12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2019 8:51 AM by Dudley Nelson

Android autocorrect not working

Fred27

Maybe not quite a bug as a usability issue. I find that when I'm using this site on my Android phone that autocorrect does not work when posting or replying. A suggestion or spelling correction will pop up but if I click it then the text always gets mangled. I'm going to take a guess that Javascript on the page controls can't keep up with the "fast typing" done by the autocorrect and it gets itself in knots.

• Re: Android autocorrect not working
          lui_gough

Yes, I've experienced this myself and it's quite annoying. By trying to autocorrect, it doesn't seem to show a change but then tapping around or continuing to type, it mangles the text. It happens with Chrome on Android, didn't test any other browser as I don't normally use any other on my phone.

- Gough

Fred27

Have there been any changes here? I don't think I've come across the problem for a while. Maybe it's fixed, or maybe it's just my imagination.

Dudley Nelson

Hey Fred27 ,

This is all entirely news to me, so I'm replying to this one on my phone to see if I have any problems.

The mobile experience varies based on your mobiles capabilities, specifically the screen size. On my phone (Google pixel XL v1), I get the mobile client when holding the phone in portrait, and the desktop site when I turn the phone through 90 degrees.

Use of the keyboard should have no effect on this. Usually if we see mobile keyboard issues, it's due to the screen being resized as the keyboard appears.

I've written all this without any issues. I've read through the discussion again and I'm struggling to understand what I should be looking for, what do you mean by "mangled"?

Can I ask:

What type of mobile you use?

If you are seeing the desktop view or the mobile view (easiest way to tell us to reply and see if the text box you are typing in has toolbar buttons or if the field is plain and had no buttons)

A screen shot would be appreciated if that is possible.

It's also worth noting that Google in particular did an update recently to their keyboard software, it now uses the internet to handle swipe style keyboard entry, and I've noticed that if you're in a place with poor internet, it has problems. If it were down to the keyboard software, you'd notice the issue everywhere and on every site, but it's worth mentioning as it could be an exacerbating factor.

lui_gough

As far as the peorpro goes, it only happens on element14. My phone, like yours, is portrait mobile and landscape desktop display (Xiaomi Mi Max 6.4" display.

It just did it as I mistyped the word problem and tapped on it to correct, resulting in a jumble (peorpro). If I go back and edit, things get worse.

lui_gough

Trying in the landscape mode and I will misspell the word tretreated. This correction issue seems only to affect me if it is not the last word typed (going back and correcting prior errors).

Yep, it breaks in desktop view too under Chrome mobile.

- Gough

lui_gough

My details (posting from Desktop) - Xiaomi Mi Max (6.44" 1920x1080 res with dpi modification), Android 7.0/MIUI10) using Gboard keyboard with Chrome Mobile (latest versions on Play Store).

Issue reproduced by typing into box, making a spelling mistake, typing some more letting the spelling mistake highlight with red underline. Tapping on the mis-typed word and selecting the correct word causes a "splice" in the mistyped word where it was tapped and a partial correction resulting in a "jumbled" word. Attempting to delete and correct this results in odd text-mangling behaviour.

Issue does not seem to occur in any other web-app/website I've used including webmail clients where I've had to type much longer responses.

- Gough

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                Dudley Nelson

The instructions you just gave there were golden, lui_gough. I've used that example and reproduced it now on the live site, our test site, and Jive's external facing site.

So it's definitely a core bug, but other than that, I'm not sure what's causing it. I suspect we're looking at a bug in the rich text control we use, which is pretty industry standard.

I'm going to report this to Jive and see what they say. It could well be a while before we get an answer.

I'm not sure what I can do about this in the meantime. This isn't an area of code I'd be confident to pop in a quick fix without causing ten other problems down the line.

Dudley Nelson

I should also document what it's doing to make sure that what I've found is what you're complaining about!

Start by typing "Hellk world,"

Come back and select the word "Hellk". Do not start at the very beginning of the word, instead put the carat into the middle of the word. Here I have it between the E and the first L

Select "Hello". The text before the Carat doesn't change, and the text after the carat is replaced with the word, starting from the carat position.

So because I've entered "Hello", but done it from the second character, it's replaced the "llk" with Hel"

Does this match what you've been seeing? Or am I looking for a different issue?

lui_gough

Yes, that is what I'm talking about and personally experienced but you should try taking it one step further and then trying to manually correct the now mangled word.

Sometimes it suddenly inserts the correct word resulting in an even larger mangle, and on long text entries, I find trying to navigate the carat to a later portion of the text results in text not being entered where you expect it to be. I can't seem to get this to happen anymore but I do remember that happening in the past.

- Gough

Dudley Nelson

I had no problems when trying to correct the mangled word. Or at least, no more problems than I would normally have had

I generally find the android correction of a bad spelling to be pretty poor and invariably when I'm correcting a word, I'm removing the word and replacing it. That could be why I've not found this issue previously (although it also must be said that most of the time I'm on the site, I use a PC and desktop setup).

I'll give it another go tho and see what happens.

Fred27

dudley.nelson and lui_gough You seemed to have nailed down the reproduction of the bug I'm talking about. I'm not surprised that it's down to an editor control used by Jive, which is why I've not brought it up before.