6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2018 2:16 PM by silver2row

BeagleBone Black Wireless Tank Robot

ninjatrent

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions from the community for a project I'm working on.

I need a user friendly software solution for a BeagleBone Black Wireless Robotics platform and

I also need suggestions for a h bridge motor driver with dual motor output pins that can drive my DFRobot Devastator Robot Chassis and work with the chosen software.

It's the same chassis featured in this Pi Devastator Robot video from Explaining Computers on YouTube.

Thanks for your time and participation in this discussion.

Trent

• Re: BeagleBone Black Wireless Tank Robot
          shabaz

Hi Trent,

Interesting robot!

There's a nice Infineon motor controller boardInfineon motor controller board that is configurable (can have connections paralleled for more power). It is an Arduino shield, so would need jumper wiring to a BBB.

I've not used the board, but it looks like it might meet your needs. The user manual is here.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              ninjatrent

Hi Shabaz,

Thanks for sharing this with me.

My apologies for the delayed response. For reasons beyond understanding, the notification of this comment was sorted to the Promotions folder in my Gmail. This issue has me scratching my head. It keeps happening and I'm missing important notifications such as this. I don't receive a notification on my phone for anything that goes into the Promotions folder. If I had not been in the habit of checking that folder, visiting the site would've been the only way to know that someone responded to this discussion. Looks as if I'll be heading over to feedback and support for a solution.

Thanks again Shabaz. I'm going to look over this Infineon board in detail. I had originally intended the use the BeagleBone Blue(has 2 onboard H bridges) but it has been moved to an Ardupilot Quadcopter project (which is on-hold as I attempt to make sense of the calibration process). The devastator chassis was tested and performed exceptionally the Blue. It would still be assigned to this task if I had not watched the video of the Blue as a flight controller.

Little did I realize how much of a challenge it would be. If it wasn't a challenge, everyone would be doing it.

Trent

fmilburn

I have used the Pololu motor drivers on two separate occasions with success.   Most recently with the TI-RSLK which was RoadTested here on e14.   They offer a range of models with different capabilities and are well documented in my experience.

ninjatrent

There has been an interesting development in my search. I found a TI h bridge from an unfinished project and a Fritzing diagram that shows the same h bridge connected to a BeagleBone. This diagram is provided with a tutorial on the Beagleboard site for using the SwiftyBone OS (I don't have a clue about the Swift language...ugh). This h bridge was purchased from Adafruit for around $3US.

I'm feeling a bit foolish. I've completely forgotten an important detail from the BeagleBone Blue Road Test. The Blue's design was inspired from the BB Roboticscape and this BeagleBone Cape is still available for purchase from E14. It's a bit pricey at around $50US but it is a Beagle Cape and it has software support with libroboticscape(this name might have been changed to something else)

Trent

silver2row

Hello,

BeagleBone.org has released some new Capes from GHI. They have a MotorCape, too. You can control four motors and there is a positive (vdd_5v) screw terminal for battery use and a GND. Anyway, I set up something a while back on motors and Flask, Python, HTML, and Bootstrap. It works w/ the motors and can be controlled via web page online. I have not gotten around to performing this idea w/ a controller but I will in time.

Seth

P.S. Here is the link: https://beagleboard.org/capes . There, on that page link, you can find the MotorCape.