11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 1:33 PM by techtest

TI MSP-EXP430

techtest

Hi,

Is there anybody here who is a bit (or more) an expert re programming the launchpad

MSP-EXP430F5529LPMSP-EXP430F5529LP ?

Thank you!

• Re: TI MSP-EXP430
          dougw

That Launchpad can be programmed just like an arduino if it helps you....

There is a little tutorial here:

https://energia.nu/pinmaps/msp-exp430f5529/

5 of 5 people found this helpful
            fmilburn

Hi techtest

I am not an expert but I have used it quite a bit.  If you are using Code Composer Studio and DriverLib I posted examples using the F5529 here.  Texas Instruments provides similar examples using direct register access and as Doug points out Energia works reasonably well on the F5529.  The Texas Instruments E2E forum is full of experts.  What is it you are trying to do or having trouble with?

4 of 5 people found this helpful
              Fred27

The F5529 Launchpad is a nice microcontroller board with USB support. I've used it for a few things and gone on to take one project from F5529-based prototype to F5510-based custom board. I had not problems with it. These are some typical things you can do with it:

Provide a custom USB serial port for communicating with your device

https://0xfred.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/animated-lego-darth-vader-build-monitor/

Create a USB HID device like a keyboard or mouse

https://0xfred.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/nfc-login-version-1-0/

https://0xfred.wordpress.com/2016/03/04/nfc-login-2-1/

I'm not an Arduino/Energia user so I'm not sure if you can make the most of the device from this environment, but CCS (now completely free) is a great IDE for diving more in depth.

I'm fairly familiar with the MSP430 and it's my go-to microcontroller. If you've got any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                jomoenginer

Are you stuck or are you looking for someone to teach how to use this board?

I'm sure there are a number of MSP430 examples on element14 where folks have used some sort of MSP430 board in a project.

The TI website has a number of examples and training material for the MSP line:

https://training.ti.com/search-catalog/field_language/EN?sort=ti_date&order=desc&keywords=MSP430F5529&start%5Bdate%5D=&end%5Bdate%5D=

Have a look at Chris Svec's Embedded Software Engineering 101 blog on Embedded.fm where the MSP-EXP430F5529LPMSP-EXP430F5529LP is featured.

https://www.embedded.fm/blog/ese101

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  techtest

Thank you so much for the hints and tips.

Will go through them step by step.

Yes, I was stuck, because one of the two same MSP430 is broken (connects on/off all the time, and could not load new firmware as the other working one, latter also took an example c program and I was able to run that and read the value from a register in CCS, so first tiny experience gained) and will be replaced.

Have not installed energia yet, (for what) is it better than CCS?

Trying to use the LP to read resistance values from sensor into mobile, hence need the ADC of the LP. Must later get rid of all unnecessary parts, anyone know how to do that?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      Fred27

If one device is misbehaving then I suggest you mark that a suspect and put it to one side. Unless you feel like a challenge then at the price they are it's probably not worth trying to repair it.

I wouldn't recommend Energia if you are capable of using CCS. It's a very cut down development environment and lacks even basic stuff like breakpoints.

I found that when making my own boards that the schematics of the Launchpad was a good starting point.That and the datasheet will give you all you need. Obviously your board can be greatly simplified by leaving off everything related to the debugging side (Labelled eZ-FET lite in this schematic). You will be able to use a Launchpad to program and debug your own board if you have a JTAG/SBW header in place. I'm happy to share my minimal MSP430F5510 design if you feel that would help. It's definitely worth getting everything working on a Launchpad before worrying about a custom board though.

TI Resource Explorer

The Launchpad examples are also really helpful. Here are the ADC examples for the F5529LP.

TI Resource Explorer

You mention "getting a value into mobile". I assume this is over USB. There are other TI Launchpads if you decide that Bluetooth or WiFi may be a better way to transfer the data.

techtest

Thank you so much for this amazing post.

Apologies for not getting back earlier, I was with family since middle Dec til last week, and only now get back to this project.

The faulty device has been exchanged for a working one (tested in CSS with MSP430F55xx_adc_01.c).

Thanks for the hint re Energia/CSS, and the great tips how to make my own board.

It might be necessary/better to ask an expert to do it, since it might take me to much time and still not yield the result needed.

Yes, the USB is for data transfer to mobile and to draw power from it (for simplicity/convenience avoids battery, cables, wifi/bluetooth setup complications).

Again, many thanks for your very helpful post!

Fred27

This is my minimal F5510 implementation. A regulator to get the 5V USB down to 3.3V, some transient suppression on the USB lines, some passives and a programming header. (I had more stuff for a NFC reader but have left those out.)

Minimal MSP430F5510 implementation

techtest

Please somehow get in touch (I could not send a private message to you), if you are interested doing more about it on this project or know someone who could. Thank you.

Fred27

To send PMs we have to both follow each other and then accept the requests. It's a bit long-winded! Feel free to kick the process of if you want to send me a message. I'm more than happy to give you the odd bit of advice on here. However, I can hardly find enough time to work on my own projects so I definitely won't be able to get involved in another one.

By the way, I think that the phone will have to support USB host if it is to connect to a MSP430. Most older phones don't, but this may have improved over the last few years. You are also likely to find that a phone expects power in on the USB port rather than being able to power an external device.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      techtest

Thx, "follow" has been initiated, over to you.

Re USB power from a mobile, when connecting a mini-usb-hub, its LED is powered by the phone at least, though have not measured how much can be drawn, perhaps it is far less than 5V 0.5A.

TTYS