4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2019 11:15 AM by geralds

Bug, or Spam, or... Danger? -> Virus?

geralds

Dear E14 Support,

I'm browsing through your communities, checking my status, trying some tests, seeking some "easter eggs",,,,,,, etc...

Then I came to this "easter egg" link - its an old link:

Quick Start Utility

After clicking on the first image because i liked to see the details on it, then - a behind link shows to an external URL (this URL is under the latest image as direct link // ack.me ----)

-> Pengs! a warning website popped up, and during reading this message, few seconds, my display went to black, switched to black display!

After closing that website, I wrote this question here, as it had no problems before.

But now, I'm not sure, if I had have earned a virus into my PC.

I must now check this. grrrrr…..

Wow!. Why???? Is there an embedded code, or virus???"""???

Best Regards

Gerald

---

• Re: Bug, or Spam, or... Danger? -> Virus?
          Christopher Stanton

> a warning website popped up,

Having clicked on the link myself, it appears to be the standard 'the certificate for this website isn't correct' message.

> and during reading this message, few seconds, my display went to black, switched to black display!

I suspect this is coincidence, or a cable was knocked.

> Wow!. Why???? Is there an embedded code, or virus???"""???

I don't believe so, the warning message doesn't even come from the website itself, it's your web browser. Still making sure your system is clean of viruses wouldn't hurt.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              geralds

Yes, the warning comes from my own IE browser.

But I would like to ask E14 support to check this link.

I did not click this link because I did not want to catch a potentially virus.

My system is clean, I check it every day. I do not blindly browse everywhere.

Something that can be, I'm definitely trying to find now, is that my IE, and I think every IE from MS could have this problem, not just my browser, that lately it is no longer properly managed by MS will and could not work properly anymore.

I have noticed that since October 2018 service pack update, the IE has problems with the tabs.

He can not decide whether to open a new page or a new tab if a new URL is addressed.

I have set the setting in IE: "always open a new page". This applies to my local programs, like the Adobe Reader, as well as the IE itself, when I start a new URL.

Soon I will talk to MS, but first I want to nail down this problem.

For links that are linked behind a picture, I am particularly careful.

You can also install e.g. a Trojan in a picture, that's what I wanted to ask here at E14, if that would be the case here.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Best Regards

Gerald

---

Christopher Stanton

Internet Explorer's not the best web browser to use these days as it's very out of date. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera are typically better overall.

geralds

Hi Christopher cstanton ,

Current:

The IE11 seems to be infected and at the same time I had in the last few days on my PC, a test software from Win10pro from MS, on the occasion of Windows Insider program, installed.

With this version, the IE11 funny way a track works differently.

So, as I found out now, the IE 11 suddenly can not save cookies in the INetCookies folder.

It stores the visited pages in INetCache, but no necessary session cookies in its folder.

That can be now, because this above link in the picture really in the picture something ... virus? was built in, now blocks my cookies.

But it may also be that the new installation that happened at the same time, without me having a chance to find the problem before, is now a problem with IE of this new IE.

Now, the last few days I had talked to MS, but have not gotten an answer yet.

Today, I also found that IE is very strict about its security settings, that sometimes you can not press a button on the web pages. I'll check that down more in the next few days.

From today I work with Chrome.

Well, the web and ..... a prayer please ...

I ask you to check this link and the image for viruses.

Also!!!! Please check your OLD web posts, because these old pages are often not updated, but are on your servers as a "hotbed" for bacteria and viruses.

This can easily be brought up as an entry gate for recently visited pages, brought into the present if someone happens to want to read those pages.

Well, happened to stumble on it, like me, for example.

Best Regards

Gerald

---