1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2019 4:09 PM by dougw

So You've Taken The Polymer Capacitor Quiz. Next Up: What Do You Really Want To Learn About Polymer Caps?

rscasny

Greetings All Polymer Capacitor Quiz Takers!

I enjoyed putting together the Polymer Capacitor Quiz, as much as some of you (I think) enjoyed taking it. I think we both learned something about these little marvels of electronic engineering.

But I think all of us have more to learn about Polymer Capacitors (myself included). element14 presents  is busy putting together some videos on Polymer Capacitors. I am trying to arrange a webinar. And I have some ideas for sponsoring a project with a kit of polymer capacitors, of course!

My question to you is this: Having taken the quiz, what would you really like to know about polymer capacitors that you need to know more about?

Please offer your suggestions in the comments section below.

Randall Scasny

The Polymer Capacitor Dude

• Re: So You've Taken The Polymer Capacitor Quiz. Next Up: What Do You Really Want To Learn About Polymer Caps?
          dougw

I tend to design in such a way that capacitor performance is not critical, but there are a few places where it can't be avoided.

When a capacitor is used as a timing component it needs to have a known value and that value needs to be stable, so I am interested in knowing about stability and accuracy with this technology - over time and temperature.

When a capacitor is used to determine analog filter characteristics, it also needs to have known value and stability. I have been leery of MLCC technology that changes capacitance with voltage - classic filter equations have a problem with that. I am interested in seeing if this technology does better.

I have not yet looked into the kind of Q available with this technology, but losses and ESR become factors in high performance capacitor applications.

Another area I don't yet have a feel for is how footprint size affects voltage and capacitance ratings.

These may have been covered already - they are just things I don't know about polymer caps.

3 of 3 people found this helpful