samples to file or transmit samples from file?

Thanks,

Roy

• Hello Reg_mail,
          jafoste4

Hello Reg_mail,

No, a device locked Vivado license does not come with the purchase of a PicoZed SDR SOM/Development Kit. 

Also, the free ISE WebPack license will not work with the PicoZed SDR SOM. This is because it only supports 7Z000 - 7Z030 Zynq devices when the PicoZed SDR SOM has a 7Z035 Zynq device installed on it.

You will need to look into purchasing a Vivado HL Design Edition License.

--Josh

• Two things to consider -
            pdaderko

Two things to consider -

1) The WebPACK license isn't sufficient to build/modify the Z-7035 FPGA on the PicoZed SDR 2x2, but should work for the Z-7020 used on the PicoZed SDR 1x1.

2) If you do just want to receive and transmit samples to/from files, the pre-built FPGA image could work fine, and you could simply build your software application using the IIO interface on the embedded Linux, or I think you can use it with MATLAB/Simulink as well (running on a PC, using the PicoZed SDR as the radio).  It's certainly more limited than being able to do additional processing in the FPGA, but might work depending on your needs.

Pat

• IIO interface
                reg_mail

Thank you Pat and Josh,

Is there a tutorial on how use the pre-build FPGA image on the PicoZed with the IIO interface?

At the moment I'm only interested in sampling to file or transmitting from file, but without using a host PC with MATLAB, that is, running from the ARM.

Roy

• I'm not aware of any
                pdaderko

I'm not aware of any tutorials, but the stock image boots to the IIO Oscilloscope program, which controls the hardware and can plot signals in the time and frequency domain as well as the constellation.  That program is open source ( https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/iio-oscilloscope ), and would be a good example to look at if you want to build a high level application.

I personally just needed a way to control the hardware (set freq, sample rate, etc) and pull in raw samples to process, so I used the simple low level AD9361-iiostream example ( https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio/blob/master/examples/ad9361-iiostream.c ).  This code, plus some simple mods for file I/O would quickly get you to the point of receiving to a file and transmitting from a file.

Note that you certainly won't be able to pull/push samples to/from the ARM and SD card at the maximum AD9361 sample rate.  I've never tested the limit, but I'd guess that you'd be limited to around 5 MSPS or so without dropping samples (5 MSPS w/ 16-bit I/Q samples would be 20MB/s).

Pat

• Thanks
                  reg_mail

Thanks Pat, I think that the AD9361-iiostream example is what I need.

Roy