6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2019 3:49 PM by cypsam

Can you setup Capacitive Proximity sensor and Capacitive button at the same time?

cypsam

Hi,

I am using the CY8CKIT-043CY8CKIT-043 PSoC® 4 M-Series Prototyping Kit. What I am trying to achieve is to be able to detect the proximity of a hand and at the same time been able to interact with capacitive buttons.

Getting the proximity part of the project works fine, but been able to turn on and LED by pushing on a CAP sense button does not. I have looked thru the examples and tried different options to get the LED to turn on but to not end.

My first question is can you use both the proximity feature and the cap sense button at the same time?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

• Re: Can you setup Capacitive Proximity sensor and Capacitive button at the same time?
          BigG

Have you asked the question on https://community.cypress.com/welcome  as that is the official Cypress forum and you will get a response from the company's technical staff.

Otherwise, I might be able to assist.

Firstly, what are you using for your cap sense button design as the board does not include a built in capsense button.

Then which project did you try? Did you try this option, for example: CE210291 - PSoC® 4 CapSense® Low-Power One Button

The documentation for that example is pretty thorough. At the back of the documentation it walks you through the capsense tuner tool, which is something you may need to use. This will quickly tell you how effective your cap sense button design is.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Can you setup Capacitive Proximity sensor and Capacitive button at the same time?
              cypsam

Hi  BigG, thank you for taking the time to reply.

About  https://community.cypress.com/welcome, I did not know about this Cypress forum.

You are correct, the board I am using does not have a capsense button. I had some custom capsense buttons made that I am connecting to the board.

I started with the proximity example, then moded the project to my needs. For implementing the button, I watched Alan Hawse vid at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2bmWi6jX04, and went thru the example CE210291_CapSense_P4_One_Button, which is probably the same example you mentioned above but labelled differently.

As of now, as a general comment I am not able to find an example where the proximity Function and the capsense button are used together in one project which made me wonder if this is not feasible with the board I have.

I will go back and review the documentation you mentioned and also touch base with the folks at Cypress.

I will post an update once i find out more.

Thanks!

BigG

Well it all starts in the "TopDesign" screen and it is probably easier to modify an example that works for you.

Depending on which example you choose to work from, i.e. Proximity or CE210291 Button, you may see slight differences with the component you see on this screen. Could be either a CapSenseCSD component (found in my proximity example) or a CapSense component (found in Button example). Basically they are one and the same.

In CapSenseCSD you can add in a button as follows:

In Capsense it will be as follows.... I note in my example they used manual tuning. You would probably need to change this to auto tune for proximity part and if so you also need to change the modulator clock frequency (found in Advanced tab and CSD settings).

Hope that helps.